anyone been to Oman ?

Old December 25th, 2011, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Beer Tricks Potter

Default anyone been to Oman ?

any advice etc....
Old December 25th, 2011, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 132

michaelnewport aka virusman still on topic and posting just for the sake of
seeing his crap on the screen.

any advice etc....

Old December 26th, 2011, 07:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Dec 25, 7:09*pm, Beer Tricks Potter
wrote:
any advice etc....

I was there courtesy of HM around 1959, but the natives weren't that
friendly at the time.
Old December 26th, 2011, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Beer Tricks Potter

wrote:

any advice etc....

I was there courtesy of HM around 1959, but the natives weren't that
friendly at the time.

why...what did you do to them ?
Old December 26th, 2011, 09:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

wrote:

any advice etc....

I was there courtesy of HM around 1959, but the natives weren't that
friendly at the time.

why...what did you do to them ?

Brit Empire colonies in those days (Oman & Aden) & they were shooting
at us!
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 12:24:29 -0800, Surreyman wrote:

On Dec 26, 7:44Â*pm, Beer Tricks Potter wrote:
On Dec 26, 7:22Â*pm, Surreyman wrote:

On Dec 25, 7:09Â*pm, Beer Tricks Potter
wrote:

any advice etc....

I was there courtesy of HM around 1959, but the natives weren't that
friendly at the time.

why...what did you do to them ?

Brit Empire colonies in those days (Oman & Aden) & they were shooting at
us!

Aden was ours, it was one of the original coaling stations acquired
after teh navy went over to steam.

Oman wasn't really ours, we got involved in a dynastic struggle between
two men who both wanted to be the sultan, or whatever it was then.

the shooting just faded away after we pulled out because the locals doing
the shooting just wanted to shoot at the infidels...

I have no idea who came out on top in the end, it didn't actually matter.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

No.
Oman was 'ours' to all intents and purposes except in name - similar
to the position with Egypt, which was also not officially part of the
Brit Empire, but as good as.
We didn't 'pull out' of Oman. We successfully put down Saudi-inspired
infiltrations and remained, consolidating the nation's security.

Separately, In the late 50s there were probs in the adjoining Adeni
Sultanates, to the east of what is now Yemen, on the Oman border, and
which were attached to Aden Colony.

Old December 27th, 2011, 11:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Dec 27, 10:16*am, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 01:54:38 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

Surreyman wrote
in
:

wrote:

any advice etc....

I was there courtesy of HM around 1959, but the natives weren't that
friendly at the time.

why...what did you do to them ?

Brit Empire colonies in those days (Oman & Aden) & they were shooting
at us!

What was your assignment there?

Almost certainly National Service.
--

Martin

Nope, short service commission.
Old December 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Dec 27, 11:36*am, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 02:36:14 -0800 (PST), Surreyman

wrote:
On Dec 27, 10:16*am, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 01:54:38 +0100, Wolfgang Schwanke
wrote:

Surreyman wrote
in
:

wrote:

any advice etc....

I was there courtesy of HM around 1959, but the natives weren't that
friendly at the time.

why...what did you do to them ?

Brit Empire colonies in those days (Oman & Aden) & they were shooting
at us!

What was your assignment there?

Almost certainly National Service.

Nope, short service commission.

I had a friend who did his NS in Aden.
--

Martin

It weren't 'alf 'ot Mum!
I was voluntary, prior to a possible RAF career that I then didn't
take up.
I think, anyway, that NS had stopped by about 1959/60?