Newark airport to liberty island

Old October 13th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Hans

Nope!!!!!!!!!! Are you accusing us of cheating you?! If you'd rather
not believe what locals tell you, don't ask.

Michael

No no, not at all. My questions were based on stuff I read,I was under
the impression that New yorkers have a 'standard way' of giving tips
and that tourists have another. So I'm sorry if I have offended you in
any way.

Here in Belgium we don't give tips, it's supposed to be 'included' in
the price you pay for the food.

Thank you all for the effort and the very complete answers.

Old October 14th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Larry

Hans wrote:
Thank you all for replying, it was most helpful. I have another
question tho

Since I'm going to Canada and New York, and it's a custom to give
'tips'..I was wondering how that works. I've read somewhere that,for
example, when you take a cab and the chauffeur puts your bags in the
trunk that you give $1 a bag.
In restaurants and such it should be 10%...But I guess there's a
difference between what they tell tourists and what you guys do in
your every day life?

First, see http://www.tipping.org/tips/TipsPageTipsUS.html,

Although this is probably too much to absorb.

For cabs, i usually don't tip the driver for handling luggage; I just
add 15% rounded up to the next dollar. If a hotel bellman handles the
bags, I tip 50 cents a bag, $1 minimum. The same if the bellman takes
your luggage to your room; I usually tip $1 a bag, and, if the bellman
does other things (like explaining the room controls or security) I
round up to $5.

Restaurants are 15% for simple everyday places, 18% to 20% for fancy
expensive places.

Canada is about the same as the US in percentages.

I don't know if you have a car, but if you do drive and park in an
attended garage or lot I tip the parking attendent $1 IN ADVANCE when I
leave the car. It usually then gets parked in a spot where it's easier
to retrieve later.

Don't tip ushers in theaters. If a doorman hails a cab for you that's
worth $1. But not for just holding the door. Don't tip guides in
museums or other tourist attractions. However, I have been known to
make a contribution to the museum through the guide on occasion.

In Starbucks there is a cup to collect tips. I usually don't, and it's
a subject that is debated hotly in the US. But then, I usually don't go
into Starbucks unless it's the only place within walking distance.

Don't tip in fast food restaurants (McD's, Burger King, etc.) In self
service restaurants I sometimes leave a 10% tip if the staff actually
does some work (like clearing tables). Otherwise, no.

Bathroom attendents should not be tipped unless you ask them to do
something for you. Handing you a towel or turning on the water isn't
enough.

Larry

Old October 15th, 2004, 06:45 AM
Pan

On 14 Oct 2004 15:46:20 -0700, "Larry" wrote:

[snip]
Restaurants are 15% for simple everyday places, 18% to 20% for fancy
expensive places.

[snip]

I wouldn't agree. The percentage of tax charged to the waiter is the
same. Plus, if your bill is low, are you going to just leave a 25-cent
tip? I usually don't leave less than a minimum of $1, even if that's a
40% tip.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.