Looking for an easy 1-day trip out of Munich to see lake/mountainscenery and sights

Old July 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Leo

Default Looking for an easy 1-day trip out of Munich to see lake/mountainscenery and sights

I am looking for an easy 1-day trip out of Munich to see lake/mountain
scenery as well as some interesting and/or historical sights. I
emphasize "easy" because I already planned several 1-day trips for my
1 week in Munich, so want this day not to be too exhausting.

Seems that my best bet is taking a train to Prien am Chiemsee to the
Chiemsee lake, and then a boat to the Herrenchiemsee island to see the
Herrenchiemsee palace. Is that a good idea?

Any other ideas/suggestion for such 1-day trip?

Thank you!
Old July 10th, 2009, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sheila Page[_2_]

In message
, Leo
writes
I am looking for an easy 1-day trip out of Munich to see lake/mountain
scenery as well as some interesting and/or historical sights. I
emphasize "easy" because I already planned several 1-day trips for my
1 week in Munich, so want this day not to be too exhausting.

Seems that my best bet is taking a train to Prien am Chiemsee to the
Chiemsee lake, and then a boat to the Herrenchiemsee island to see the
Herrenchiemsee palace. Is that a good idea?

Any other ideas/suggestion for such 1-day trip?

Thank you!

Definitely a good idea: after reading your first paragraph, that was
exactly what I was about to suggest. There are sometimes evening
concerts in the palace: I don't know if this would fit in with trains,
but you might want to check.

--
---
Sheila Page
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Jul 10, 4:30*pm, Leo wrote:
I am looking for an easy 1-day trip out of Munich to see lake/mountain
scenery as well as some interesting and/or historical sights. I
emphasize "easy" because I already planned several 1-day trips for my
1 week in Munich, so want this day not to be too exhausting.

Seems that my best bet is taking a train to Prien am Chiemsee to the
Chiemsee lake, and then a boat to the Herrenchiemsee island to see the
Herrenchiemsee palace. Is that a good idea?

Any other ideas/suggestion for such 1-day trip?

Thank you!

If you want both mountains and a lake, go to the Koenigssee by
Berchtesgaden, some of Germany's finest alpine scenery can be seen on
a boat ride along the lake. If you have time, combine it with a trip
to Hitler's Eagle's Nest or the salt mine.

There is nothing wrong with a visit to Herrenchiemsee Palace, Ludwig
II's version of Versailles, on an island in the Chiemsee so you get
that boat ride, but not the mountains. If you have the time, visit
the island nextdoor with the convent, Fraueninsel, if you choose to do
this.
Old July 10th, 2009, 11:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 07:30:15 -0700 (PDT), Leo
wrote:

I am looking for an easy 1-day trip out of Munich to see lake/mountain
scenery as well as some interesting and/or historical sights. I
emphasize "easy" because I already planned several 1-day trips for my
1 week in Munich, so want this day not to be too exhausting.

Seems that my best bet is taking a train to Prien am Chiemsee to the
Chiemsee lake, and then a boat to the Herrenchiemsee island to see the
Herrenchiemsee palace. Is that a good idea?

Any other ideas/suggestion for such 1-day trip?

I recommend a trip to the top of the Zugspitze, the highest
mountin in Germany, although the top is shared with Austria (walk
around a bit and you keep changing countries).

It's accessible by rail to Garmisch-Partenchirche, then you can
take rail all the way to the top, by cog-railway. Or, you can
take a fantastic cable-gondola ride to the top. or you can do a
round trip, up by gondola, down by cog-railway.

There is a package ticket you can buy for the whole return trip.

Fantastic view from the top. There's a cafe at the top for a
snack of beer and sausage.

Old July 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article daeb3d72-8af8-4033-994d-650d64fcd752
@k30g2000yqf.googlegroups.com, says...

If you want both mountains and a lake, go to the Koenigssee by
Berchtesgaden, some of Germany's finest alpine scenery can be seen on
a boat ride along the lake. If you have time, combine it with a trip
to Hitler's Eagle's Nest or the salt mine.

2 hours + to get to Berchtesgaden from Munich. Quite a long drive.
--

Alfred Molon
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article fd72bea5-9fd1-418c-909e-213e791841a0
@p28g2000vbn.googlegroups.com, Leo says...
I am looking for an easy 1-day trip out of Munich to see lake/mountain
scenery as well as some interesting and/or historical sights. I
emphasize "easy" because I already planned several 1-day trips for my
1 week in Munich, so want this day not to be too exhausting.

Seems that my best bet is taking a train to Prien am Chiemsee to the
Chiemsee lake, and then a boat to the Herrenchiemsee island to see the
Herrenchiemsee palace. Is that a good idea?

Any other ideas/suggestion for such 1-day trip?

While Herrenchiemsee is a beautiful castle, there is not much mountain
scenery around it.

If you have your own transportation (rent a car for one day), drive to
Garmisch Partenkirchen and from there to the Zugspitze cablecar.
On the way back, or if you prefer in the morning before you reach
Garmisch, stop at the Linderhof castle, a beautiful small castle in a
breathtaking alpine setting.
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with Alfred but would mention one thing. CHECK the WEATHER prior to
going all the way to Garmisch. I've gone up the Zugspitze and .. just as we
got to the top - since it was a cloudy day - we were in a cloud and couldn't
enjoy the view. You can see the cross , but no sweeping views.
You can also go down the other side for dining in restaurant.

http://www.ricksteves.com/tms/article.cfm?id=119

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...s_Bavaria.html

Old October 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean[_5_]

The restaurant Degustini in Munich is non smoking :
http://smokefreeworld.com/germany.shtml
Old October 12th, 2009, 01:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 08:09:10 -0400, "- Bobb -"
wrote:

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
m...

If you have your own transportation (rent a car for one day), drive to
Garmisch Partenkirchen and from there to the Zugspitze cablecar.
On the way back, or if you prefer in the morning before you reach
Garmisch, stop at the Linderhof castle, a beautiful small castle in a
breathtaking alpine setting.

I agree with Alfred but would mention one thing. CHECK the WEATHER prior to
going all the way to Garmisch. I've gone up the Zugspitze and .. just as we
got to the top - since it was a cloudy day - we were in a cloud and couldn't
enjoy the view. You can see the cross , but no sweeping views.
You can also go down the other side for dining in restaurant.

I would add that there is train service from Muenchn Hbf to
Garmish. And that there is more than one way to reach the top of
the Zugspitze. a few years ago we took the train to Garmish and
another railroad (but not, IIRC, the cog railway) a little ways
up, then got off and took the cable gondolas to the top.
Returning we took another gondola down to the Zugspitze cor rail
station and took that down to the bottom.

You can buy a single ticket that covers all the Zugspitze
transit.

Old October 12th, 2009, 03:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

Alfred Molon wrote:
[...]

Garmisch Partenkirchen is a great place. We stayed there for a few
days. The scenery is incredible. Of all the places I have travelled I
had the warmest hospitality in G-P.