Nice Hotel in London

Old December 30th, 2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle

Default Nice Hotel in London

Five of us couples will be in London for four nights starting April 25th
next year...I would appreciate any information on a centrally located hotel
that is nice but does not cost an arm and leg with the exchange rate being
what it is between a British Pound and US Dollar.
TIA,
--Jean

Old December 30th, 2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 19:22:24 -0600, "Jean O'Boyle"
wrote:

Five of us couples will be in London for four nights starting April 25th
next year...I would appreciate any information on a centrally located hotel
that is nice but does not cost an arm and leg with the exchange rate being
what it is between a British Pound and US Dollar.
TIA,
--Jean

Try the Tavistock group, if there are going to be ten
of you in one hotel. They are located in the Bloomsbury
area of london near the British Museum and Oxford Street,
rates are reasonable and better standards than the BBs.
http://www.imperialhotels.co.uk/imper.htm is the website
for the group.
Old December 30th, 2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Term Limits Now[_1_]

First off, as you are aware, 'affordable' and 'London' are exculsive
terms.

As for the least expensive... at one time you could pitch your tent
near Acton (a ways out from Center London, but accessible via the East
Acton Underground). I think they called the place 'Tent City', but
this may only be open during the summer months. Cost for picthing a
tent and having access to the facilities was something like GBP 5/day.

A Dorm Room in a Private Hostel will cost some where between GBP 15-20
per night. This will be at a higher rate at one of the London YHA
affiliated Hostles. (Which for my money are better establishments).
BTW: The least expensive places do not attract the best segment of
travelers. Keep your identification/currency/credit cards with you at
all times. Put them in a plastic bag and take it with you into the
shower. No kidding.

Check the London School of Economics Web Site. They offer very
reasonable deals during holiday periods. Rooms are at their Residence
Halls, and they do have some larger units which will accommodate a
family group.
http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/vacations/

www.yha.org.uk Check this site for YHA hostels. Most have very good
locations, central and near transportation.

www.hostels.com/gb.en.lo.html This site will have other information
about Hostel in London, both private and affiliated ones.

www.bed-and-breakfast-london.co.uk Will give you some B&B
information.
www.webreaks.co.uk/london.htm another site
www.hotels.in-london.co.uk/ and another.

Old December 30th, 2006, 11:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
et...
Five of us couples will be in London for four nights starting April 25th
next year...I would appreciate any information on a centrally located
hotel that is nice but does not cost an arm and leg with the exchange rate
being what it is between a British Pound and US Dollar.

You might like to consider the hotels in 'county hall'

the Premier Travel inn at 92 pounds a room
http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/...?hotelId=23881

of if your budget is higher the Marriot
http://marriott.co.uk/Channels/globa...ypage/UK/lonch

at 180 pounds a room.

I've never stayed at either so I've no idea on what they are like
inside, they are a recent conversion, the location is good and
they are competitive prices for London (believe it or not).

tim

Old December 30th, 2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On 29 Dec 2006 21:27:35 -0800, "Term Limits Now"
wrote:

Check the London School of Economics Web Site. They offer very
reasonable deals during holiday periods. Rooms are at their Residence
Halls, and they do have some larger units which will accommodate a
family group.

I can second the recommendation for the LSE sites; some are apartments
with kitchens and accomodations for four or more. However, I don't
think they're available around April 25th, when the original poster is
going to London.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old December 30th, 2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 11:50:47 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
. net...
Five of us couples will be in London for four nights starting April 25th
next year...I would appreciate any information on a centrally located
hotel that is nice but does not cost an arm and leg with the exchange rate
being what it is between a British Pound and US Dollar.

You might like to consider the hotels in 'county hall'

the Premier Travel inn at 92 pounds a room
http://www.premiertravelinn.com/pti/...?hotelId=23881

of if your budget is higher the Marriot
http://marriott.co.uk/Channels/globa...ypage/UK/lonch

at 180 pounds a room.

I've never stayed at either so I've no idea on what they are like
inside, they are a recent conversion, the location is good and
they are competitive prices for London (believe it or not).

tim

The Premier Travel Inn is good, especially if you want
the Eurostar, it is aboput a ten minute walk from Waterloo.
The rooms are good, breakfast is not included and is pricey.

The location is not that special, apart from being on the
South Bank near all those attractions.
The Travel Inn at St.Pancras is about the same standard.
Old December 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jean O'Boyle

Thank you so very much for all your suggestions and help. Since we are all
senior citizens and will have luggage after just coming off a transatlantic
cruise, we will need lifts in our accomodations and would prefer something
that was not dormitory style...we are friends but not family!

I shall peruse all the suggestions that you have sent and send the ones that
I think best fit our group to the couples involved...Hopefully I can use you
as a sounding board when we have selected a couple of them before making our
final choice.

Once again, thank you and I wish you all a Very Happy New Year!

--Jean

Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

You can check our website - there you can compare prices from over
20 hotel reservation sites. www.hotels4travelers.com