Pressurized cans in checked baggage

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air
OccasionalFlyer

Default Pressurized cans in checked baggage

I know that baggage compartments are pressurized but I'm wondering
if it is safe to put things like a soda can in checked baggage because
I assume the baggage compartment is not heated, so that any bottle in
it could expand and blow up. Is that true or is the baggage
compartment heated as well? Thanks.
Old November 16th, 2009, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:50:57 -0800 (PST) OccasionalFlyer
wrote:

: I know that baggage compartments are pressurized but I'm wondering
:if it is safe to put things like a soda can in checked baggage because
:I assume the baggage compartment is not heated, so that any bottle in
:it could expand and blow up. Is that true or is the baggage
:compartment heated as well? Thanks.

Why would you chance it? What is so special about the can?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old November 17th, 2009, 01:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John Levine

:I assume the baggage compartment is not heated, so that any bottle in
:it could expand and blow up. Is that true or is the baggage
:compartment heated as well? Thanks.

Why would you chance it? What is so special about the can?

Uh, because the can is more than 100ml and the TSA would confiscate it
from a carry-on? Or is this a trick question?

Airplane baggage compartments are heated and pressurized the same as
the cabin. If they weren't the baggage claim would be full of
exploded cans of shaving cream and bottles of perfume and the like.

R's,
John
Old November 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Duh_OZ

Well before the liquids/carry-on ban I asked someone if they could
bring me some Lowenbrau directly from Europe to compare to the US
"watered down" stuff. He didn't do it, but told a friend over
there to bring some over and she put it (bottles) in her checked
baggage. Let's just say her clothes had the nice refreshing scent
of beer after the journey over.

To top things off he decided to but me some U.S. stuff as a
replacement. Well duh, I could get that in any store around here.

Old November 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
OccasionalFlyer

On Nov 16, 5:47*pm, John Levine wrote:
:I assume the baggage compartment is not heated, so that any bottle in
:it could expand and blow up. *Is that true or is the baggage
:compartment heated as well? *Thanks.

Why would you chance it? What is so special about the can?

Uh, because the can is more than 100ml and the TSA would confiscate it
from a carry-on? *Or is this a trick question?

Airplane baggage compartments are heated and pressurized the same as
the cabin. *If they weren't the baggage claim would be full of
exploded cans of shaving cream and bottles of perfume and the like.

R's,
John

Thanks for the information. It's not a trick question. It's an item
that I find hard to locate while traveling (a low-carb energy drink
made with Splenda, not Aspartame). So I just want to bring a couple
of cans from home as I will need to be energetic for a Noon-time
meeting on eastern time after catching a Midnight flight beginning on
Pacific time.

Old November 19th, 2009, 05:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
JamesStep

Luggage compartments are normally pressurized (although not to sea-
level pressure) and heated. Don't forget that dogs & other pets are
sometimes shipped that way.

But rough handling by a baggage handler might cause a soda can to
burst. I've had soda cans burst after falling just a foot or two, and
a friend once had an expensive bottle of wine break in the luggage
compartment.

If you do take them, be sure the put them in a water-tight bag.

James
Old November 20th, 2009, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Brian[_1_]

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:56:55 -0800 (PST), JamesStep
wrote:

Luggage compartments are normally pressurized (although not to sea-
level pressure) and heated. Don't forget that dogs & other pets are
sometimes shipped that way.

But rough handling by a baggage handler might cause a soda can to
burst. I've had soda cans burst after falling just a foot or two, and
a friend once had an expensive bottle of wine break in the luggage
compartment.

If you do take them, be sure the put them in a water-tight bag.

James

One time I brought back a dozen bottles of wine in checked luggage
from the Napa Valley and they all made it fine. They were packed in
cardboard containers.
Another time I thought I had packed one bottle of champagne well but
apparently hadn't. It didn't work out well.
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:55 PM posted to rec.travel.air
jamoran

having worked on the ramp and been one to load and unload aircraft, I
can say that the bin 1 and bin2 (forward and aft) are indeed heated and
pressurized

JOHN

wrote:

: I know that baggage compartments are pressurized but I'm wondering
:if it is safe to put things like a soda can in checked baggage because
:I assume the baggage compartment is not heated, so that any bottle in
:it could expand and blow up. Is that true or is the baggage
:compartment heated as well? Thanks.

Why would you chance it? What is so special about the can?

--
JOHN

888-5-analon (888-526-2566)

computers (unix admin), chemistry, and Freggs too
I make it work. X-windows, not MSW !