how many airlines / types of planes have outlets?

Old November 9th, 2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
yawnmoth

Default how many airlines / types of planes have outlets?

I've been on a number of different aircraft operated by different
airlines and have yet to find any outlets in coach. Is there a
specific place where they can usually be found or are they usually non-
existent?

Old November 9th, 2007, 09:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

yawnmoth wrote:

I've been on a number of different aircraft operated by different
airlines and have yet to find any outlets in coach. Is there a
specific place where they can usually be found or are they usually non-
existent?

It varies by airline and aircraft. Some airlines provide them in business
class only. Some provide them in business class and in the economy class
rows where they seat their elite frequent fliers. Some have them scattered
here and there in economy. Some aircraft have none.

You can look at your favorite airline/aircraft on the following web site:

http://www.seatguru.com/

They put dots on the seat diagrams where power outlets are located.
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Marcus Fox

"James Robinson" wrote in message
. ..
yawnmoth wrote:

I've been on a number of different aircraft operated by different
airlines and have yet to find any outlets in coach. Is there a
specific place where they can usually be found or are they usually non-
existent?

It varies by airline and aircraft. Some airlines provide them in business
class only. Some provide them in business class and in the economy class
rows where they seat their elite frequent fliers. Some have them

scattered
here and there in economy. Some aircraft have none.

You can look at your favorite airline/aircraft on the following web site:

http://www.seatguru.com/

They put dots on the seat diagrams where power outlets are located.

I asked this earlier and didn't get any responses. However, many airlines
that restrict their operations to Europe are not listed on that page.

Marcus

Old November 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

yawnmoth wrote:
I've been on a number of different aircraft operated by different
airlines and have yet to find any outlets in coach. Is there a
specific place where they can usually be found or are they usually non-
existent?

Various places.
In AA economy, they are usually between seats, at about the level of the
bottom of the seat cushions. So, you won't normally find them, unless
you are looking for them. In "Next Generation Business Class", they are
in the back of the seat in front of you, next to where the removable
entertainment system goes. The entertainment system is battery powered,
so it generally has enough power for the flight, without needing the
outlet. I don't believe the AA MD80's have them.
Old November 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff[_16_]

"yawnmoth" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been on a number of different aircraft operated by different
airlines and have yet to find any outlets in coach. Is there a
specific place where they can usually be found or are they usually non-
existent?

Each airline sets their own configuration and chooses their own seats. Many
airlines have either Empower (TM) or regular 110V outlets in at least some
seats - you may or may not need an adaptor. Check the various airlines'
seat charts or a service like www.seatguru.com

Old November 9th, 2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

"Marcus Fox" wrote:

"James Robinson" wrote

You can look at your favorite airline/aircraft on the following web
site:

http://www.seatguru.com/

They put dots on the seat diagrams where power outlets are located.

I asked this earlier and didn't get any responses. However, many
airlines that restrict their operations to Europe are not listed on
that page.

If you are asking about airlines like Easyjet or Ryanair, I doubt they have
any power ports on their aircraft. They operate on a shoestring, and don't
put such luxuries on their aircraft. Ryanair supposedly even considered
not having reclining seats to save money.
Old November 9th, 2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air
AES

In article ,
"Jeff" wrote:

Many airlines have either Empower (TM) or regular 110V outlets in at least some
seats - you may or may not need an adaptor.

In some cases (Lufthansa Bus Class flights?) the 110V outlets are set
deep enough down into a hole in a pocket inside the armrest that it can
be difficult to plug certain power supply bricks, or adaptors like the
Mac laptop ac adaptors, directly into them. If you really want to be
sure you have access to them, you might want to bring along a 6"
(that's 6", not 6') extension cord.
Old November 10th, 2007, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Andrew Nightingale

Ryanair supposedly even considered
not having reclining seats to save money.

They have taken this step. I flew back from Treviso with Ryanair about a
month ago and asked how to recline the seat as I couldn't see how to.
The charming stewardess told me "They don't recline".

--
Andrew Nightingale of Cambridge (UK)

Old November 12th, 2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jeff[_16_]

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

Andrew Nightingale wrote:

Ryanair supposedly even considered
not having reclining seats to save money.

They have taken this step. I flew back from Treviso with Ryanair about a
month ago and asked how to recline the seat as I couldn't see how to.
The charming stewardess told me "They don't recline".

No more knee crushing wars.

They also took out (or didn't install) window shades. Coupled with a 29
inch pitch, this is "cheap" to the nth degree. No way I'd ever fly RyanAir

Old November 13th, 2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message t "Jeff"
wrote:

They also took out (or didn't install) window shades. Coupled with a 29
inch pitch, this is "cheap" to the nth degree. No way I'd ever fly RyanAir

Probably saves a chunk on parts, maintenance, and even fuel (lessor
weight)