Official vs actual carry-on luggage dimensions (USA)

Old January 1st, 2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

Default Official vs actual carry-on luggage dimensions (USA)

On Jan 1, 12:05*pm, mag3 wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:40:23 -0800 (PST), Jim Davis wrote:
Excuse me, but I'm entitled to my fair share of that space as much as
anyone else. And yes, the rule *was* enforced becuse the bag wasn't
allowed on! *That's the rule! "Not enforced" means that the bag would have
been permitted on, making it not necessary for me to substitute with a different,
less protective, less secure container but one which *did* satisfy the rule!
I did what I did in order to protect and keep control of my personal property....
I wouldn't have had to do that if the rule wasn't enforced, or if the rule was
more consistent with "reality." *

I'm just looking at this from a different point of view. *Maybe I'm
getting "picky", but it's just for the sake of discussion. *(not
intended to be an argument)

You stated that you unpacked, and split them up. *After the split, how
many pieces did you have. *If you had more than two, it was beyond the
one carry-on + one personal item rule.

It resulted in two pieces. *But remember, this was an Australian based airline flying
under Australian domestic rules (not even international). The 1+1 rule started as a US
based rule which may now be replicated by other world wide airlines for consistency (hopefully).

I'm not sure if 1+1 was in effect in Australia at the time. I think the greater concern was, "can
it fit either under the seat or in the bin?" The rule that *was* enforced *was that any carryon
(no matter the qty) had to fit in the "sizing" box both at check in and at the gate or it could not
be carried on. The sizing box clearly was built for a max length of 20", not 22". After getting on
board (an Airbus A320), I'm certain my carryon (a standard 9-14-22" Samsonite hard shelled
Rollaboard) would have easily fit in the overhead bin. But that didn't matter. The length exceeded
20" and therefore, it was disallowed. *I should have seen this coming as I was waiting the terminal
at CNS. The check in agent strongly advised me to check it. As I was in the waiting area, I saw that
no one else had any carryon that long. All that I saw were under 20" max length.

Point being, all of these carry on regulations need to be standardized "internationally" *so that
everyone is on the same page and knows what the limits are. *That said, the "standard" should
allow for the max. convenience of each pax. while being fair to all pax. Ideally, I'd like to see a
"1 carryon" in the bin per seat (45" linear max), and then allow any/all other personal items that
will correctly fit under the seat. If that's 2 or 3 or 4 items, that's fine, as long as the all properly
fit under the seat....

Regards,

Arnold- Hide quoted text -

100% agreed that the rules should be standardized, but when a single
airline cannot standardize the rules within their own system, the
future looks pretty dim.
Old January 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Pro

The size does matter.
Some over head compartments (767's) are not very deep or wide.
My carryon that fits overhead on all 737's and 757's and 777's with
ease, does not fit at all in a 767 over head (Hawaiian Airlines)
I have an American Tourister brand carryon.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mag3

On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 01:15:05 GMT, Craig Welch wrote:

On my trip home from CNS to GUM on CO, the CO check-in agent (an Australian) tried to
force me to check it again when I had to remind her of CO's policy of 9-14-22". It took
some negotiation but she allowed me to bring it on....

Well that proves it! A sample of two ...

That's 100% for me...... And I don't intend to risk increasing the staisitcal accuracy....

Two is too many.... Sorry...

Regards,

Arnold
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:31 AM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"Craig Welch" wrote in message
"William Black" said:

"Craig Welch" wrote in message
. ..
mag3 said:

Everyone in Europe and Asia since August 2006.

Not so.

Where isn't it enforced?

Europe and Asia. Enforcement is variable.

Where isn't it enforced?

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

mag3 said:

Everyone in Europe and Asia since August 2006.

Not so.

Where isn't it enforced?

Europe and Asia. Enforcement is variable.

Where isn't it enforced?

Europe and Asia. Enforcement is variable.

This is getting a bit like pulling teeth.

Name the airports where the regulations are not enforced.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

mag3 said:

Everyone in Europe and Asia since August 2006.

Not so.

Where isn't it enforced?

Europe and Asia. Enforcement is variable.

