camping in Sequoia and Yosemite

Old March 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Wipower

Default camping in Sequoia and Yosemite

Hi all,

could you please suggest me a nice camping to stay in yosemite and sequoia
national parks with a tent.

I should arrive there from 2th august.
Thanks

wip

Old March 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

"Wipower" wrote:
could you please suggest me a nice camping to stay
in yosemite and sequoia national parks with a tent.
I should arrive there from 2th august.

You'd better start making reservations for camping
spots, if you plan to stay inside the parks --
Check out...
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Old March 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"Wipower" wrote:
could you please suggest me a nice camping to stay
in yosemite and sequoia national parks with a tent.
I should arrive there from 2th august.

You'd better start making reservations for camping
spots, if you plan to stay inside the parks --
Check out...
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Note that while some of the Yosemite campgrounds have mandatory
reservations, others have sites that are first come, first served. But that
having been said, be advised (as the cited webpage explains) those first
come, first served sites fill fast. The one and only time I tried to get
one was around 9:00 in the morning; I gave up after one hour of chasing site
after site only to find someone had beaten me.

That having been said, there are campgrounds in the nearby - adjacent -
national forests that are much more available. Yes, they are further away
from the valley...but they are much more available. Check out the national
forest website for locations.

Whatever you do, do *not* camp anywhere in Yosemite outside an authorized
campground. Don't even sleep in a sleeping bag outside (or even inside)
your car parked away from an authorized campground. And don't sleep in your
car in a parking lot. Do any of that and you risk in the wee hours of the
morning being visited by the park rangers telling you to either move on or
find a space (even at an occupied site) at an authorized campground.

One further note - gas is on the expensive side in the mountains. I
recommend you fill up your gas tank while in the flat lands. And should you
need to get some of that expensive gas, there is no need to fill that
tank...just get enough to get you back to the flat lands.

Old March 26th, 2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message
.. .

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"Wipower" wrote:
[...]

Depends where in Yosemite Park you want to camp. The park is huge, but most
people only think of Yosemite Valley as "The Park". You will have Upper and
Lower Pines campground for tenting in the Valley and there are campgrounds
at Tuolumne meadows above the valley on the road to Tioga Pass. Been years
since I went to Sequoia so no advice there. There are tent cabins for rent
also at Curry Village in the valley. Ypu should look into reservations for
the campground.

Old March 26th, 2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
link.net...

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message
.. .

"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"Wipower" wrote:
[...]

chuckle You can car camp wherever you want in Yosemite National Park. No
problem if you stay at one of the 13 authorized campgrounds. You have a
good chance of running into some interesting situations if you camp in an
unauthorized site; i.e., anywhere in the park other than those 13 authorized
campgrounds But you don't have to take my word for this - try it and see
for yourself.

Tent cabin wise, these are available also at Tuoloumne Meadows and White
Wolf.

oh yes...and whether you stay at the tent cabins or at a campground, use
those food lockers! Take along a simple lock to keep those two footed
critters away from your food and other goodies stored in those lockers....

Old March 26th, 2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article .net,
Calif Bill bmckee=at-ix.netcom.com wrote:
"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message
. ..
"Rog'" wrote in message
.. .
"Wipower" wrote:
in yosemite and sequoia national parks with a tent.
I should arrive there from 2th august.

You'd better start making reservations for camping
spots, if you plan to stay inside the parks --
Check out...
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

at Tuolumne meadows above the valley on the road to Tioga Pass. Been years
since I went to Sequoia so no advice there.

It's called Lodgepole.

Old March 29th, 2007, 09:10 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

could you please suggest me a nice camping to stay in yosemite and sequoia
national parks with a tent.

If you'd like to camp inside Yosemite, you'll need reservations.
Sequoia could go either way; it's a lot less traveled. But I'd
recommend camping in Lee Vining Canyon, just outside the Tioga Pass
entrance to Yosemite. It's gorgeous, and there are a lot of
campgrounds; I've never had trouble finding a spot in one.

A lot of these photos are from Lee Vining campgrounds, or the road to
them:

http://forrestcroce.com/Galleries/SierraNevada.html