Honeymoon in New England

Old September 20th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Everyboysmomma

"bob" wrote in message
We live in Montreal and spend a great deal of time in the Jackson/Conway
area, and if you can get a room at the Wentworth, TAKE IT! We've stayed
there several times, and it's where we spent our honeymoon 10 years ago.
The
food is astounding, but the Thompson House Eatery, just up the road, is
also
fantastic.
Concerning driving around vs. staying in one place, it is actually a
really
good base for day trips. You're really close to Pinkham Notch, but
Franconia
and Crawford Notches are short day trips. A drive up into the wild North
of
Berlin can take you into Maine for a some moose watching. And Conway is
only, what, 90 miles to the coast?
Go for it.

--
Bob

Whoops... I think Bob means 90 MINUTES to the coast!! We live in Cape
Elizabeth Maine, just outside of Portland (and home to the Portland Head
Light, most photographed lighthouse in the world!) and we went to North
Conway today. We ate lunch at Horsefeathers, right across from the Conway
Scenic Railroad and I was thinking about Fleemo.

If you would like another hub, other than Jackson, Portland is great for
shopping the Old Port, and wonderful restarants. We also have some nice art
museums if that is your fancy.
We rather enjoy Portsmouth New Hampshire, and if you did that second, it
would put you not-too-far from your return flight out of Manchester. Look
at the Wentworth in New Castle (two Wentworth Hotels in one honeymoon????)
at www.wentworth.com/ .
While the other Wentworth I am sending you to is in mountains, this is the
Wentworth by the Sea. We stayed there on our boat (it has it's own Marina)
this summer and were totally stunned. It is on a tidal inlet and we were
able to rent kayaks and paddle around beautiful homes for 4 hours. There is
also a "trolley" bus that will pick you up at the hotel and for some
ridiculously small amount, transport you to a number of locations in
Portsmouth. If you like historic buildings you can visit Strawberry Banke
Museum www.strawberybanke.org
If you like theater there is the Seacoast Rep. right in downtown Portsmouth.
There is great small shop type shopping in Portsmouth and a bevy of great
restaraunts.
I think I am having as much fun with this as you!
Momma

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Ginny, thanks. I'm not sure we'll make it to Rhode Island, but if we
do, your advice sounds wonderful!

Momma, the Wentworth Inn looks really nice! And luckily, they have
availability when we'll be in the area. Thanks so much for the
suggestion.

-Fleemo

Old September 20th, 2004, 05:02 AM
PTRAVEL

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
My fiancé and I are being wed the second week of October, which I hear
is the perfect time to visit New England. Can anyone suggest
excellent yet reasonably priced Bed & Breakfasts in New England? Our
airline tickets (a wedding gift) will take us to Providence, Hartford
or Manchester. I thought perhaps Manchester to visit the White
Mountains, but I'd love to hear other suggestions.

Regarding the style of Bed & Breakfast, we're definitely on a budget,
and we also prefer the kind of "rustic" style places to the big, fancy
schmancy places. But we're open. If you've fallen in love with (or
at!) a Bed & Breakfast in New England, please share your advice!

Thanks.

In Old Deerfield, Massachusetts (about a 90 minute drive from Boston) is the
Old Deerfield In.. This is a charming, period inn, featuring rooms
furnished with antiques. The inn is in the middle of historic Old
Deerfield, which is composed of period houses from the 16th and early 17th
century. It is a beautiful, magical place -- highly recommended -- AND,
they have a website.

Old October 13th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Fleemo

Hello Folks! Here I sit at the computer in the lobby of the Eagle
Mountain House in Jackson, NH on the second day of our honeymoon. Had
a fantastic dinner here, and the grounds are charming. Had a
wonderful drive along the Kancamagus Highway this afternoon, and
tomorrow it's off to the top of Mt. Washington.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their help in planning this
honeymoon, especially Momma who offered so much wonderful advice! Warm
regards to you all.

-Fleemo

Old October 13th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Everyboysmomma

Ray...
What the heck are you doing at a computer on your HONEYMOON... Maybe I
should have offered a different type of advice! ;-)
It looks like you have some fantastic weather for the next couple of days.
I hope it is as clear tomorrow as it is today for your trip to the summit.
Today I can see the top of Mt Washington from South Portland (Maine), which
is about 90 miles away. The view from up there today must be stunning.
Just keep in mind the weather change. Weather.com is telling me it is 72
degrees in Jackson, where you are, but at the top of the mountain it is 43.
Bring a jacket. You are going to want to walk around and take some photos!!
If you go and ride the Conway Scenic Railroad, stop into
Horsefeathers(across the street from the station) for a burger. They are
the best I have ever had. Also take a trip through Zeb's General Store. It
is lots of fun to poke around in. It is a real old fashioned General Store.
Have fun!!
Momma
om...