Hampton Inn Poplar Ave Memphis TN should not be visited during apower outage - poor customer service after the sale

Old August 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

Default Hampton Inn Poplar Ave Memphis TN should not be visited during a power outage - poor customer service after the sale

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:19:28 +0100 "Keith Willshaw"

wrote:

:"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
. ..
: On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 21:57:22 +1000 " A Mate"
: wrote:

: :Power outages are beyond any hotel's control - that's an electrical
: supplier
: :problem!

: You have never heard of a backup generator?

:Have you ever heard of a hotel that had backup power for more
:than the emergency lighting system ?

No idea.

:I havent, the cost of installing and maintaining such systems is rather
:high and unless you do regular testing there's a good chance they'll
:fail when you need them most. Then there's the safety issue involved
:with storing substantial quantities of diesel fuel in and round the
:building.

There is a difference between "beyond any hotel's control" and "not cost
effective".

Maybe but not in this case. Given the position in the market that
Hampton Inn occupies installing a useful full power replacement
backup system would be costly enough to make the difference between
profitability and loss. I dont know of ANY hotel outside the third world
and eco resorts that have enough backup power generating capacity to
meet the full load demands of the establishment.

Call a spade a spade.

Loss making hotels dont stay in business long.

Keith

Old August 19th, 2008, 02:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

There were the standard exit signs. I have been places where they
have the flood light that shines down the hallway. At least something
that won't have you bumping into anything or anyone that may be in the
hallway.

Don't tell me there is going to be hot water when there is no hot
water. We were in the pool when the power went out and were trying to
prepare for a wedding that evening.

Yes, I did have a cell phone with me. What if there were an actual
emergency? I am positive that not everyone in that hotel had a cell
phone with them, including some of our relatives.

I know they don't control the power grid, but I also know how it feels
to not be offered a flashlight when you see other people walking
around with flashlights in the halls.

Breakfast - If you are going to advertise that you have many choices,
make sure they are of quality.

At $135 per night, I figured I only had about 80% of the use of the
room. Therefore, I should only have to pay 80% of the bill. After a
few conversations, a credit should be appearing on my credit card
statement in a few days.

When I took my cat to the vet last week, they were running late and
took 10% off of our bill WITHOUT us asking for any kind of credit. If
a small business can go that extra mile without me expressing any
opinion, a large corporation like Hilton (owners of Hampton)
definitely attempt to do the same.

Call me a whiner, but all I am expecting is equal treatment. Perhaps
some of you should find Clark Howard. Some of you could use his
advice.

Old August 19th, 2008, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote in message
There were the standard exit signs. I have been places where they
have the flood light that shines down the hallway. At least something
that won't have you bumping into anything or anyone that may be in the
hallway.

Don't tell me there is going to be hot water when there is no hot
water. We were in the pool when the power went out and were trying to
prepare for a wedding that evening.

None of which stops a power outage happening

Yes, I did have a cell phone with me. What if there were an actual
emergency? I am positive that not everyone in that hotel had a cell
phone with them, including some of our relatives.

The first and most reliable means of communication is called 'talking'

I know they don't control the power grid, but I also know how it feels
to not be offered a flashlight when you see other people walking
around with flashlights in the halls.

Learn to carry a flashlight when you travel, they are pretty
cheap and may save your life some day

Breakfast - If you are going to advertise that you have many choices,
make sure they are of quality.

At $135 per night, I figured I only had about 80% of the use of the
room. Therefore, I should only have to pay 80% of the bill. After a
few conversations, a credit should be appearing on my credit card
statement in a few days.

Bogus claim in my book. Hotel rooms are primarily for sleeping in
a 2 hour power outage in the afternoon hardly prevents that happening

When I took my cat to the vet last week, they were running late and
took 10% off of our bill WITHOUT us asking for any kind of credit. If
a small business can go that extra mile without me expressing any
opinion, a large corporation like Hilton (owners of Hampton)
definitely attempt to do the same.

Call me a whiner,

You are a whiner

Old August 20th, 2008, 06:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gregory Morrow[_50_]

Default duh

Runge12 blabbles:

Tripadvisor is your friend.

What does tripadvisor have to do with anything...???

--
Best
Greg

Old August 20th, 2008, 02:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Most of the reviews on TripAdvisor.com were positive for this hotel.

To Keith Willshaw:

Should "carry a flashlight" now be put in the fine print when you book
a hotel room? If we packed a flashlight, sewing kit, first aid
kit,... and everything else we should carry with us, we would have no
room left in our suitcases for the clothes that should be in there. I
see quite a few posts where you are whining, complaining, questioning
everyone else. Just another few posts in that category in this
thread. There is a reason I do not use my name and you have just
proven it.

Old August 21st, 2008, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

A credit appeared on my account last night. It pays to bitch when you
have every reason to. Our uncle and some other relatives also
received compensation for that evening. If you don't speak up in life
your going to get walked all over.