Canaries

Old January 11th, 2010, 10:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

Default Canaries

We're thinking of trying the Canaries for the first time, maybe for a
month, for some cheapish Feb or March sun.
We're not beach people - more sights, scenery, eating.
Have scoured the websites to see which island might keep us less bored
for this time!
No real result, apart from maybe Lanzarote's volcanic scenery.
Are the Canaries really this uninteresting?
Any suggestions?
Or is it back to our already well beaten N. Africa/Middle East sun
spots?
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Surreyman:

We're thinking of trying the Canaries for the first time, maybe for a
month, for some cheapish Feb or March sun.
We're not beach people - more sights, scenery, eating.

Are the Canaries really this uninteresting?

For a whole month, I think no island is interesting enough, unless you
want to mingle with (and live like) local folks.

Have you considered a one month "several islands trip"? You seem like
those who would like to explore interesting islands with a lot of
scenery and history, so how about:
- 4 days Lanzarote
- 4 days Menorca
- 1 week Malta
- 1 week Korfu
- 1 week Cyprus
(or similar)

Of course, this would require lots more preparation and some travel
budget.

If you are into geocaching, I think two or (at the most) three islands
would be more than sufficient to see not only the beaten paths, but
also many, many unknown interesting spots and highlights. And keep you
busy for a month.

--
Erick
Old January 11th, 2010, 01:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Erick T. Barkhuis" wrote in message
Surreyman:

We're thinking of trying the Canaries for the first time, maybe for a
month, for some cheapish Feb or March sun.
We're not beach people - more sights, scenery, eating.

Are the Canaries really this uninteresting?

For a whole month, I think no island is interesting enough, unless you
want to mingle with (and live like) local folks.

Have you considered a one month "several islands trip"? You seem like
those who would like to explore interesting islands with a lot of
scenery and history, so how about:
- 4 days Lanzarote
- 4 days Menorca
- 1 week Malta
- 1 week Korfu
- 1 week Cyprus

I was going to suggest the Greek Islands. There is much more scope for
moving Island every four/five days. Not sure if this is a good idea in Feb
though

tim

Old January 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

tim.... wrote on Jan 11, 2010:

[...]

I wouldn't have thought so - most things will be closed for the winter and
it's likely to be cold and wet - less so than the UK - but still not very
enjoyable

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old January 11th, 2010, 02:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Mon, 11 Jan 2010 02:55:06 -0800 (PST) schrieb Surreyman:

We're thinking of trying the Canaries for the first time, maybe for a
month, for some cheapish Feb or March sun.
We're not beach people - more sights, scenery, eating.
Have scoured the websites to see which island might keep us less bored
for this time!
No real result, apart from maybe Lanzarote's volcanic scenery.
Are the Canaries really this uninteresting?
Any suggestions?

I would choose Tenerife. There you will have both beach, but also vulcanic
scenery. It's one of the bigger islands, so theres is plenty to see or to
do. When you have a month time you can also take a day trip to one of the
other smaller islands by ferry. Or take a boat to do whale watching (if you
don't get easily seasick). The weather in southern Tenerife should also be
pleasantly warm in Feb or March. The area around the Teide volcano is great
for hiking. You can rent a car and drive it up to over 3000 metres altitude
(and in Feb you could have a bit of snow up there, while it is 20 degrees
down at the beach). The Loro-Parque is also worth a visit (great park with
aquarium and parrots). If you are the adventurous type, you can also book a
Quad-Safari in the desert.

I've been to most of the Canary Islands and I personally find Tenerife the
one with the most different landscapes.

Gran Canaria is mostly desert, Lanzarote mostly vulcanic scenery, but not
really forest, Fuerteventura is only beach and desert (and to windy in
Feb). As for variety, I would go for Tenerife.

Regards,

Frank
Old January 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am 11 Jan 2010 11:09:34 GMT schrieb Erick T. Barkhuis:

Surreyman:

We're thinking of trying the Canaries for the first time, maybe for a
month, for some cheapish Feb or March sun.
We're not beach people - more sights, scenery, eating.

Are the Canaries really this uninteresting?

For a whole month, I think no island is interesting enough, unless you
want to mingle with (and live like) local folks.

Have you considered a one month "several islands trip"? You seem like
those who would like to explore interesting islands with a lot of
scenery and history, so how about:
- 4 days Lanzarote
- 4 days Menorca
- 1 week Malta
- 1 week Korfu
- 1 week Cyprus
(or similar)

You know how far it is from the Canaries to Cyprus? Thats well a few
thousand miles and will cost you a lot.

I would limit myself to either the Canaries or some islands in the
mediterrenean. Menorca could be a bit too cold in Feb imho.

Regards,

Frank
Old January 11th, 2010, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:49:17 +0100, Frank Hucklenbroich wrote in post :
:

Fuerteventura is only beach and desert (and to windy

Hence the name :-)

--
Tim C.
Old January 11th, 2010, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sheila Page[_2_]

In message , Frank
Hucklenbroich writes
[...]

Tenerife is certainly fine to visit in Feb or March, but there are short
flights between the islands, so why not Tenerife plus Lanzarote, maybe
plus Gran Canaria (very different from Tenerife, so worth considering).
Yes, you will need a car in any of them.

If you are interested in el Teide, it used to be necessary to arrange in
advance on its website if you want to go the top.

Sheila

--
---
Sheila Page
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

On 11 Jan, 11:09, "Erick T. Barkhuis"
wrote:
Surreyman:

[...]

Yep, we're into geocaching, but I suspect the wife wouldn't want a
month of it!
Good thought, though, for some of the time. Thanks.

Surreyman
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_2_]

On 11 Jan, 14:51, Frank Hucklenbroich wrote:
[...]

Frank- Hide quoted text -

Yep, only Cyprus probably has the temps, but we've 'done' Cyprus
stooopid!

Surreyman