Reno to S.F.????

Old March 16th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Roo

Default Reno to S.F.????

Hi,
how long is the driving time from Reno to San Francisco.???

Thanks Roo

Old March 16th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:22:59 GMT, "Roo"
wrote:

Hi,
how long is the driving time from Reno to San Francisco.???

In the middle of the night maybe four hours or so. During the day
it depends on what time you get through Sacramento or enter the
Bay Area around Vallejo, where the Mother of All Traffic Jams
begins each morning commute. You haven't lived until you've
driven from Vallejo to San Francisco during morning commute time.

Old March 16th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Roo" wrote:

Hi,
how long is the driving time from Reno to San Francisco.???

4-5+ hours depending on traffic.
Old March 16th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Ken

Hatunen wrote in news:tj6e50dha4g9gmk9qmq6nk7vb2uf5sku06@
4ax.com:
In the middle of the night maybe four hours or so. During the day
it depends on what time you get through Sacramento or enter the
Bay Area around Vallejo, where the Mother of All Traffic Jams
begins each morning commute. You haven't lived until you've
driven from Vallejo to San Francisco during morning commute time.

On weekdays, the best time to drive is in the evening. Try to hit Sacramento
after rush hour (maybe 7pm).

On weekends, there is a lot of evening traffic from vacationers. Morning is
best.
Old March 16th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Peter L

"Roo" wrote in message
news
Hi,
how long is the driving time from Reno to San Francisco.???

If there is no traffic or weather problems, 4 hours plus or minus 30
minutes.

Thanks Roo

Old March 16th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article , Ken
wrote:

Hatunen wrote in news:tj6e50dha4g9gmk9qmq6nk7vb2uf5sku06@
4ax.com:
In the middle of the night maybe four hours or so. During the day
it depends on what time you get through Sacramento or enter the
Bay Area around Vallejo, where the Mother of All Traffic Jams
begins each morning commute. You haven't lived until you've
driven from Vallejo to San Francisco during morning commute time.

On weekdays, the best time to drive is in the evening. Try to hit Sacramento
after rush hour (maybe 7pm).

On weekends, there is a lot of evening traffic from vacationers. Morning is
best.

Sunday afternoons are bad. I've seen it (flowing) bumper-to-bumper from
Truckee down to Auburn.
Old March 16th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:51:28 GMT, Not the Karl Orff
wrote:

In article , Ken
wrote:

Hatunen wrote in news:tj6e50dha4g9gmk9qmq6nk7vb2uf5sku06@
4ax.com:
In the middle of the night maybe four hours or so. During the day
it depends on what time you get through Sacramento or enter the
Bay Area around Vallejo, where the Mother of All Traffic Jams
begins each morning commute. You haven't lived until you've
driven from Vallejo to San Francisco during morning commute time.

On weekdays, the best time to drive is in the evening. Try to hit Sacramento
after rush hour (maybe 7pm).

On weekends, there is a lot of evening traffic from vacationers. Morning is
best.

Sunday afternoons are bad. I've seen it (flowing) bumper-to-bumper from
Truckee down to Auburn.

DO NOT, repaeat DO NOT attempt to drive from Reno to SF on the
last afternoon and evening of a long holiday weekend.

Old March 16th, 2004, 06:39 PM
bbrr

one trip I made in the first week of october
took 12 hours. because we hit an unexpected
snow storm. that was a lovely drive.

but don't worry, it never snows in march...
well...actually... it *often* snows in march.

kidding aside, sacramento and sf traffic is
almost always the gating factor. travel off
hours and it should be less than five hours.

Old March 17th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Icono Clast

"Roo" wrote:
how long is the driving time from Reno to San Francisco.???

That depends upon at least three things:
1. How fast you're willing to drive.
2. Who's on The Road when you are.
3. To what San Francisco neighborhood?
(Takes a bit longer to get to the Parkside, Eureka Valley, or
Cayuga Park than it does to Rincon, Russian, or Telegraph hills.

I've come home in fewer than four hours (I think the quickest trip was
about 3:50) but sometimes allow for five.

Wednesday hence, I'll leave a dance in San Mateo around 23:30 to spend
the evening in Sacramento for a leisurly visit to the Capital and
maybe Sutter's Fort and stops in Auburn and elsewhere en route. Will
probably leave Reno around Midnight Sunday expecting to get here
around Four.

Regardless of time of year, day, or driving speed, it's a lovely trip.
Whenever possible, I take the old road passing Sugar Bowl and over the
bridge with the lovely view of Donner Lake.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Andreas Werner

Hi,

Roo wrote:
Hi,
how long is the driving time from Reno to San Francisco.???

Thanks Roo

try maps.yahoo.com: One minute (less than writing a posting to this group)
and you find:

Distance: 217.1 miles
Approximate Travel Time: 3 hours 19 mins

Meets my experiences: 3 to 4 hours depending on time-of-day, in Rush Hours
may become up to 5 hours.

Andreas