ST THOMAS: Tips on local transportation..(& taxis)

Old December 27th, 2003, 06:11 PM
SAALHOU

Default ST THOMAS: Tips on local transportation..(& taxis)

Can you tell me where in Charlotte Amalie you got the bus to take you
to Red Hook. Do they run frequently?

*****************************
If you arrive at the Havensight pier,,,it is a 5 minute walk to catch the
bus.
It is it is on the street that runs up from Wendys Hamburger, across from
the
grocery store, but before Blockbuster Video....When I was there 2 weeks ago,
the bus sign was knocked down, so the stop was at the tree. :-)
The prices is US$1.00 ANYWHERE around the island per person...The bus is
EXCATLY the same as the large taxis..They do run often.. They drive through
the
KMART parking lot and stop in front. I havent figured out how the locals
decide
who gets to screw the tourists that day,and be a "taxi" instead of the local
bus.
There is only one bus route and it goes in only one direction, around the
island, right back to town.
Some local drivers ARE NOT real friendly about helping you. The bus/taxis are
open air and seat 20+ people, you pay the driver $1 per person after you get
off. The locals that RIDE the bus are very friendly and will help you with
directions and when to ring the buzzer for your stop.IMO, Its a fun way to
get
a quick tour of the island.

The stop for RED HOOK is right in front of the ferry. We were off the ship
before 9am,,on a bus by 9:10 and on a 9:40 Ferry to St John.
I was told that the Ferry ran ON THE HOUR, so was surprised to find one
leaving
when we got to Red Hook.
It was $3 per person, We were in Cruz Bay before 10am, we caught a 2:15
ferry
straight back to Charlotte Amalie for $7 pp, and were right downtown at 3:00.
The price of tours for the SAME THING are 5x-10x what you can do it for on
your
own, but I realize that ON YOUR OWN isn't for everyone. On the $1 bus,you can
get to Coki Beach and Sapphire Beach as well as others, although I don't
think
that you can get to Magens Bay by bus.
When you get off the ship, drivers will LIE to you, and tell you that you
cannot do what I am telling you. They also say that TAXI prices are fixed,
which I have found not to be true, although there is a price list, I have
found
it to be negotiable.
Buses are also available in ST MAARTIN from Dutch side to Marigot (French
side)
for a couple bucks...They leave from Back Street, one block behind the beach.
have also travelled local transportation in Barbados, St Vincent, the
Grenadines, Martinique, Cabo San Lucas, etc,, never had anything but a
friendly, cultural experience.
The Cruise lines might tell you that this is dangerous, but in my opinion
its
no more dangerous than taking acruise in the first place!

***** Anybody have other tips for local transportation elsewhere ??