Maiden voyage, any perks or downsides?

Old November 10th, 2003, 10:47 PM
KPJEG

Default Maiden voyage, any perks or downsides?

Hi Karen what ship are you going on this winter ?
Ken G.......
Old November 11th, 2003, 10:26 PM
E.k.R.

Karen,
Aren't you doing the maiden voyage of QM2?

We just canceled our May sailing on QM2. Decided it was too expensive for
what amounted to a 7-day Caribbean cruise. We could go on Silversea for the
same price and probably will.

None the less, I'm very excited about QM2 (actually less so than I used to
be for some reason) and will sail on her eventually. When the hype dies
down and prices are more realistic.

Hope you are still going on the maiden voyage, as I'd love to get the play
by play from you. I have to live vicariously through someone else!

Ernie

"CupCaked" wrote in message
(KPJEG) wrote:

Hi Karen what ship are you going on this winter ?

Maybe, maybe, maybe the last December crossing on the QE2 . . . maybe.
But definitely Radisson in late January '04.

And you, Ken?

Karen

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Old November 11th, 2003, 11:15 PM
E.k.R.

Karen,
I totally understand. While I'm still very interested in the ship, my
enthusiasm seems to dwindle with each report and picture I see. No doubt
she is going to be spectacular, but any more so then say VOYAGER OF THE
SEAS?? I really don't know. Sure she is an ocean liner, but when you are
sailing onboard her are you really going to notice she is an ocean liner? I
have a feeling she will feel like many other large cruise ships out
there.... although a very nice one. Bottom line for me is she is just too
overpriced. When a standard balcony cabin costs as much as a balcony suite
on Silversea I have to re-think my priorities. Like you, I was not that
disappointed when I canceled the QM2 (Cunard has yet to refund my credit
card, and it's been almost two weeks..... they sure were quick to charge it
though!), as I knew we would book something else that I would probably feel
better about.

I'll be anxious to hear about your experience with RSSC. I have heard
nothing but positive things about them, and they really have great prices
for a superior product. Which RSSC ship have you decided on and where to?

Well, sorry you are not on QM2's maiden.... but I know we will both get on
her eventually!

Ernie

"CupCaked" wrote in message

Hi Ernie,

Nope, for a variety of reasons, we decided against the maiden voyage
of the QM2, even though (as you know) we have been booked since
bookings first started and we have been following the building of this
ship from the very beginning. To tell you the truth, we're just not
all that excited about the QM2 anymore, based on what we hear and read
about her progress. I remember living through the same hype and
excitement about the Rotterdam VI, and we turned out to be horribly
disappointed in that ship. I fear the same for this ship.

There are some issues with the QM2 and it's management that I'm not
happy with, so I think we'll wait until initial reports are in to do a
trip on the new Cunarder. This cautiousness, along with some other
job-related and family goings-on, make it even more judicious for us
not to take a two week trip this January.

I have been growing increasingly more interested in ships like
Seabourn, Silverseas and Radisson, so we'll be doing our first
Radisson cruise at the end of January, 2004. We're VERY excited about
this cruise, but I have to say I'm surprised that I'm not all that
disappointed in not doing the QM2 maiden voyage in January. The only
disappointing thing about NOT doing that trip is not being at the
naming ceremony in Southampton with the Queen. I intended to talk
corgis with her, if at all possible ;-)

I'm with you, Ernie. I think I'll wait with the QM2.

Karen