Options for Banff in May

Old March 10th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Martin Timmerman

Default Options for Banff in May

I'll be travelling to Banff, Alberta May 10-16 and am looking for just a
few ideas during non-meeting times.

Has anyone hiked the shorter trails (less than 2 hours) at this time of
year? Which trails are likely to be free of snow?

On the snow side, Sunshine Village advertises a ski season until late
May. Has anyone gone skiing in May? What are the conditions really like?

Short hikes, scenic drives, good food, quiet places, unique shops (but
not shopping in general) are things I would enjoy. Any ideas along those
lines would be helpful.

Thanks!

Old March 11th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Aramis

I don't know the trail names, but those low in elevation should be clear of
snow. It all depends on the weather in the preceding weeks - check when you
arrive with the park staff.

Skiing in May - absolutely. It can be a great experience - good chance of
corn snow. The temperature could be into the 20's. Heck they ski all year
round in Austria.

See Moraine Lake, Takakkaw Falls, and drive the Icefields Parkway (take the
glacier tour)

Old March 11th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Rodney Boles

Martin Timmerman wrote in message ...
I'll be travelling to Banff, Alberta May 10-16 and am looking for just a
few ideas during non-meeting times.

Has anyone hiked the shorter trails (less than 2 hours) at this time of
year? Which trails are likely to be free of snow?

On the snow side, Sunshine Village advertises a ski season until late
May. Has anyone gone skiing in May? What are the conditions really like?

Short hikes, scenic drives, good food, quiet places, unique shops (but
not shopping in general) are things I would enjoy. Any ideas along those
lines would be helpful.

The earliest I've been to Banff was late June. Sunshine Meadows still
had
some snow on the ground then. I'd imagine your chances of having
good snow then is pretty good.

Even in late June, a lot of areas weren't open yet. Parks Canada
website has
details about what trails are open and what road conditions are like.

As for scenic drives, try taking 1A which runs parallel to the
Trans-Canada Highway.
Johnston Canyon is worth a stop to see all of the falls. It is an
easy, paved trail.
I'd definitely drive up to Lake Louis and spend a little while
checking out the lake
and Chateau. The trail to the Lake Agnes teahouse is heavily used and
I would
guess would be open.

As for food, you are in for a treat. I loved having a pasty and coffee
in the mornings
at Elaines. If the crowds are too much at the "main" one, there is an
Elaines, Too, (or something
like that) around the corner. Had a great steak at Saltlik. Up at Lake
Louise, we really liked
the coffee/pastry/sandwich shop just off the highway. I think the name
was Laggan, named after
the old train station.

I've got some photos from our trip up on my pbase gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/rboles
Old March 14th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Ajax773

You can pick up many ideas about Banff and the surrouynding area from our
large Visual Portal about the American and Canadian West
www.travelwestvisual.com
The idea was to let you preview all you need to know to be in the Rockies,
Prairies and the whole West by just following the schematic maps and names.

The Westerner

P.S. Friendly warning. The Portal contains close to 10 thousands slides and
the number grows up every day.

Old March 31st, 2004, 10:57 PM
Louise

"Martin Timmerman" wrote in message
I'll be travelling to Banff, Alberta May 10-16 and am looking for just a
few ideas during non-meeting times.

Has anyone hiked the shorter trails (less than 2 hours) at this time of
year? Which trails are likely to be free of snow?

On the snow side, Sunshine Village advertises a ski season until late
May. Has anyone gone skiing in May? What are the conditions really like?

Short hikes, scenic drives, good food, quiet places, unique shops (but
not shopping in general) are things I would enjoy. Any ideas along those
lines would be helpful.

Thanks!

If you are looking for quiet places, and unique shops try Canmore,
they have some nice gist shops with local crafts and are generally
good quality interesting items, less mass market tourist trade than
Banff.
There are plenty of nice restaurants too, and the Bagel Co. serves
great coffee.
Skiing will be excellent in May, the hills are quiet, the temperature
pleasant and snow still very good. There is snow until June/July they
only close the end of May because hardly anyone goes there so late,
not because the snow is gone.
There is a short hiking trail to Grassi Lakes just up towrds the
Nordic Centre in Canmore, the crystal clear lakes are definitely worth
a look, and the trail will be in good condition by then.