Hiring a bicycle for the purpose of touring in Australia?

Old October 9th, 2006, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default Hiring a bicycle for the purpose of touring in Australia?

Hi,

I am flying out to Australia in 5 weeks and was wondering if it is
possible to hiring a bicycle for the intention of doing a little
touring. Ofcourse, it would need to have all the neccessary equipment
(eg. luggage panniers) as well as be built for travelling distances and
carrying weight.

Has anyone embarked on such a trip whilst traveling? What would I
expect to pay? Where is best to do such a trip? Without putting too
much thought into the idea, to give a rough idea of what I had in mind
might be cycling over a weekend or week (or maybe two) and cycling
about 30 miles a day.

Burnsy

Old October 9th, 2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ken Pisichko

wrote:
Hi,

I am flying out to Australia in 5 weeks and was wondering if it is
possible to hiring a bicycle for the intention of doing a little
touring. Ofcourse, it would need to have all the neccessary equipment
(eg. luggage panniers) as well as be built for travelling distances and
carrying weight.

Has anyone embarked on such a trip whilst traveling? What would I
expect to pay? Where is best to do such a trip? Without putting too
much thought into the idea, to give a rough idea of what I had in mind
might be cycling over a weekend or week (or maybe two) and cycling
about 30 miles a day.

Burnsy

I met a French fellow in Cairns who worked his way "up" from Melbourne
where he bought his gear. I met him again in Borroloola (NT) and in
Katherine (NT). He was on his way around Australia - having bought most
of his gear (that you indicate you will need) in Melbourne. So yes, it
is possible. He travelled lightly (and to me was in one heck of a rush
not eating well and..) but travelled on the dirt part of the Savannah
Way and on bitumen. He had a cheap bike made in the orient with no lugs
and what looked like welded joints (no lugs) at the tubes. He had 700C
wheels, and rode with flip-flops, instead of proper shoes, but he was
travelling lightly and on a real tight budget, not even paying for
showers at campgrounds that he went into (for a shower, not for camping
as it was too expensive).

There are some folks who advertise their camping gear in youth hostels -
so it might be a way of finding gear. Also, if you land in Sydney, go to
the King's cross market in the car park behind the police station, a few
blocks from the train station. There are folks who are selling their
camping stuff- usually RVs and cars, but I did see some bicycle touring
stuff when I was there on Sept 1st and 2nd.

Me? I brought my gear (bike, trailer, etc) from Canada and brought it
back with me (as well as a LOT of extra stuff). I paid XS baggage for
it too, but I wanted those books, the Vegemite and other VERY valuable
things only to be purchased in OZ ;-)

Ken, Canada
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:19 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Geoff Lillico

This site might help you.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/

--
The Commissioner

www.the-commissioner.com

oups.com...

Old October 9th, 2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Roger[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I am flying out to Australia in 5 weeks and was wondering if it is
possible to hiring a bicycle for the intention of doing a little
touring. Ofcourse, it would need to have all the neccessary equipment
(eg. luggage panniers) as well as be built for travelling distances and
carrying weight.

Has anyone embarked on such a trip whilst traveling? What would I
expect to pay? Where is best to do such a trip? Without putting too
much thought into the idea, to give a rough idea of what I had in mind
might be cycling over a weekend or week (or maybe two) and cycling
about 30 miles a day.

Burnsy

Used bikes seem to be for sale in practically every secondhand shop
I see, they are cheap $100 for an 18 speed mountain bike. I'm not
sure that anyone could rent you one for that price, selling at a 2nd hand
shop at the end of your trip would be easy as long as you expect about
50% of what you paid.

Buying a pannier rack and a pair of bags would probably be the most
expensive part of it.

Old October 10th, 2006, 06:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:25:28 GMT, "Roger"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Nor only that, but also, I see from our local shopper catalogues here
in Perth, that many large dept stores often have specials on "New"
bikes for around that price or below......

As you said the panniers etc would be the most expensive part
probably!! although just some smallish cheasp backpack type bags from
those same stores would most likely do for the lenth of your expected
trip.

Anyway, why would you need all that extra stuff, if perhaps you're
only expecting perhaps to be cycling over a weekend or one week ??

Tony