Live in Europe?

Old July 20th, 2004, 04:30 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Live in Europe?

jm wrote:

If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input!

1) England (mainly because I speak the language, but near enough to
London for frequent trips to ROH)
2) Austria (near enough to Vienna to attend the opera frequently)
3) France (near enough to Paris for ditto)

Old July 20th, 2004, 04:33 AM

JohnT wrote:

"jm" wrote in message

If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input!

john

Can we assume that you know that you will need a Visa and that you can at least
get by in the language of your chosen Country?

Given the above, the choice is, of course, subjective but you could consider -

Spain
France
Croatia

I assumed the OP was taking a sort of survey of the countries WE (the
respondents) would like to live in, not asking our advise as to where HE
should go!

JohnT

Old July 20th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Kaitsu

"jm" wrote in message
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

Top 3
Switzerland (german part)
Southern Germany
Belgium
Netherlands

Okay there are four but couldn't decide between Belgium and Netherlands. Why
these countries? Climate is quite nice. Location is good. People are okay.
Customer service in shops, restaurants, garages, etc is good, even if you
don't speak the same language.

Low 3
France
People are so unfriendly that I wouldn't live there. There is no customer
service. I think there are no such word in French ;-) If you want to buy
anything it takes forever. Even buying food from supermarkets takes forever.
And the client is always wrong. No one cares about rules, laws or
regulations. It's like third world country if you look how people act. If
you don't speak _fluent_ French, forget it. No one cares about other people.
If you like extremely selfish people, move to France.

Italy
Too relaxed way of life for me. A bit same as France but the generally the
customer service is a bit better and people are more friendly. But for
everyday life it's bit too "relaxed". Anyway, it's a nice country as a
holiday destination.

Britain
Why? Location and the climate. Otherwise it would be just fine.

Old July 20th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Kaitsu

"Magda" wrote in message
A friend of mine, who has been living in France for two years, said

exactly the same to me
yesterday. But I see none of that; we don't live in the same France !

Żou have just stayed too long in France. You have started to think all stode
unfriendly faces, huge delays, frequent strikes, 2 hour lunch breaks, low
qualiyt customer service and slfish attitude are normal. You should move to
Germany (for example) for few months and you would notice a fairly big
difference :-)

But if you like selfish people, you are never in hurry and you like to make
scraths to other people cars, France is a good place to live for you.

Old July 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM
John Bermont

jm wrote:
If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
and not in others.

I appreciate your input!

john

I would select France, Holland, and Belgium, in that order.

Before you move over have a look at my page
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap22/living.htm.
I've lived in Europe several times and this chapter from my book
recounts many items of interest.

John Bermont
* * * Mastering Independent Budget Travel * * *
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/

Old July 20th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Tim Challenger

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:33:24 +0200, Kaitsu wrote:

No one cares about rules, laws or
regulations.

It's called being relaxed. We don't all have to be like the Germans or
Swiss.
--
Tim C.
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:13 PM
John D

On 20/07/2004 10:33, Kaitsu wrote:
France
People are so unfriendly that I wouldn't live there. There is no customer
service. I think there are no such word in French ;-) If you want to buy
anything it takes forever. Even buying food from supermarkets takes forever.
And the client is always wrong. No one cares about rules, laws or
regulations. It's like third world country if you look how people act. If
you don't speak _fluent_ French, forget it. No one cares about other people.
If you like extremely selfish people, move to France.

Not true at all, in my experience. I'm an Englishman, and I've been
living in the south of France for about 2 years now. OK, so I have met
/some/ people who were rude or selfish, and I've had to queue for
unreasonable amount of time in the supermarket a /few/ times, but in
those respects it's the same as in most other European countries.

There are a few things that do annoy me about France, though, such as
the amount of bureaucracy that exists (e.g. basic things like getting my
phone line connected by France Telecom took weeks to sort out).
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:30 PM
jm

Could ask you the same question!!!

john

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:28:07 +0200, Magda
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:59:43 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, (jm) arranged
some electrons, so they looked like this :

... If you wanted to move from the USA to Europe, which top three
... countries would you consider? Make cost of living a factor in some
... and not in others.
... I appreciate your input!

*Who* are you ?