Mailing a SIM card from OZ to USA

Old September 10th, 2003, 03:01 AM
Dennis G. Rears

Default Mailing a SIM card from OZ to USA

"Whytoi" wrote in message
In article , Dennis G.
Rears wrote:

I am planning another trip to Australia in Jan 2004. I made a lot
of use of my GSM unlocked Motorola phone that I brought to OZ last
year. My phone number and SIM chip has since expired. I would like
to have my brother, who lives in CBR buy a prepaid mobile kit and plug
into his phone. He can set up the voice mail and other stuff. I than
want him to mail me the SIM chip by regular OZ post. This way I can
be ready to go upon landing. Is there any problem with this? Can
xraying and other security procedures cause problems. The main reason
I want to do this is that I can give my OZ number to people while
still in the states,
FWIW, I was surprised to find that in OZ airports, one can not buy
a prepaid mobile kit at airports. I was able to get recharge cards
but not the initial kits that contained the SIM card. This last trip
I was at SYD, MEL, PER, CNS, SYD, & CBR. Not a single one had
prepaid. I bought mine at a 7-11. They all had rental phones but
they did not have prepaid kits.

Those SIM cards get mailed around all the time. So I see no problems in
what you proposed.

I have seen Vodafone stands at SYD and they have signs for phone
rental. I'd be surprised if they didn't have prepaid kits.

In MEL the Vodafone did not sell the prepaid kits, they only had phone
rentals. I arrived in SYD and had a 2 hour layover. I could not find a
prepaid kit. The concierage at UAL told me they were not available at the
airport.

dennis

Old September 10th, 2003, 05:31 AM
Whytoi

In article , Dennis
G. Rears wrote:

In MEL the Vodafone did not sell the prepaid kits, they only had phone
rentals. I arrived in SYD and had a 2 hour layover. I could not find a
prepaid kit. The concierage at UAL told me they were not available at the
airport.

Well, maybe an extra 2 hours out of contact is bliss.

But were you on the airside or landside? I assume that you were on
airside waiting for the UA connector to MEL. Vodafone's stand in
landside.

In any case, it would be easy to pick up a prepaid kit once you are out
of the airport. You can even ask the taxi driver to stop at a phone
store.