NY-Niagara falls

Old September 6th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Xavier

Default NY-Niagara falls

Hi !

I would like to know how long does it take to go to Niagara falls from NY.
How many days are necessary for a fast visit?
Is it recommended to go there on december or it will be too cold and frozen?
Where could I find some info?
Is it better to take an organized tour that departs from NY or just take a
train and look for a hotel over the Internet?

Beside these questions, any info will be welcomed!!

Thanks!!!
Xavier

Old September 6th, 2005, 07:40 PM
PeterL

Xavier wrote:
Hi !

I would like to know how long does it take to go to Niagara falls from NY.

From NYC, you can fly there in about an hour.

How many days are necessary for a fast visit?

Fast? probably an hour.

Is it recommended to go there on december or it will be too cold and frozen?

It'll be cold and but not frozen.

Where could I find some info?

Google.

Is it better to take an organized tour that departs from NY or just take a
train and look for a hotel over the Internet?

Define "better".

Old September 6th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Dave Smith

Xavier wrote:

Hi !

I would like to know how long does it take to go to Niagara falls from NY.
How many days are necessary for a fast visit?
Is it recommended to go there on december or it will be too cold and frozen?
Where could I find some info?
Is it better to take an organized tour that departs from NY or just take a
train and look for a hotel over the Internet?

Beside these questions, any info will be welcomed!!

It is a good day's drive from NY to Niagara Falls, easily 6-7 hours.

It is likely to be cold in December, but the falls will not be frozen over.
There is usually an ice bridge in the river below by late January. Personally, I
think the falls is more beautiful with the winter, and it is a lot less crowded.

Old September 6th, 2005, 08:06 PM
PTravel

"Xavier" wrote in message
Hi !

I would like to know how long does it take to go to Niagara falls from NY.

1 hours or so by plane -- fly to Buffalo, rent a car and drive to the Falls.

How many days are necessary for a fast visit?

Depends on what you want to do. Overnight should be fine.

Is it recommended to go there on december or it will be too cold and

frozen?

We've been there in late November. It was cold, but still fun. Maid of the
Mist was closed. "Too cold" is entirely subjective.

Where could I find some info?
Is it better to take an organized tour that departs from NY or just take a
train and look for a hotel over the Internet?

Organized tours -- ugh!!! My wife and I travel all over the world and avoid
organized tours like plague.

Train will take too long. Jet Blue has very pleasant, frequent and
inexpensive flights from JFK.

Old September 6th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Mark Brader

I would like to know how long does it take to go to Niagara falls from NY.

1 hours or so by plane -- fly to Buffalo, rent a car and drive to the Falls.

That is, the flight itself is an hour or so. But any sort of flight
these days tends to involve spending at least 2 hours at airports, more
than that when you also have to deal with car rental; and then you also
have to drive from Buffalo to the Falls. I think you're looking at
4 to 5 hours total time, one way.

If you don't fly, your choices are car, bus, and train, and they all
take something on the order of 8 hours one way. I would recommend
driving if you're undecided -- then you can take different routes each
way, although of course it will add time if your routes are indirect.
Say, go one way via Albany and I-90 (the Thruway); I suggest the Taconic
State Parkway rather than I-87 (the Thruway) for the north-south part.
For the other way, go via Binghamton and NY 17 (the Southern Tier
Expressway, future I-86). Both choices involve a fair amount of
scenic countryside, particularly in the eastern half of the state.

How many days are necessary for a fast visit?

Depends on what you want to do. Overnight should be fine.

Well, of course you do want to see the falls by daylight. Note that
the best overall view is from the Canadian side, and on a sunny day
the best sun angle for this view is in the afternoon -- but I wouldn't
think of staying an extra day just to be able to get that.

Is it recommended to go there on december or it will be too cold and

frozen?

We've been there in late November. It was cold, but still fun. Maid
of the Mist was closed. "Too cold" is entirely subjective.

Agreed.

One downside of going in winter is that the water flow over the falls
is 1/4 of normal at all times. In summer tourist season they're turned
up to 1/2 of normal flow through the daytime hours.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You keep using that word. I do not think it means

Old September 7th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"Xavier" wrote:

Hi !

I would like to know how long does it take to go to Niagara falls from NY.
How many days are necessary for a fast visit?

Where in New York? The answer is anywhere from around 10 minutes to 8
hours depending on where in New York you are coming from and the traffic.
If you are coming from New York City and driving, count on about 8 hours.

Is it recommended to go there on december or it will be too cold and frozen?

