death valley-sequoia

Old January 4th, 2006, 02:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default death valley-sequoia

Can someone tell me the best route to sequoia national park from death
valley? I would prefer not doing the 8 hour rte if possible.
Thanks for any replies

Old January 4th, 2006, 07:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Don" wrote in message
Can someone tell me the best route to sequoia national park from death
valley? I would prefer not doing the 8 hour rte if possible.
Thanks for any replies

This time of the year you will have to go south to Highway 58 to Bakersfield
and 99 north. Probably close to 8 hours.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Old January 4th, 2006, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Don wrote:
Can someone tell me the best route to sequoia national park from death
valley? I would prefer not doing the 8 hour rte if possible.
Thanks for any replies

What time of year?

Old January 4th, 2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Don wrote:
"PeterL" wrote in message
ups.com...

Don wrote:
Can someone tell me the best route to sequoia national park from death
valley? I would prefer not doing the 8 hour rte if possible.
Thanks for any replies

What time of year?

this month

In that case you'd have to go the round about way, thru Bakersfield.

Old January 6th, 2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

PeterL wrote:
Don wrote:
"PeterL" wrote in message
ups.com...

Don wrote:
Can someone tell me the best route to sequoia national park from death
valley? I would prefer not doing the 8 hour rte if possible.
Thanks for any replies

What time of year?

this month

In that case you'd have to go the round about way, thru Bakersfield.

Why do you call this "the round about way"? I think it's slightly
faster than Hwy 178, even in summer.

Old January 6th, 2006, 05:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

RVer Don wrote:
"Don" wrote in message
Can someone tell me the best route to sequoia national park from death
valley? I would prefer not doing the 8 hour rte if possible.
Thanks for any replies

This time of the year you will have to go south to Highway 58 to Bakersfield
and 99 north. Probably close to 8 hours.

This is the fastest way any time of year. It avoids the 8000 foot
passes and narrow winding route of Hwy 179, and it's certainly no
longer timewise. Seven or eight hours is about the fastest you're
going to make it from Death Valley to Sequoia unless you can fly.

Old January 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Don" wrote in message
Can someone tell me the best route to sequoia national park from death
valley? I would prefer not doing the 8 hour rte if possible.
Thanks for any replies

The 8 hour trip is the SHORT route via the Kern River
and Trona

If you are travelling in summer the alternative is to
go over the Tioga pass and drive down the Owens
valley ebtering DV via Panaminst Springs. Its a lovely
drive but its going to take at least 12 hours without stops
for sightseeing

Keith