Cyprus Social

Old January 10th, 2012, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.people.silversurfers
john east[_2_]

Default Cyprus Social

Couple from the U.K. are thinking about retiring in Cyprus after hearing
good things about it.

Would anyone know the best way for them to find out about any social clubs
or collections of U.K. expats that they could meet up with and Socialize
with? Or any organisation that would have those contact details? Thanks.

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.people.silversurfers
Surreyman[_3_]

On Jan 10, 2:57*pm, "john east" wrote:
Couple from the U.K. are thinking about retiring in Cyprus after hearing
good things about it.

Would anyone know the best way for them to find out about any social clubs
or collections of U.K. expats that they could meet up with and Socialize
with? Or any organisation that would have those contact details? * Thanks.

"After hearing"?
PLEASE spend time there also (North or South?).
We considered it, but - having 'done' the sights - found it rather
boring in terms of social activities.
The ex-pats are there. But the island is just rather too small for
continual interest, without travelling to Turkey/Greece or wherever.
And the heat can become excessive.
But it might suit you!
You surely need to find out first, before committing?
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.people.silversurfers
Jack Campin

Couple from the U.K. are thinking about retiring in Cyprus after
hearing good things about it.

Would they rather live in the bit run by the Turkish mafia or the
bit run by the Greek and Serbian mafia?

Old January 11th, 2012, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.people.silversurfers
john east[_2_]

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
Couple from the U.K. are thinking about retiring in Cyprus after
hearing good things about it.

Would they rather live in the bit run by the Turkish mafia or the
bit run by the Greek and Serbian mafia?

But would that affect a quiet living retired couple, who carefully purchased
any property through an established British lawyer and just minded their own
business in an ordinary daily life routine?

Old January 11th, 2012, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.people.silversurfers
bill

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:04:29 +0000, john east wrote:

"Jack Campin" wrote in message
Couple from the U.K. are thinking about retiring in Cyprus after
hearing good things about it.

Would they rather live in the bit run by the Turkish mafia or the bit
run by the Greek and Serbian mafia?

But would that affect a quiet living retired couple, who carefully
purchased any property through an established British lawyer and just
minded their own business in an ordinary daily life routine?

Yes, especially if they worked out the legal problems with Turkish
Cyprus.

I know people who have bought homes in Turkish Cyprus who dread the day
that's going to happen because they'll almost certainly have to buy their
retirement home again.

--
William Black

Free men have open minds
If you want loyalty, buy a dog...
Old January 11th, 2012, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.people.silversurfers
griffin[_3_]

On 10/01/2012 14:57, john east wrote:
Couple from the U.K. are thinking about retiring in Cyprus after hearing
good things about it.

Would anyone know the best way for them to find out about any social clubs
or collections of U.K. expats that they could meet up with and Socialize
with? Or any organisation that would have those contact details? Thanks.

I would love to go there, but the argument between Turkey and Greece
which led to the partition has left many, many problems. people have
purchased in the North only to find that what they have bought has
reverted back to the Greeks from whom it was taken. I think it would
need a LOT of very close inspection before I plunged.
Old January 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Jan 11, 10:56*pm, "Runge 132" wrote:
Duh martin has polluted another thread...

"Martin" *a crit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:35:55 +0000, Jack Campin

wrote:
Couple from the U.K. are thinking about retiring in Cyprus after
hearing good things about it.

Would they rather live in the bit run by the Turkish mafia or the
bit run by the Greek and Serbian mafia?

and would they buy a house that legally belonged to somebody else in
the other bit of Cyprus?
--

Martin

It is perfectly possible to buy property in North Cyprus that wasn't
filched from departed Greeks, and vice-versa in the south.
But North Cyprus, of course, could still be regarded as a dubious
entity, could return to the fold within a re-united Cyprus, and then
the fun could begin.
Thus I would never buy in North Cyprus (although it is a delightful
area, especially around Kyrenia).
One could buy safely in the south.
But a main point is that Cyprus ex-pat social life is not overly
interesting anyway, compared with other ex-pat 'colonies' - and would
there be any intention of integrating?
And my major point is that to consider a retirement move anywhere just
on hearsay could be disastrous.
Old January 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 132

and the area couldn't face the reality of martin !

"Martin" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

wrote:
[...]

Judging a place from a summer holiday spent there can also be
disastrous. Go there in winter outside the tourist season before
considering buying a house there. We found that in an area in northern
Brittany where we spent many summer holidays that many houses changed
hands every year because those who retired there couldn't face the
reality of the area outside the tourist season.
--

Martin

Old January 12th, 2012, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Surreyman wrote:

It is perfectly possible to buy property in North Cyprus that wasn't
filched from departed Greeks, and vice-versa in the south.
But North Cyprus, of course, could still be regarded as a dubious
entity, could return to the fold within a re-united Cyprus, and then
the fun could begin.
Thus I would never buy in North Cyprus (although it is a delightful
area, especially around Kyrenia).
One could buy safely in the south.
But a main point is that Cyprus ex-pat social life is not overly
interesting anyway, compared with other ex-pat 'colonies' - and would
there be any intention of integrating?
And my major point is that to consider a retirement move anywhere just
on hearsay could be disastrous.

Even relocating from one state to another in the U.S. can prove less
than ideal! I had valid reasons, especially financial, for moving from
California to Arizona, and I still believe the move was necessary.
(That doesn't mean I'm any less disenchanted with Arizona, however!)