Its not something I would do, but its a matter of personal preference.
If you don't mind the cold, I am sure December is a good time to visit
the falls.

Where could I find some info?

Google, of course. Go to http://www.google.com and search for "Niagara
Falls."

Is it better to take an organized tour that departs from NY or just take a
train and look for a hotel over the Internet?

Again, entirely a matter of personal preference. I prefer to strike out
on my own and create my own itinerary when I travel, be it to Niagara
Falls or anywhere else. I know some people who prefer more structure in
their lives and insist on guided tours when they travel. If you're the
independent type of traveler, then an organized tour would probably bore
you. Only you will know what works best for you.
Old September 7th, 2005, 11:01 PM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

PTravel wrote:
We've been there in late November. It was cold, but still fun.

I am serious, not kidding. What was "fun"? [ I have asked this before]

I am always amazed at the lengths visitors go to to get to see the
falls. I just don't get it. (I am a Toronto native and have been to the
falls scores of times and brought visitors there, too.) But I just
don't understand the fascination. I guess Parisians say the same thing
about the Eiffel Tour. But at least you are in Paris! LOL!

--

Seinfeld Lists
http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym

LOST - ScreenSnaps & Sawyer's Nicknames
http://tinyurl.com/a2r2r
Old September 8th, 2005, 12:35 AM

TheNewsGuy(Mike) wrote:
PTravel wrote:
We've been there in late November. It was cold, but still fun.

I am serious, not kidding. What was "fun"? [ I have asked this before]

I am always amazed at the lengths visitors go to to get to see the
falls. I just don't get it. (I am a Toronto native and have been to the
falls scores of times and brought visitors there, too.) But I just
don't understand the fascination. I guess Parisians say the same thing
about the Eiffel Tour. But at least you are in Paris! LOL!

[quote]We found the Falls spectacular -- the scale is enormous, and the
power represented by the Falls thrilling. We went into "Cave of the
Winds" that put us directly behind the Falls, and let us stand directly
adjacent to them.

We've never been this close to a waterfall remotely as powerful.

Note, too, that only spent two nights at the Falls. We ate out in nice
restaurants each night. We visited the Falls during the day. We
viewed the Falls at night. We visited a butterfly sanctuary. Two
nights and a day were more than sufficient for us, but we're very glad
we went.

We're going to the Grand Canyon this coming November. We don't think
of it as just a big hole in the ground.

My wife and I are love to travel, particularly internationally. The
world has a wealth of strange, interesting and exotic things to see,
both natural and man-made. There is nothing we like better than to see
them, and all of our discretionary income is devoted to that process.

I'm not sure if your point is that you live in the area and are inured
to the Falls, or that you don't understand the attraction of impressive
natural phenomena. If the former, I'm a former New Yorker. When I
lived there, I never went up the Empire State Building, never went to
the Statute of Liberty, or any of the other "tourist" types of things.
I was always, however, impressed with the City, and always thought it
grand, stark and magnificent. I'm suprised you wouldn't think the same
of the Falls. If, on the other hand, your point was, "it's just a
bunch of water," then I don't know how to respond to you at all. Some
folks like art museums (we do), some don't. Some folks like going to
sporting events (we don't). Some folks like theater (we do).
Different strokes, I suppose.

Do you like travel? What do you like to do when you travel?

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Alan S

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:01:55 -0400, "TheNewsGuy(Mike)"
wrote:

I am serious, not kidding. What was "fun"? [ I have asked this before]

I am always amazed at the lengths visitors go to to get to see the
falls. I just don't get it. (I am a Toronto native and have been to the
falls scores of times and brought visitors there, too.) But I just
don't understand the fascination. I guess Parisians say the same thing
about the Eiffel Tour. But at least you are in Paris! LOL!

Familiarity breeds contempt.

I live in the best area of the best continent in the world.
Of course, I'm not biased at all:-)

But I still get surprised at times when visitors enthuse
over it - because we get blase about it.

You could get super jaded - I mean, if you visit the Grand
Canyon and then flew across the world to Uluru, does that
enormous monolith cancel out the enormous hole in the
ground? If not, do you fly on to Egypt and Giza, to see if
now it does if you add the Pyramids? So you wasted your
money and time on the flights? Not in my view.

I'm going to Niagara Falls next year (and the Pyramids:-). I
presume that I'll probably be satisfied with a day or two of
viewing and experiencing - and then I'll move on. But I
still wouldn't miss either of them.

Cheers, Alan, Australia