internet access while travelling in australia

Old January 19th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Robm

Default internet access while travelling in australia

Hello,

I will be traveling for about 5 weeks in Australia, one week in Sydney, a
few days in Adelaide, a roadtrip from there to Melborne, a week on
Mornington. I understand that internet cafes tend to be pricey and not
ubiquitous. In addition, I need to be able to VPN into various computer
networks in Canada, something that's usually impossible from an internet
cafe. Is it possible to make a a short term deal with a dial-up isp with a
country wide (or at least SA, NSW and VIC) access number? I was looking at
ii and their iidialup2 lite package. Would that work? They have a nation
wide access number that works for residential customers of Atlantis,
Discovery, Explorer, Freedom and, you guessed it, iidialup2. Are these
providers common? would this work in a hotel? How about from a public phone
booth, assuming that public phones have modem plugins (not a good aasumption
maybe)?

The other thing that comes up a lot on Google is dialer.net
(http://australia.dialer.net/rates.html). Anybody has any experience with
that concept? I can't find anything in Google Groups on that, makes you
think...

Any and all comments appreciated!

Old January 19th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Alan

|"Robm" wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| I will be traveling for about 5 weeks in Australia, one week in Sydney, a
| few days in Adelaide, a roadtrip from there to Melborne, a week on
| Mornington. I understand that internet cafes tend to be pricey and not
| ubiquitous. In addition, I need to be able to VPN into various computer
| networks in Canada, something that's usually impossible from an internet
| cafe. Is it possible to make a a short term deal with a dial-up isp with a
| country wide (or at least SA, NSW and VIC) access number? I was looking at
| ii and their iidialup2 lite package. Would that work? They have a nation
| wide access number that works for residential customers of Atlantis,
| Discovery, Explorer, Freedom and, you guessed it, iidialup2. Are these
| providers common? would this work in a hotel? How about from a public
| phone booth, assuming that public phones have modem plugins (not a good
| aasumption maybe)?
|
| The other thing that comes up a lot on Google is dialer.net
| (http://australia.dialer.net/rates.html). Anybody has any experience with
| that concept? I can't find anything in Google Groups on that, makes you
| think...
|
| Any and all comments appreciated!

Hi

The others are all quite correct - I've just spent six weeks wandering
NSW and VIC without a computer. Cafes are relatively cheap, but
libraries are cheaper. They're usually free (only one charged me on this
trip, $3.30 for an hour) but usually only open weekdays 10-4:30. You
will also find that many of the smaller towns have internet access in
the town's tourist advice centre.

Cheers, Alan
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:28 AM
Peter Webb

How about from a public phone booth, assuming that public phones have
modem
plugins (not a good aasumption maybe)?

Public phone?

Pretty much everybody owns a mobile phone; I wasn't aware that public
phone
booths still exist.

Sorry, but your implied smiley is a little bit too invisible for the
average foreigner. (OTOH, if you're *not* kidding, then you're rather
uninformed about mobile phone coverage or/and public phone ubiquity in
Oz (Yes, I know that mobile phone coverage is (probably) no problem for
where the *OP* is going, but that's not the/my point. OTTH, he is going
on a "roadtrip" from Adelaide to Melbourne and is a week on Mornington,
whatever/wherever that may be, so it might still be a problem for him as
well.).)

The Monington Peninsula is the bit of Melbourne that extends down the east
side of the bay. It is basically a string of (mostly) pleasant beach side
dormitory suburbs. The Sydney equivalent would be the central coast.