Vacation in August , Chicago - Illinois - Great Lakes

Old March 31st, 2007, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Christoph Sattler

Default Vacation in August , Chicago - Illinois - Great Lakes

This year I'm going with my family August-September to Chicago. We visit
my halfsister and want to drive with her van and trailer for about 2
weeks around. We are from Germany and I do not find much information
about the area. Any ideas ??? My kids are 6 & 9 years old. We like to
hike, canoe, caving, but also things like amusementparks (water-).

But mostly we would o explore the nature.

Thanks a lot, Christoph
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Mar 31, 4:44 am, Christoph Sattler wrote:
This year I'm going with my family August-September to Chicago. We visit
my halfsister and want to drive with her van and trailer for about 2
weeks around. We are from Germany and I do not find much information
about the area. Any ideas ??? My kids are 6 & 9 years old. We like to
hike, canoe, caving, but also things like amusementparks (water-).

But mostly we would o explore the nature.

Thanks a lot, Christoph

i dont recall how far north it was, but the wisconsin dells area has a
load of water park type stuff, may be a touch cold in september
though......

six flags has a schicago park which I am 99% sure has a waterpark.....

A longish drive could have you at Cedar Point, whe mecca for
rollercoaster riders.......

Chuck

Old March 31st, 2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Horst Kolb

"Christoph Sattler" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
This year I'm going with my family August-September to Chicago. We visit
my halfsister and want to drive with her van and trailer for about 2 weeks
around. We are from Germany and I do not find much information about the
area. Any ideas ??? My kids are 6 & 9 years old. We like to hike, canoe,
caving, but also things like amusementparks (water-).

But mostly we would o explore the nature.

Thanks a lot, Christoph

Hi,

did you try
http://www.usa-reise.de/forum/index.html ?

best regards

Horst

Old March 31st, 2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Christoph Sattler

Horst Kolb schrieb:

"Christoph Sattler" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

This year I'm going with my family August-September to Chicago. We visit
my halfsister and want to drive with her van and trailer for about 2
weeks around. We are from Germany and I do not find much information
about the area. Any ideas ??? My kids are 6 & 9 years old. We like to
hike, canoe, caving, but also things like amusementparks (water-).

But mostly we would o explore the nature.

Thanks a lot, Christoph

Hi,

did you try
http://www.usa-reise.de/forum/index.html ?

best regards

Horst

Yep, a great site ! Useful information !
Old April 1st, 2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
George Max[_2_]

On 31 Mar 2007 08:49:07 -0700, "
wrote:

On Mar 31, 4:44 am, Christoph Sattler wrote:
This year I'm going with my family August-September to Chicago. We visit
my halfsister and want to drive with her van and trailer for about 2
weeks around. We are from Germany and I do not find much information
about the area. Any ideas ??? My kids are 6 & 9 years old. We like to
hike, canoe, caving, but also things like amusementparks (water-).

But mostly we would o explore the nature.

Thanks a lot, Christoph

i dont recall how far north it was, but the wisconsin dells area has a
load of water park type stuff, may be a touch cold in september
though......

By then it'll probably be too cold for the outdoor waterparks in the
Dells. The OP will have to check out places with indoor parks like
Kalahari or Great Wolf Lodge.

BTW, the Dells is around 3 hours north of Chicago along I-94.

Old April 1st, 2007, 03:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
George Max[_2_]

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:44:37 +0200, Christoph Sattler
wrote:

This year I'm going with my family August-September to Chicago. We visit
my halfsister and want to drive with her van and trailer for about 2
weeks around. We are from Germany and I do not find much information
about the area. Any ideas ??? My kids are 6 & 9 years old. We like to
hike, canoe, caving, but also things like amusementparks (water-).

But mostly we would o explore the nature.

Thanks a lot, Christoph

First, simply driving around the Chicago metropolitan area right
around now can be a frustrating time consuming thing to do. There's
some very serious freeway construction on the south side of the city.
The Dan Ryan (I-94) freeway is being totally replaced in both
directions. Take a look at the Illinios Department of Transportation
website for updates on road construction in the area.

There's lots of shopping in the Michigan Street area, Navy pier has
activities at times during the summer, Lincoln Park nearby also has
things going on. The museum campus along the lake has interesting
things. There's the Field Museum of Natural History. They've got the
two lions made famous in the movie "The Ghost and The Darkness."

There's also the Museum of Science and Industry, the Adler
Planetarium. both are nearby.

North of the city in the Town of Gurney is Six Flags amusment park.
But in September after Labor Day, I think they might be open on
weekends only.

You could go to the top of the John Hancock tower to the observation
deck. The view is spectacular.
Old April 1st, 2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Frank F. Matthews

Christoph Sattler wrote:
This year I'm going with my family August-September to Chicago. We visit
my halfsister and want to drive with her van and trailer for about 2
weeks around. We are from Germany and I do not find much information
about the area. Any ideas ??? My kids are 6 & 9 years old. We like to
hike, canoe, caving, but also things like amusementparks (water-).

But mostly we would o explore the nature.

Thanks a lot, Christoph

The timing is tricky. The very beginning of September contains a major
holiday on the first Monday. Traditionally it had been the beginning of
school sessions although they have drifted earlier in many districts.
You might inquire of your sister what she knows about the schools around
the area. Many families may be visiting nature or the locals may all be
tied up in school except for the holiday weekend. I would plan to get
somewhere on the Thursday before the weekend, settle in, and visit the
local area until the weekend rush is over.

Second the weather will range from very hot to moderately cool and is
unpredictable except for 3-5 days in advance. Try to think of options
for different weather as you look around.

Personally I would suggest a loop around Lake Michigan in either
direction. I'll look at counter clockwise but the reverse would be
fine. Get out of the metropolitan area as quickly as possible.
Michigan both the lower part and especially the upper peninsula should
be interesting. Then visit Wisconsin and, perhaps, Minn.

Not much caving on that route/ If you really like caves head in the
opposite direction to Western Kentucky. Some of the best caves in the
eastern US are there. Then head east as far as the Appalachians in West
Virginia. There are some interesting areas there especially the
Cranberry Glade area of alpine bogs.

Until you get south of the Ohio river you are pretty much in farming
country but then it is more interesting.

Two quite different choices with only the time for one but either should
do well for you.

Old April 1st, 2007, 04:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gary[_2_]

You might want to explore around the Chicago museums plus head down to
Missouri for a bit of nature. August may still be hot and humid in MO. but
September is usually very comfortable and there is a lot to see there.
Check out the Black River and Steelville area for canoeing. I think there
are still trips available in September but I'm not sure. Six Flags St.
Louis is an option for the kids along with Grant's Farm. (I know that
coming from Germany to visit a part of the Busch Brewery family is a bit
like carry coals to Newcastle but you might enjoy it. B-) For hiking, the
Katy Trail along the Missouri River or some of the National Forests in
Southern Illinois and Missouri are nice.

If you have your heart set on the Great Lakes area just head north up
through Appleton, Green Bay, Wisconsin around the UP ( Michigan's upper
peninsula) and back down via Travis Bay and southern Lake Michigan. The
Sault St. Marie canal and Mackinaw Island are nice side trips if you like
that sort of thing! (I do!)

HTH! Email me if I can help!
--
Gary
Visit Lucy & Gary and do the jigsaw puzzle at

oups.com...