Suggestions for general itinerary for Canadian Rockies trip?

Old March 29th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Keith Willshaw

Default Suggestions for general itinerary for Canadian Rockies trip?

"Charles M. Kozierok" wrote in message

This is currently our plan. Thanks for the other advice as well.

One question ... the Glacier NP web site seems to suggest that the road
can sometimes open as late as a week before we are going to be there.
Does anyone know how deep the snowpack is this year compared to average?

Below average and already thawing

ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/ws.txt

Also, if the road "just opens" before we get there, does this mean that
the scenery will be all still covered with melting snow? Will we be too
early for wildflowers, for example?

I was there in late June last year, there were plenty of wildflowers
at lower elevation but not at the high levels. The first time we tried
to drive it we were turned back by snow

When do you plan to be there ?

I am asking because we might be able to shift our trip a bit later.

Keith

Old March 29th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Charles M. Kozierok

In article ,
Keith Willshaw wrote:
} Below average and already thawing
}
} ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/ws.txt

This is superb! Thanks Keith.

I don't know the lay of the land in MT that well, which basin should I
be monitoring for Glacier?

} I was there in late June last year, there were plenty of wildflowers
} at lower elevation but not at the high levels. The first time we tried
} to drive it we were turned back by snow
}
} When do you plan to be there ?

Around June 22-24th.

We could shift the trip a bit later, but then we get into the busier
July period. I'd rather not do that.

Thanks Keith.

peace,

-*-
Charles M. Kozierok (mail to "dsun" at the domain below)
Photographer & Webmaster, Desktop Scenes - http://www.DesktopScenes.com/?uns
Free and low-cost screensavers featuring nature scenes and national parks.
Take a "virtual vacation" to a beautiful place any time, right on your PC!
Old March 29th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Keith Willshaw

Keith Willshaw wrote:
} Below average and already thawing
}
} ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/ws.txt

This is superb! Thanks Keith.

I don't know the lay of the land in MT that well, which basin should I
be monitoring for Glacier?

Flathead River Basin

} I was there in late June last year, there were plenty of wildflowers
} at lower elevation but not at the high levels. The first time we tried
} to drive it we were turned back by snow
}
} When do you plan to be there ?

Around June 22-24th.

Which is when I was there last year and the snowpack was
higher as I recall.

Keith

Old March 29th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Charles M. Kozierok

In article ,
Keith Willshaw wrote:
} Flathead River Basin

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

} } I was there in late June last year, there were plenty of wildflowers
} } at lower elevation but not at the high levels. The first time we tried
} } to drive it we were turned back by snow
} }
} } When do you plan to be there ?
}
} Around June 22-24th.
}
}
} Which is when I was there last year and the snowpack was
} higher as I recall.

But you said you were unable to drive it in late June, which is why I am
a bit concerned (I do take the note about the snowpack to heaert).

How much later was it when you tried to drive it a second time
(presumably?)

Thanks Keith.

peace,

-*-
Old March 29th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Charles M. Kozierok" wrote in message
In article ,
Keith Willshaw wrote:
} Flathead River Basin

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it.

} } I was there in late June last year, there were plenty of wildflowers
} } at lower elevation but not at the high levels. The first time we

tried
} } to drive it we were turned back by snow
} }
} } When do you plan to be there ?
}
} Around June 22-24th.
}
}
} Which is when I was there last year and the snowpack was
} higher as I recall.

But you said you were unable to drive it in late June, which is why I am
a bit concerned (I do take the note about the snowpack to heaert).

Right the road was closed for about 8 hours by a late storm
but they re-opened the next day

How much later was it when you tried to drive it a second time
(presumably?)

2 days

Keith

Old March 29th, 2004, 10:34 PM
James Gemmill

When near Jasper try the tours at Maligne lake. Lovely.

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 23:13:06 +0000 (UTC), (Charles M.
Kozierok) wrote:

Hi all,

Our family of five is planning to travel out to the Canadian Rockies
this summer for about 3 weeks to do a tour of the national parks and
other attractions. We will have about two weeks to do the parks in the
area, which is a bit of a dilemma, because there is SO much to see. We
have purchased several tour books and are looking through them, but the
wealth of attractions is almost overwhelming.

