Driving times from Chicago

Old October 6th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Default Driving times from Chicago

Driving times from Chicago to:

NEW YORK CITY: 181/2 hours
ATLANTA: 16 hours
CLEVELAND: 6 1/2 hours
DETROIT: 4 hours 45 minutes
TORONTO: 9 hours 15 minutes

Old October 6th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Is trafic that bad in Chicago?. Is it easy to get to Winthrop Harbor
from Chicago via car?.

Cheers.

Ben Smith

Old October 6th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Tom J

wrote in message
oups.com...
Driving times from Chicago to:

NEW YORK CITY: 181/2 hours
ATLANTA: 16 hours
CLEVELAND: 6 1/2 hours
DETROIT: 4 hours 45 minutes
TORONTO: 9 hours 15 minutes

Based on what criteria?
Based on what location in each city?
In other words, those times are so much garbage as to be useless.

As an example, it has taken me as little as 7 hours from Chicago to Atlanta
and has taken me as long as 12 hours from Detroit to Chicago

It all has to do with location and traffic conditions, especially in and out
of the starting and ending cities.

Tom J
who has been in and out of all these cities more times than I can remember

Old October 8th, 2004, 01:10 PM
BobT

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:42:20 -0400, "Tom J"
wrote:

Driving times from Chicago to:

NEW YORK CITY: 181/2 hours
ATLANTA: 16 hours
CLEVELAND: 6 1/2 hours
DETROIT: 4 hours 45 minutes
TORONTO: 9 hours 15 minutes

Based on what criteria?
Based on what location in each city?
In other words, those times are so much garbage as to be useless.

As an example, it has taken me as little as 7 hours from Chicago to Atlanta
and has taken me as long as 12 hours from Detroit to Chicago

Hmmm, 7 hours Chicago to Atlanta?? It's around 700 miles, you know.
Are you sure you were doing it in an automobile?

Old October 12th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Icono Clast

BobT wrote:
Hmmm, 7 hours Chicago to Atlanta?? It's around 700 miles, you know.
Are you sure you were doing it in an automobile?

Didn't get on the 'plane in Washington. Asked the ticket taker "How
far is it to Atlanta?" "Oh, about six or seven hours." `Fine,' I
thought. 'It's 22:30 and I've been up for only 20½ hours. Fewer than
four hundred miles? I think I can do dat.' But I also thought it
curious as the flight isn't much shorter than two hours.

Went to rent a car. "How far is it to Atlanta?" "About seven hours."

Knowing I have a tendency to fall asleep at the wheel, while signing
the contract I said to me `I wonder if this is the last time I'll
ever sign my name.'

Hit The Road and, after about three hours, sleep called so pulled
over and slept about twenty minutes. When I awoke, I asked a man "How
far is it to Atlanta?" "Oh, about seven, maybe eight, hours?" WHAT?!?

It proved to be farther than seven hundred miles (something that
nobody told me even though I asked many) and 11½ hours accompanied by
the first sunrise I'd seen in decades.

Obviously I made it safely but when someone asks "How far?" why do
people answer "How long?" I don't get it. And if they don't know, as
most I asked obviously didn't, why don't they say so?

[By the way, that day proved to be the longest in my life. Arose at
08:00 (02:00 Atlanta time] in Milano and crashed at 21:30, about 42½
hours. I do not recommend it.]
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net