Ryanair - no refund if booking cancelled

Old June 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Nige

Default Ryanair - no refund if booking cancelled

I read this letter and reply in the Sunday Times London concerning the
policy of RYANAIR to give any refund on money paid for flights that can not
be used.

QUOTE
IN A RECENT rant (Travel, May 30), EasyJet replied to an inquiry about tax
refunds by saying: "By law, we are only obliged to refund the Air Passenger
Duty, which is £5 each way." I quoted this to Ryanair, requesting a refund
for return flights for two to Italy on which we shall be unable to travel.
Ryanair, however, has replied: "All tickets issued for flights operated by
ourselves are nonrefundable, including any taxes, fees or charges that may
have been collected in respect of such flights." Presumably it has chosen
not to abide by "the law" on this occasion.
M Howard, by e-mail

Ryanair replies: "Passengers agree to our terms and conditions (which are
clearly set out on the website) at the time of booking. These advise that
"all monies, including taxes, fees and charges, are nonrefundable". Given
that all Ryanair bookings may be changed up to three hours prior to
departure, no money needs to be lost, as all monies can be transferred in
full to the new reservation."
UNQUOTE

So it appears that if you book with Ryanair and have to cancel, you lose
your money including the money paid to them for AIR PASSENGER DUTY and
Taxes.
Now I imagine that this is factored into the costs and Ryanair basically
encourage passengers to book flights that are admittedly sometimes very
inexpensive but some passengers may be surprised to find the total costs are
NON REFUNDABLE if they cannot make the journey.

I can understand Ryanair not wanting to sell cheap flights for £1 each way
or some ludicrous cost, and then have the hassle of refunding the additional
costs such as Air Passenger Duty and taxes, which would easily be much more,
but I am wondering what others feel about this.

They say, quite cleverly, in the reply to the Rant above, that---- :::: "
that no money needs to be lost, as all monies can be transferred in full to
the new reservation."

What they do not mention is that to transfer a booking incurs extra
expenses. A minimum of UKPounds 15 PER Euro22 Person and Per Sector. So
that's UKP30 or Euro44 for a cheap return flight. In addition you would have
to pay any difference in the current cost of the new flight booked.
Obviously, you won't get any refund if the new flight booked is cheaper than
the original.

So I suppose they are correct in saying that "No money needs to be lost !"
But wait a minute. That statement is actually false, because MONEY IS BEING
LOST ! By the very fact that they are charging this extra fee, you are
losing money. Or is this Irish?

once bitten twice shy.

Old June 17th, 2004, 06:32 PM
sbp

I guess I don't understand. Are you stating that RyanAir had to cancel the
flight or did you have to cancel the flight? If it is you who had to cancel
the flight, then I have no problem with not getting a refund at all.

Even major airlines do not allow that if you buy a restricted ticket.

Old June 17th, 2004, 06:35 PM
tim

"Nige" wrote in message
[...]

If you feel that FR are wrong here I suggest that you take the matter to
court.
The OFT (DTI or somebody) has already looked at this issue and have
stated that whilst the taxes ought to be refunded a company are entitled
to charge a fee for the work of processing this refund. I doubt that you
will
convince anybody that a 5 pound fee is unreasonable (the railways charge
15).

FR are are low cost airline. They make bugger all from most pax. This
is subsidised by all the little extras that they make from cancellations.

tim

Old June 17th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Padraig Breathnach

"Nige" wrote:

So I suppose they are correct in saying that "No money needs to be lost !"
But wait a minute. That statement is actually false, because MONEY IS BEING
LOST ! By the very fact that they are charging this extra fee, you are
losing money. Or is this Irish?

Don't blame all of the Irish people for Michael O'Leary's way of doing
things. Some of us are decent fair-minded people.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:11 PM
nightjar

"Nige" wrote in message
... but some passengers may be surprised to find the total costs are
NON REFUNDABLE if they cannot make the journey...

It might teach them to read a contract before they enter into it.

Colin Bignell

Old June 17th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Nige

Hello Brian Pleasant (pleasant by name pleasant by nature i see) ,
The writer of the 'rant' referred to said they had to cancel their flights
to Italy. I note that you are in agreement with any airline that keeps your
money if you have to cancel, including money collected for Air Passenger
Duty and Taxes that the airline is collecting on behalf of others.
Nige

"
that no money needs to be lost, as all monies can be transferred in full

the new reservation."

What they do not mention is that to transfer a booking incurs extra
expenses. A minimum of UKPounds 15 PER Euro22 Person and Per Sector. So
that's UKP30 or Euro44 for a cheap return flight. In addition you would

have
to pay any difference in the current cost of the new flight booked.
Obviously, you won't get any refund if the new flight booked is cheaper

than
the original.

So I suppose they are correct in saying that "No money needs to be lost

!"

Old June 17th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Nige

"tim" wrote in message

"Nige" wrote in message
[...]

I don't personally have any inclination to take this matter up with any
court of law. I am not clear where you get your 5 pound fee from?. When a
computer is used to make a booking ON LINE, and this is all automatic
including taking your money, what kind of fee is required? Anybody booking
online with Ryanair can change the booking or the pax BUT pay additional
costs. However there is absolutely no way of getting the cost paid in
advance for Airport Passenger Duty and taxes back from them.PERIOD
EASYJET terms are clearer and different. QUOTE:
If after having made a reservation you do not fly with us, whether or not a
refund of the fare is payable you will be entitled to claim a refund of any
taxes or charges advised to you and payable by you in accordance with
Article 5.2, which as a consequence we have no obligation to pay to any
Government or other authority. We reserve the right to deduct a reasonable
service charge from any such refund where you fail to fly with us despite a
flight being available.

UNQUOTE

It is worth reading this article 11.2 carefully.

Nige

Old June 17th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Nige

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert_my_surname_here wrote in message
. ..

"Nige" wrote in message
... but some passengers may be surprised to find the total costs are
NON REFUNDABLE if they cannot make the journey...

It might teach them to read a contract before they enter into it.

Colin Bignell

But maybe some more publicity may alert travellers who use Ryanair that the
contract certainly does need to be read. Including the low baggage
allowance.

Old June 17th, 2004, 11:32 PM
nightjar

"Nige" wrote in message
... but some passengers may be surprised to find the total costs are
NON REFUNDABLE if they cannot make the journey...

It might teach them to read a contract before they enter into it.

Colin Bignell

But maybe some more publicity may alert travellers who use Ryanair that

the
contract certainly does need to be read. Including the low baggage
allowance.

The same is true of all airlines and, indeed, all contracts. You need to
know what you are getting for your money. The majority of people don't. Most
of them don't even know when they are entering into a contract.

Colin Bignell