Where isn't it enforced?

Europe and Asia. Enforcement is variable.

This is getting a bit like pulling teeth.

Name the airports where the regulations are not enforced.

See my previous post.

But IME it isn't enforced or not enforced, on an airport by airport basis.
It's enforced on a random day of the week/Airport terminal/individual queue
basis.

Got to LHR tomorrow and it will be enforced, go the next day and it won't
be.

Stand in line at T1 on Monday and it will be enforced, stand in line at T2
on Monday and it won't be.

Get in the queue at T1 operated by Jim and it will be enforced, get in the
queue at T2 operated by Bob and it wont be.

It's completely random. But IME, at some point during the week, at one of
the lines, somewhere at LHR the operator will be doing his job properly(?)
and checking carry on size and weight.

So LHR does enforce the rule, but if you only go there once, the chance is
(possibly as high as 90%) that you won't get checked and will thus come away
with the assumption that they never check there. But the do and if you get
the 10% day with your large bag, you are stuffed.

tim

Old January 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air
William Black

"tim....." wrote in message

So LHR does enforce the rule, but if you only go there once, the chance is
(possibly as high as 90%) that you won't get checked and will thus come
away with the assumption that they never check there. But the do and if
you get the 10% day with your large bag, you are stuffed.

I've passed through Heathrow more times than I can count in the past couple
of years.

After August 2006, in my experience, the carry-on bag limits have always
been rigidly enforced by the check-in staff.

The last four times my carry-on has been weighed, something almost unheard
of a few years ago.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

"William Black" said:

"Craig Welch" wrote in message
m...
mag3 said:

Everyone in Europe and Asia since August 2006.

Not so.

Where isn't it enforced?

Europe and Asia. Enforcement is variable.

Where isn't it enforced?

Europe and Asia. Enforcement is variable.

This is getting a bit like pulling teeth.

Name the airports where the regulations are not enforced.

Changi. I fly SQ regularly and usually first class. I have carried
multiple, large, heavy bags on occasion.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air
tim.....

"Craig Welch" wrote in message
Tchiowa said:

On Jan 2, 5:02 pm, "William Black"

Name the airports where the regulations are not enforced.

Changi. I fly SQ regularly and usually first class. I have carried
multiple, large, heavy bags on occasion.

Ditto, amongst others.

Cathay at Hong Kong is the same.

A couple of times at Brisbane, my carry-on was weighed after x-ray,
and the security goon told me that I couldn't take it on board. I
said to him "that's a matter between me and the airline", and
proceeded. He did nothing.

That doesn't wash at STN.. If the security attendant say that you can't
carrying that bag through, you don't get to carry the bag through.

tim

Old January 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 12:39:15 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message
.. .
I'm shopping for a large carry-on bag, and I'm struck by the fact that
virtually all of the manufacturers' sites give the dimensions of their
large ones as 22x14x10".

Really?

My max sized carry on is 22 by 15 by 8. There was a large choice of bags in
this size.

tim

If I am not mistaken, Ebags.com allows you to search for carry-on bags
based on the various airlines' confliciting size limits. A very handy
thing I have found. I have a couple of different (cheap) soft-sided
bags I use depending on who I am flying.

Although of late, except for long-haul international flights, I
generally just carry a smallish "messenger bag" that holds my
credentials, paperwork for flights and hotels, my mp3 player, a back
up cd player (I go slowly nuts without music on long flights...the
movies bite, the screens suck and the on-board entertainment often has
the sound quality of wax paper and a comb but I digress..) a couple of
granola or candy bars and a very few other essentials.

It is amazing hiow often I still see people trying to clean and jerk a
small sofa (or so it appears) into the overhead. I once saw some
young cheerleader/gymnast types, one of whom had a bag so heavy it
took all three girls travelling together to lift and force it into the
overhead, I suspect they had a spare team member in there like hiding
friends in the trunk of your car to cheat the drive-in theatre..for
those of you who remember *that* scheme. :0

With more and more "regional jets" showing up, it's getting harder to
load anything bigger than a box of graham crackers into some overhead
bins anyway.

Jim P.