Film Cameras in Checked Luggage

Old August 14th, 2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
James Robinson

Default Film Cameras in Checked Luggage

Frank Slootweg wrote:

James Robinson wrote:
Frank Slootweg wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

Frank Slootweg wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

You can still carry cameras aboard on flights originating in
the USA. The only place in the world that restricts you are
flights originating in the UK.

I think you are mistaken. Our (August 12) newspaper had a
picture of (*TSA*) guards at Denver airport disallowing a bottle
of babyfood in passenger's carryon luggage. Last time I checked,
Denver was not in the UK (Well, at least the UK one doesn't have
TSA staff.).

Baby food is not a camera, which was the subject at hand.

I realize(d) that. My point is that it was at least implied that
only flight originating in the UK had/have restrictions. That's
clearly not the case. Also I don't see why a camera would be
treated differently than the other electronic items which
*were/are* banned. So I think it's safe to assume that, at least
for some time, cameras were banned also on flights which did not
originate in the UK.

Electronic items were not banned in carry-on bags in the US, nor are
they now banned. The only restrictions were on liquids/gels/pastes.
You could carry your cell phone, laptop, PDA, camera, etc. aboard in
your carry-on bags.

I was not talking about "in the US". I was and am objecting to your
"The only place in the world that restricts you are flights
originating in the UK.". That was just plain wrong, both for baby food
and cameras. Example of the latter: Passenger had to check in camera
on flight from Perth, Australia, via Singapore, to London. Yes the
*onward* flight was from London (to Amsterdam), i.e. "originating in
the UK", but with a *different* airline and the camera had already to
be checked in in Perth.

You have a strange way of pointing that out.

The original poster said that you couldn't carry cameras on board,
implying that it applied everywhere in the world. I pointed out that the
only place that restricted the carriage of cameras in carry-on bags was
the UK. You then brought up baby food in Denver, (assuming that the baby
hadn't brought it up first) which was clearly a non-sequitor.

You then mention that electronic equipment was banned, implying that such
equipment was banned everywhere. I then pointed out that the ban only
applied to flights originating in the UK, and used the US as an example,
which has no general ban on electronic equipment. (Many people at the
time this was posted thought they couldn't carry laptops aboard, even in
the US.)

Now you are saying that the ban applied to people who would be connecting
in the UK, which had nothing to do with baby food in Denver, and
certainly wasn't a general ban. It involved a route that would have the
passenger connecting in the UK, which does have the ban.

So what this all boils down to, is that at the time of the original
posting, cameras couldn't be carried aboard flights originating in the
UK. By extension, that included flights in other countries where the
passenger would be connecting to a flight originating in the UK. Cameras
were not a problem on other flights outside of the UK.

All of this is now moot, in that the UK permits a small carry-on tote
bag, and as long as your camera will fit in the bag, you can carry it
aboard.
Old August 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
sharkbait999

Yes, battery powered wrist watches make them electrical as defined by other
posters, so they would be prohibited as well. Even if you take the battery
out of the watch, it probably has a capacitor in it with a charge capable of
detonating a nuclear bomb. Don't fret, on those long international runs,
the flight attendants will be selling duty free mechanical watches. Now, I
wonder about those hearing aids? Who said the airlines were going to go
broke over this paranoia? This is getting better than Girls Gone Wild!

rg

P.S. Like shampoo, why do you need a watch on the flight? The only thing
that matters is that you get there.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Are wrist watches prohibited? Or would mechanical watches be allowed,
but electronic watches forbidden?

Are all writing implements with fliud ink forbidden? Would it be
sufficient to emty the ink from a fountain pen? How would you remove
the ink from a ball point pen, a roller ball pen, or a felt tip marker?

None of these are explicitly listed on the lists of permitted or
prohibited itmes.

Old August 14th, 2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

nicandal wrote:

wrote:

Be suspicious of any Islamic types ordering alcoholic drinks on a
flight. Their religion forbids drinking, and alcohol can prove quite
flammable. But will the airlines stop serving it?

Cori

Heh heh. Cori, what would you like the airlines to do - really,
practically do - with this piece of "knowledge"? Islam does not require
its followers to carry an ID card, no more than do all those who say
they are Muslims shun all alcohol, no more can an airline reasonably
discriminate between who is allowed alcohol and who is not on any kind
of religious grounds for that would be them imposing their
interpretation of a religion upon their passengers. Would you like them
to stop serving pork to "Jewish types" too? If you find this ridiculous
then you don't understand.

I suspect the airlines don't serve alcohol in any quantity such that it
is particularly hazardous already. I doubt anyone gets the bottle left
with them.

Well, even the individual serving size bottles of booze they
DO leave with the passengers could probably start a
respectable fire if someone had a mind to, but it seems
highly unlikely anyone would use such a roundabout method!

Old August 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
tim[_1_]

nicandal wrote:

wrote:

[...]

But this a is *exactly* the kind of thing that a good
espionage operative should be looking to use.

Though I will accecpt that he recent crop of espionage
operatives don't appear to have reached the competence
level of good .

tim

Old August 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
ant[_3_]

Frank Slootweg wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
"Larry in Berkeley" wrote:

If you are travelling by air with a film camera, don't forget
that now all airlines require cameras to be in checked luggage,
not carried on board.

You can still carry cameras aboard on flights originating in the
USA. The only place in the world that restricts you are flights
originating in the UK.

I think you are mistaken. Our (August 12) newspaper had a picture of
(*TSA*) guards at Denver airport disallowing a bottle of babyfood in
passenger's carryon luggage. Last time I checked, Denver was not in
the UK (Well, at least the UK one doesn't have TSA staff.).

[deleted]

Baby food is liquid. Liquids are banned in the US.

They won't need bombs, the babies will be going off like land mines. Take
earplugs!

--
ant

Old August 15th, 2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz

tim wrote:

nicandal wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well, what would you expect of spies whose intention is to
immolate themselves along with their prey?

Old August 15th, 2006, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
yaofeng

Larry in Berkeley wrote:
If you are travelling by air with a film camera, don't forget that now
all airlines require cameras to be in checked luggage, not carried on
board. It is absolutely essential to have the film (and the camera
containing film) in a lead pouch. Otherwise, many strong x-rays used
for checked luggage will fry all your film.

Camera stores have or can get the lead pouches.

On my last trip, I had some instant coffee in a plastic container with
a small silver-plated spoon. One of the x-ray machines was so strong
that it melted and solidified all the coffee! Not exactly film safe!

Larry in Berkeley, California

The thieves in baggage handling (or TSA) will have a bounty picking
cameras off checked bags. I had my digital camera stolen two years ago
in checked luggage. I'll check it with the TSA and get a receipt if
they insist on putting it in checked bags.

Old August 19th, 2006, 07:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 10:42:22 +0100, "tim"
wrote:

"James Robinson" wrote in message
"Larry in Berkeley" wrote:

If you are travelling by air with a film camera, don't forget that now
all airlines require cameras to be in checked luggage, not carried on
board.

You can still carry cameras aboard on flights originating in the USA. The
only place in the world that restricts you are flights originating in the
UK.

As of today this restriction has been removed.

There will apparently be a few days whilst the airports
discourage it, but HMG have officially now allowed them again.

tim

Have you ever noticed that increased restricitions take effect
instantly but when they are relaxed it "takes a few days for them to
filter into the system and for people to be trained." Odd is it not?

And in fact, sometimes it takes years and even when shown their own
web pages or memos, they refuse to believe something is permitted
onboard.

JIm P.