Our plan is to fly into Spokane, briefly visit (US's) Glacier NP /
Waterton, and then do some combination of Banff, Jasper, Yoho and
Kootenay, along possibly with some of the other smaller parks in the
area. This will include the Columbia Icefields. We will be going through
Calgary on the way up and stopping for a few days on the way back to
visit family.

We are currently in the "general planning" stages and trying to figure
out roughly how much time we should plan to allocate to each of the
various parks, if that is possible. Any input would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks.

peace,

-*-

Old March 29th, 2004, 11:12 PM
Rodney Boles

Charles,

I took my family to Banff/Jasper/Yoho and Calgary last summer at the
end
of June and beginning of July. It was a fantastic trip. We combined
camping some nights with hostels (and one night in a cabin). And then
stayed in a hotel in Calgary. Some random thoughts:

1) Hostels are worth a look. Extremely clean and family friendly. You
can get a private room. Meals are reasonable there and you may
consider eating there even if staying elsewhere.
2) Weather was all over the place for us, but generally dry. But be
prepared for all extremes.
3) Crowds weren't too bad that time of year. BUT, some trails are
closed. We are independent types, and really were glad that we did the
glacier tour at Columbia Icefields early before the tour busses showed
up. Unfortunately, we got to Johnston Canyon in the middle of the day.
4) July 1st, I think, is Canada Day. We were in Jasper and got to see
fireworks, etc.
5) Bring water jugs to the glacier and fill them. Excellent water.
6) We went to the Stampede in Calgary at the end of the trip. Did the
Chuckwagon races. Highly recommend spending doing this. We should have
set aside at least one full day. Instead, we had several hours before
the races. Not nearly enough time.
7) Our favorite stops we
- Johnston Canyon - even with the crowds
- Peyto Lake - another place to try to avoid peak times. Unreal
color. take a look at my pbase gallery at htpp://www.pbase.com/rboles
- Icefields Center/Glacier/Wilcox Pass - This whole area is magical.
Worth trying to stay somewhere on the Icefields Parkway.
- Mt. Edith Cavell
- road to Maligne Lake for wildlife
- Everywhere around Lake Louise was great. Hike up to the Lake Agnes
Teahouse, for sure. Moraine Lake was nice.
- both the towns of Banff and Jasper were fun to explore. Some great
trails around town in Banff. Hot Springs were neat in Banff. Elaine's
coffee and pastries became a morning ritual in Banff.
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:29 AM
Charles Kozierok

Rodney.. thanks for the very detailed and useful information.

We are indeed planning on ending our trip in Calgary and taking in the
stampede.

Would you be willing to give me an idea re how many days you spent
in each of the various parks?

Nice photos too, BTW. What time of day was the Peyto Lake shot taken (the
first one in the gallery), if I may ask?

peace,

-*-
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Charles Kozierok

Default Route from Spokane to Glacier NP?

Hi All,

One of the things we are trying to figure out is what route to take to
W. Glacier from Spokane. It appears there are two basic opions:

1. Take I-90 from Spokane to just W of Missoula, then take 93/35 north;

2. Take Route 2 through Idaho and northern MT.

The first route looks faster, the second potentially more scenic. But I
don't know how how scenic nor how much slower it is likely to be. This
will be in mid-to-late June.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

peace,

-*-
Old March 30th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Keith Willshaw

"Charles Kozierok" wrote in message
Hi All,

One of the things we are trying to figure out is what route to take to
W. Glacier from Spokane. It appears there are two basic opions:

1. Take I-90 from Spokane to just W of Missoula, then take 93/35 north;

2. Take Route 2 through Idaho and northern MT.

The first route looks faster, the second potentially more scenic. But I
don't know how how scenic nor how much slower it is likely to be. This
will be in mid-to-late June.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

We took I-90 to Montana exit 33,follwoed MT 135 to
the junction with SR-200 which we followed NW to
the junction with SR-28 which runs nort past
Flathead Lake to the junction with US-93at Elmo

From there we headed North to the junction with US-2

This was a pretty quick route apart from the occasional
stretches were we got stuck behind an RV or trailer.
Including a stop for lunch it was around 6 hours
as I recall.

Keith