Rail travel in europe

Old February 23rd, 2012, 01:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Nicole Owens

Default Rail travel in europe

How much is it to travel around europe with the euro rail pass?
Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 04:24:57 -0800 (PST), Nicole Owens wrote:

How much is it to travel around europe with the euro rail pass?

Used to depend on the number of days, try a Google search.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Nicole Owens wrote:
How much is it to travel around europe with the euro rail pass?

The Eurorail pass is the most expensive one! Of course, I don't try to see
how many coutries I can count coup on in a single trip, but if you want to
take a closer look at a single country, there are single- country passes
that are a small fraction of of the price of Eurail passes. There are also
cheaper passes for two or three countries on a single pass, or at least
were, last time I looked.

If you're determined to use the expensive option, it's still going to be
only a fraction of the cost of tge trip. You'll need to eat and sleep as
well.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Erilar wrote:

Nicole Owens wrote:
How much is it to travel around europe with the euro rail pass?

The Eurorail pass is the most expensive one!

Does it allow you to go between London and Manchester on any train? That
would pay for itself in a journey or two...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

On 23/02/2012 11:44 AM, Irwell wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 04:24:57 -0800 (PST), Nicole Owens wrote:

How much is it to travel around europe with the euro rail pass?

Used to depend on the number of days, try a Google search.

I did it close to 20 years ago. It wasn't cheap but it was my wife who
booked the trip over there and the pass, so I was just going along for
the ride. And what a great ride it turned out to me. At the time (1993)
the Eurorail pass for three of us travelling as buddies (?)... we had to
be travelling together, for 15 days unlimited travel was $1500 Cdn, a
little over $1000 US at the time.

There are several options for varying numbers of days of travel over
different periods of time. Anyone thinking about getting a pass needs
to consider several factors, like how many days you will be travelling,
how long a period you need it for and consider the costs of the
different passes.

Our pass worked out fine for us. I was torn when we contacted some
relatives in Switzerland and got hijacked for three days. I sure can't
complain about the wonderful hospitality but they insisted on us staying
there for three days, so that was three days of travel we missed out on
and by the time we got to Venice and had to start heading back to Paris
we ended up giving up time in Italy in order to get back to Paris before
our pass expired. We might have been better off with a set number of
days over a longer period.

It was a great way to see Europe. We were able to stay at a friend's
place in Germany for a week and to make day trips and over-nighters from
there. We started of in Paris, spent some time in Strasbourg, Baden
Baden, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Gimmelwald, Lausanne, Venice and Nice
over 15 days. The only real snag we had was finding ourselves on a
railway to Lauterbrunnen that was a private rail and not covered by the
pass.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 132

Why ask here ?
Go to the site.

Old February 24th, 2012, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

How much is it to travel around europe with the euro rail pass?

The Eurorail pass is the most expensive one!

Because there have been passes with similar names, it is important
to get the exact name right in order to be talking about the same
thing. The correct general name for the family of passes is
"Eurail" passes and http://www.eurail.com is their web site.

"Eurailpass" (one word) is a former name for what is now called a
"Eurail Global" pass. "Europass" is a former name for what is now
called a "Eurail Select" pass. "Eurorail pass" has never existed.

Of course, I don't try to see how many coutries I can count coup on
in a single trip, but if you want to take a closer look at a single
country, there are single-country passes that are a small fraction
of the price of Eurail passes. There are also cheaper passes for
two or three countries on a single pass...

Eurail offers "Eurail One Coutry" passes for one country (but see
below), "Eurail Regional" passes for two adjacent coutries, and
"Eurail Select" passes for 3, 4, or 5 adjacent countries. For these
purposes Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg count as one country
that is adjacent to Ireland.

None of the passes cover the UK (that's England, Scotland, Wales,
and Northern Ireland), and in Switzerland only some railways
are included.

One important point is that if you are over 26 years old, then Eurail
passes are only available for first-class travel. Railways in
different countries may offer their own passes as well, covering
their own country and in some cases adjacent countries. If you will
be traveling in the UK or if you only want a pass for second-class
travel, then you should look into these.

Some of the passes are only available for things like "10 travel
says within 2 months" while others, including the Eurail Global
Pass, are also available in continuous form, like "every day within
21 days". At one time the first type was called a "flexi" pass,
but Eurail doesn't use this term any more. I think it was misleading,
because it's really the continuous pass that offers you the most
flexibility: the other type is useful if most of your long-distance
travel will be confined to a few days of the trip. (For example,
if you want to spend a few days in each of a sequence of cities.)

If you're determined to use the expensive option, it's still going to be
only a fraction of the cost of tge trip. You'll need to eat and sleep as
well.

That's true.

On some of my trips to Europe I've judged that it probably wasn't
worthwhile getting any sort of rail pass. However, on my most
recent trip I was wrong. We traveled from Paris to Brussels, then
to some other points in Belgium, then to Koblenz and Heidelberg,
then around Switzerland for a while and finally back to Paris.
We traveled mostly secnd class and paid $1,270 (Canadian dollars) per
person for the tickets. Of this about $240 was on Swiss railways
that Eurail doesn't cover, but the other $1,030 would have been
covered by a 21-day Eurail Global Pass that currently costs $838
(Canadian). (A 4-country pass would have been even cheaper but
might not have offered enough travel days.)

On the other hand, (1) if we'd had a Eurail pass, we would have
missed our first train of the trip, because we didn't get to the train
station (at CDG Airport) until it was already boarding, and a Eurail
pass has to be validated at the ticket office before the first use.
By buying an actual ticket in advance (through our travel agent),
we were able to step right on. And (2) we were partly making up the
route as we went along, and didn't know until well into the trip that
we would return to Paris within 21 days. The next longer pass would
have cost significantly more. The more you know about where you're
going to go, the better you figure out which pass you want, if you
want one.
--
Mark Brader "You mean he made love to you?"
Toronto "Well, he went through all the emotions."

Old February 24th, 2012, 12:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

David Horne:
Does it allow you to go between London and Manchester on any train? That
would pay for itself in a journey or two...

"Martin":
or Bristol to London, which I am told can be more expensive than Nice
to Bristol

Eurail passes do not cover Great Britain at all. Britrail passes do,
and can indeed be used on any train there.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Canada... likes to sit up there looking harmless,
Old February 24th, 2012, 12:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Mark Brader wrote:

David Horne:
Does it allow you to go between London and Manchester on any train? That
would pay for itself in a journey or two...

"Martin":
or Bristol to London, which I am told can be more expensive than Nice
to Bristol

Eurail passes do not cover Great Britain at all. Britrail passes do,
and can indeed be used on any train there.

Spoilsport!