Storage of photos whilst travelling?

Old November 14th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Miguel Cruz

Default Storage of photos whilst travelling?

Mxsmanic wrote:
This is the main reason why digital isn't always a wise choice for
travel, unless you are travelling in large cities in developed countries
only.

I find it much easier to deal with a digital camera (and internet access,
etc.) in countries at a medium level of development than in the "first
world". Many more facilities and they're much more affordable.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 14th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Miguel Cruz

JB wrote:
I don't quite understand why people are suggesting uploading the photos.
What kind of bandwidth are you going to get in an Internet Cafe? How long
will it take to upload 128, 256 or 512 MB of data? Too long.

Depends on where you are. In Senegal you're going to be sharing a 28.8K
modem connection with 10 people and it'll drop twice an hour. In Malaysia,
especially if you go in the evening, you're going to have enough bandwidth
to upload a 1-megabyte file in about 20 or 30 seconds. Granted, that still
adds up if you have a hundred photos to do, but it's manageable. You can
deal with your email and putter on Usenet while they're transferring.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 14th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Jeremy

Mxsmanic wrote in message . ..
JB writes:

I don't quite understand why people are suggesting uploading the photos.
What kind of bandwidth are you going to get in an Internet Cafe? How long
will it take to upload 128, 256 or 512 MB of data? Too long.

There are still a lot of problems with digital photography for travel.
That's why I still suggest shooting film.

Film has its own problems for travel photography - how can you be sure
that you got a shot of that once-in-a-lifetime visit? Did your
pictures inside the church come out, or was it too dark? Is there any
point taking pictures of that firework display? No way to know until
you get your film processed ...

The best thing to get is undoubtedly an iPod, but another solution is
a standalone CD burner that accepts memory cards. I saw a review of
one recently but I can't remember the brand ...

J.
Old November 14th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Reid

Following up to Mxsmanic

There are still a lot of problems with digital photography for travel.
That's why I still suggest shooting film.

the problem is wider than travel, how do you secure your images
without large backup procedures, home burned CDs have a limited
life. Hard disks crash. Systems change.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old November 14th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Mxsmanic

Jeremy writes:

Film has its own problems for travel photography - how can you be sure
that you got a shot of that once-in-a-lifetime visit?

You have it developed before you leave.

Old November 14th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Mxsmanic

Reid writes:

the problem is wider than travel, how do you secure your images
without large backup procedures, home burned CDs have a limited
life. Hard disks crash. Systems change.

There are a lot of hidden problems with digital. The number of problems
is no greater than with film overall, but the problems are less well
understood by the novice, and thus more dangerous. Also, many of the
problems are serious now (lack of infrastructure, for example), although
they won't be as serious years from now.

Most of the world is still shooting film, and the most popular type of
camera is the disposable film camera.

Old November 14th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Mxsmanic

Thomas Gartner writes:

Every little drug store around the corner provides images based on
digitals.

That depends on where you are going. Sometimes there isn't any drug
store. Sometimes there isn't even any corner.

Old November 14th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Reid

Following up to Thomas Gartner

You can handle that just the same as with classic photos: put the best
images on paper. You do that probably when you get back home,
though. No point in carrying all the photos around all the time.

Every little drug store around the corner provides images based on
digitals. Costs are low and you only need to get those images that are
worth it.

depends how much quality you want, for snaps paper beats all,
still works when damaged. If you need quality, its harder, you
need big TIFFs/other lossless format (not JPEG) or
slides/negatives.
Old November 14th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Reid

Following up to Mxsmanic

There are a lot of hidden problems with digital. The number of problems
is no greater than with film overall, but the problems are less well
understood by the novice

In ten years time a lot of people who didn't really understand
the materials they were using will be left older and wiser with
no photos. :-(