Hampton Inn Poplar Ave Memphis TN should not be visited during apower outage - poor customer service after the sale

Old August 14th, 2008, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Hampton Inn Poplar Ave Memphis TN should not be visited during apower outage - poor customer service after the sale

We spent this past weekend there and the power went out on Saturday
afternoon as we were preparing to go to a wedding. No power for 2
hours, no flashlights, no compensation, nothing. Not even working
phones to contact their headquarters about the service. Hot water went
out shortly after.

Eggs at breakfast were shaped like a sausage patty and tasted like
they came out a box in the back of the warehouse. Dirty floors, leaves
all over the pool as it was not covered at night.

Extremely close to the railroad tracks with hourly trains you can hear
from miles away.

Will return to Memphis because of family, but will never return to a
Hampton Inn. Holiday Inn Express is our brand of choice and we will be
sticking with them.

All I have received from them is an apology. My uncle and cousins
ended up with a free room. Is that fair?
Old August 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
A Mate[_2_]

A severe case of expectations beyond the cost of the room I suspect.

Power outages are beyond any hotel's control - that's an electrical supplier
problem!

Hampton Inn - in my experience - are an OK lower/middle price point hotel
chain!

Old August 14th, 2008, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

Power outages are beyond any hotel's control

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything but an apology if the power outage
affected the whole neighborhood.

Not even working phones to contact their
headquarters about the service.

No one had a cell phone?

James
Old August 14th, 2008, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote in message
We spent this past weekend there and the power went out on Saturday
afternoon as we were preparing to go to a wedding. No power for 2
hours, no flashlights, no compensation, nothing. Not even working
phones to contact their headquarters about the service. Hot water went
out shortly after.

You're obviously an occasional traveler.
2 hours is nothing. The Hotel cannot forsee a problem like that, and
they're not responsible.

Eggs at breakfast were shaped like a sausage patty and tasted like
they came out a box in the back of the warehouse.

If true, so what. It's free. I've never had a problem with Hampton's
myself.

Old August 14th, 2008, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote in message
We spent this past weekend there and the power went out on Saturday
afternoon as we were preparing to go to a wedding. No power for 2
hours, no flashlights, no compensation, nothing. Not even working
phones to contact their headquarters about the service. Hot water went
out shortly after.

Guess what - hotels dont control the power grid.

Eggs at breakfast were shaped like a sausage patty and tasted like
they came out a box in the back of the warehouse. Dirty floors, leaves
all over the pool as it was not covered at night.

Extremely close to the railroad tracks with hourly trains you can hear
from miles away.

Will return to Memphis because of family, but will never return to a
Hampton Inn. Holiday Inn Express is our brand of choice and we will be
sticking with them.

All I have received from them is an apology. My uncle and cousins
ended up with a free room. Is that fair?

What a whiner

Keith

Old August 16th, 2008, 04:39 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Not even working phones to contact their
headquarters about the service.

..
No one had a cell phone?

..
What would be the point? Do you think the people at
HQ could wave a magic wand and restore the electricity?

I think he meant he wanted to phone the headquarters to complain about
the hotel's service.

James
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote in message

Not even working phones to contact their
headquarters about the service.

.
No one had a cell phone?

.
What would be the point? Do you think the people at
HQ could wave a magic wand and restore the electricity?

I think he meant he wanted to phone the headquarters to complain about
the hotel's service.

If his complaints were legitimate, he would have called after the "massive"
2 hour power failure. He didn't get a free room. He's ****ed at
everything.

Old August 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008 21:57:22 +1000 " A Mate" wrote:

:Power outages are beyond any hotel's control - that's an electrical supplier
:problem!

You have never heard of a backup generator?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old August 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote:

:Power outages are beyond any hotel's control - that's an electrical
supplier
:problem!

You have never heard of a backup generator?

Have you ever heard of a hotel that had backup power for more
than the emergency lighting system ?

I havent, the cost of installing and maintaining such systems is rather
high and unless you do regular testing there's a good chance they'll
fail when you need them most. Then there's the safety issue involved
with storing substantial quantities of diesel fuel in and round the
building.

For what its worth I have been in much more expensive hotels than a
Hampton Inn during a power outage and all any of them had was
a battery powered light system for the main exit routes.

Keith

Old August 17th, 2008, 12:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Binyamin Dissen

On Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:19:28 +0100 "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

. ..
: wrote:

: :Power outages are beyond any hotel's control - that's an electrical
: supplier
: :problem!

: You have never heard of a backup generator?

:Have you ever heard of a hotel that had backup power for more
:than the emergency lighting system ?

No idea.

:I havent, the cost of installing and maintaining such systems is rather
:high and unless you do regular testing there's a good chance they'll
:fail when you need them most. Then there's the safety issue involved
:with storing substantial quantities of diesel fuel in and round the
:building.

There is a difference between "beyond any hotel's control" and "not cost
effective".

Call a spade a spade.