Antigua or Nevis?

Old October 21st, 2003, 10:09 PM
Darla Benoit

Default Antigua or Nevis?

I am planning a trip to the caribbean for the late winter, early
spring time and wanted to get some ideas about where to stay, what are
the options for rentals possibly. Not too worried about price but
want a nice relaxing stay. Away from the tourist traps would be
perfect. I am planning on Antigua but am considering Nevis. Any
thoughts? My husband and I are active ornothologists and would love
to see what native birds there are to watch and photograph for our
collection. Are there any active clubs on these islands?
Old October 22nd, 2003, 03:50 PM
Rita Daggett

"Darla Benoit" wrote in message
om...
I am planning a trip to the caribbean for the late winter, early
spring time and wanted to get some ideas about where to stay, what are
the options for rentals possibly. Not too worried about price but
want a nice relaxing stay. Away from the tourist traps would be
perfect. I am planning on Antigua but am considering Nevis. Any
thoughts? My husband and I are active ornothologists and would love
to see what native birds there are to watch and photograph for our
collection. Are there any active clubs on these islands?

How about Dominica? I'd have thought it would be better than Antigua for
birds, and you can get flights to Dominica from Antigua.

--
Rita Daggett

Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:50 PM
Darla Benoit

Well arent you the little helper. I appreciate the links and all.
It seems Nevis may be more what I am looking for. Quiet, Natural,
loads of while life and plenty of birds to watch.

Don Wiss wrote in message . ..
On 21 Oct 2003, (Darla Benoit) wrote:

I am planning a trip to the caribbean for the late winter, early
spring time and wanted to get some ideas about where to stay, what are
the options for rentals possibly. Not too worried about price but
want a nice relaxing stay. Away from the tourist traps would be
perfect. I am planning on Antigua but am considering Nevis. Any
thoughts?

The islands are very different. Nevis has few people, which makes for a
friendlier population. Antigua has more touristy things to do, like visit
forts. Nevis is lusher and has a rain forest, due to a higher mountain.
Antigua is dry.

My husband and I are active ornothologists and would love
to see what native birds there are to watch and photograph for our
collection. Are there any active clubs on these islands?

http://www.nevisnaturetours.com/Bird_Watching.htm

My visit to Antigua was just before I started writing trip reports. Nevis
was my first one. Find it he http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/nevis.txt

But I have put up pictures from both islands:
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/pictures/ANU-2000/
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/pictures/NEV-2000/

While you undoubtdly have found many web sites, here's one of the best for
Nevis: http://www.nevis1.com/

Don donwiss at panix.com.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 06:53 PM
Darla Benoit

Hmmm. I hadn't considered Dominica. Gosh, there are so many choices.
Have any great websites for this island?

Old October 22nd, 2003, 11:02 PM
Don Wiss

On 22 Oct 2003, (Darla Benoit) wrote:

Hmmm. I hadn't considered Dominica. Gosh, there are so many choices.
Have any great websites for this island?

How about this search?
http://www.google.com/search?q=Domin...rd+watching%22

Dominica is again different from the others. Its mountains are higher than
Nevis's and so much more rain forest. More waterfalls and in general more
nature. Also whale watching.

Dominica is larger, both in size and population. But it is poor. Nevis is
relatively wealthy. Nevis has several nice plantation houses to stay at.
And even the Four Seasons for those that want an expensive resort. In
contrast Dominica's accommodations are rather spartan and inexpensive.

As one that likes to bicycle when I go on holiday Nevis is very bike
friendly. You can bike the 20 miles around the island in a day. On Dominica
the hills are too steep, the island too large, and bikes are almost
unavailable to rent.

I have a trip journal for Dominica, but I haven't finished keying it in
yet. (I can e-mail the Dominica portion if interested.) Of the pictures I
took there I have so far only put up the ones from Carnival (the two days
before Ash Wednesday). Their Carnival is not grand, and due to the poorness
of the island the costumes are homemade. But it is a charming little
festival.

http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/pictures/Carnival-2003/

How about Tobago? I haven't yet made it there. Isn't it also known for
birds?

Yes, there are a lot of islands. So you become adventurers and go to
different ones(s) each year. I tend to move around and visit several that
are near each other. I don't spend my time hanging out on the beach. My
trips tend to be very active.

Don donwiss at panix.com.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 01:57 PM
Eddda & Umberto

HelloDon

We are living and renting Cottages and Apt's here in Antigua for 20
years are ready.We have exactly the right Place for you,away from the
big Tourist traps. We are only min. away from the Beach,Airport and
St. Johns if in need of it.You can see our website at
www.fountainhillvillage.com or send us a email for more info. We also
have special rates for couples wanting to stay for 2 or 3 month
douring the Winter . Regards Edda& Umberto
On 22 Oct 2003 10:50:58 -0700, (Darla Benoit)
wrote:

Well arent you the little helper. I appreciate the links and all.
It seems Nevis may be more what I am looking for. Quiet, Natural,
loads of while life and plenty of birds to watch.

Old October 23rd, 2003, 02:35 PM
Rita Daggett

"Don Wiss" wrote in message
How about Tobago? I haven't yet made it there. Isn't it also known for
birds?

Indeed it is - tho they are more South American than Caribbean.
But my suggestion of Dominica was based on the original posters mention of
antigua/Nevis and knowing you can gt to Dominica easily from Antigua.
If you are going primarily for birds then Trinidad (Asa Wright Centre) and
Tobago (probably Blue Waters Inn) are the prime spots.
--
Rita Daggett