art auctions

Old February 11th, 2006, 02:46 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default art auctions

In article , RICK DAVIS
wrote:

To mass produce a product is also the only way some people
can afford beautiful art to enjoy. But when you say its not art your
wrong. Your just being a boorish snob. Who are you the Art Police to
deem what is art and what isn't?

No, just that my definition of art does not include mass produced
factory products. Mass production is commodity production done by
loborers. It was not created by an artist or craftsman The factory
product may very well be beautiful but that does not make it art. My
definition of art is that the work is made or crafted by the artist. If
you want to call that snobbish so be it.

There must some positive aspect to the auctions or they wouldn't be a
popular as they are.

Sure. It is positive for the cruise line and the auction company. They
reap a nice profit from items that are cheap to produce. Popularity
doesn't prove anything in itself. As PT. Barnum used to say, there is a
sucker born every minute.

--
Charles
Old February 11th, 2006, 03:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

The factory product may very well be beautiful but that does not make
it art.

Peanut Charles:

The point is to appreciate it. Don't be a dope. I love my original
art AND I love my purchases from the various ships. Is one more
authentic than the other? Yup. But heck, I even appreciate the frames
I have. Don't be such a snobby art whore -- just enjoy. And while
someone else might not appreciate art as we do, maybe someone will get
a thrill from taking part in the experience of buying art on board.
Maybe it will even guide them into going into a real gallery for the
first time. Just enjoy your cruises and all they have to offer. Don't
be such a petty puss!

Old February 11th, 2006, 04:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Got my 2 kinkades for $20.00 bought 2 jig saw puzzlws put them together
and used puzzle saver,framed them and when someone sees them they do not
know the difference,unless they get very very close,and we enjoy them
just as much as a lithograph of his art

(.a cruise lover.)

Old February 11th, 2006, 07:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Congratulations Charles on being able to only afford original
masterpieces from great artists. That must be the only art you have
hanging in your home. Other wise you have no art. Would you care to
list all the great master you have hanging? You are such a snob! You
must be a lot of fun to eat dinner with. The only sucker here is
you...and your twisted beliefs. If there was any fraud here it would
not continue on cruise line after cruise line, ship after ship, year
after year. I've proven you wrong and you can't accept it. Now I
challenge you to prove fraud as you have claimed. Prove where any of
this art is fraud or copies. Or are you just talking out of your blow
hole? Every item shown is presented as a copy, collectors portfolio,
lithograph, syrolithograph, original, animation cell, sports
memorabilia, autograph or sketch (did I forget one). What part of the
auction went over your head when your heard everything is a Xerox Copy?
Or were you too busy chugging down the free champagne because it free?
Give everyone here a break will ya. Next cruise go back to an auction
and listen. Then go back to your inside cabin on deck 3 and read the
material they give you. Its free...and learn something. Quit talking
out out bum hole and pay attention. Then pull that lump of coal out of
your butt...it will never turn into a diamond you tight as*.

Old February 11th, 2006, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Peanut Charles -

You're really stupid. And you don't make many good points, do you?
No, you don't. And you use far too many fragments.

Old February 11th, 2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"RICK DAVIS" wrote in message
Congratulations Charles on being able to only afford original
masterpieces from great artists.

Original doesn't mean masterpiece or great artist.

There are many artists who paint wonderful pieces at affordable prices.
They even use the sales to pay mortgages, buy food for their families, etc.

You don't need to spend millions or even thousands to get a nice original
piece. And it's not made in some sweat shop art factory ten thousand copies
at a time.

The same couple hundred bucks you might spend on a ship can buy an original
from a local gallery.

--Tom

Old February 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Why would someone who appears to have never posted anywhere before February
3rd and now has a grand total of 9 posts suddenly start calling people
names.

Charles and I don't always get along, but I would never call him stupid.

If your note #10 is as nasty as the last few, I'll never see note #11.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

oups.com...

Old February 11th, 2006, 11:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Tom K" wrote in message

Original doesn't mean masterpiece or great artist.

There are many artists who paint wonderful pieces at affordable prices.
They even use the sales to pay mortgages, buy food for their families,
etc.

You don't need to spend millions or even thousands to get a nice original
piece. And it's not made in some sweat shop art factory ten thousand
copies at a time.

The same couple hundred bucks you might spend on a ship can buy an
original from a local gallery.

--Tom

Whatever "art" I had in the house my wife and I shared I gave to my daughter
and replaced it with movie posters.

When I moved here in 1988 I did my living room in original pastels by
unknown artists and one by a guy named Reynolds, whose drawing of a horse
was bought by my wife in 1958 and now hangs in my kid's apartment.

The den and hallway are Disney classic posters, a Disney cell, and the only
thing I have that might be of value, an original MGM poster for "That's
Entertainment", and a signed poster by the stars of "Chaplin"..

My bedroom is stuff I bought from the Smithsonian when Danni lived in
Washington.

My point is that art is and should be in the eye of the beholder. If you
like it, and it fits, then buy it.

Making this post "on topic", I have seen art on ships that I would have
brought into my home if I had the room.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old February 12th, 2006, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 2/9/06 9:58 AM RICK DAVIS consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:
My Thomas Kinkade's were purchased for hundreds less on board than in
the local gallery. Many hundreds less. I took the paperwork and bill
of sale into my local gallery and was informed by the gallery it was a
fantastic deal and they could have never sold me what I bought for at
the price I bought for. So its not all smoke and mirrors. Shortly
after I bought "Quiet Evening" it sold out. It has increased in value
and is a signed & numbered limited edition. You buy art to enjoy. You
also invest in a nice frame to accent what you enjoy looking at. Just
like you landscape your yard to accent your house. Some people pay more
(professional vs. do it yourself) than others.....and its obvious.

All well and good if you happen to like the work of a "paint-by-numbers"
artist. Kinkade is Andy Warhol's pop-art with sentiment. Mass produced.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old February 12th, 2006, 04:29 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

On 2/10/06 9:23 PM consulted a Magic 8 Ball and
declared:
The factory product may very well be beautiful but that does not make
it art.

Peanut Charles:

The point is to appreciate it. Don't be a dope. I love my original
art AND I love my purchases from the various ships. Is one more
authentic than the other? Yup. But heck, I even appreciate the frames
I have. Don't be such a snobby art whore -- just enjoy. And while
someone else might not appreciate art as we do, maybe someone will get
a thrill from taking part in the experience of buying art on board.
Maybe it will even guide them into going into a real gallery for the
first time. Just enjoy your cruises and all they have to offer. Don't
be such a petty puss!

The thrill of buying art on board is the same thrill of buying it in a
shopping mall. As an artist I patronize original art. Yep, it's a
political thing for me. That's the real thrill, to buy something that
hasn't been mass produced - to have an original! Even if the artist is
unknown, and the price was only $5.00. You come out of it not only with
an original work of beauty, but you may have helped that artist pay
his/her rent with your purchase. Be a patron of artists and not the
mass marketers.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera