logement melboure

Old January 27th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Bongrider

Default logement melboure

Bon voilà, j'arrive sur Melbourne fin mars pour un stage de 9 mois à la
fac. Je vais bosser à South Yarra (le labo est à côté de Yarra Park).
Je suis en train de me renseigner sur le logement et je crois que je
serais bien tenté par la coloc avec des locaux (au moins pour les
premiers mois). J'ai lu qu'il y avait pas mal d'annonce à la fac ou dans
les journaux. Est-ce que quelqu'un connait d'autres (meilleurs plans)?
Et surtout, est-ce que il y aurait quelqu'un de sympa pour me conseiller
où crêcher avant de trouver une colloc?
Merci d'avance
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Bongrider

Bongrider a écrit :
Bon voilà, j'arrive sur Melbourne fin mars pour un stage de 9 mois à la
fac. Je vais bosser à South Yarra (le labo est à côté de Yarra Park).
Je suis en train de me renseigner sur le logement et je crois que je
serais bien tenté par la coloc avec des locaux (au moins pour les
premiers mois). J'ai lu qu'il y avait pas mal d'annonce à la fac ou dans
les journaux. Est-ce que quelqu'un connait d'autres (meilleurs plans)?
Et surtout, est-ce que il y aurait quelqu'un de sympa pour me conseiller
où crêcher avant de trouver une colloc?
Merci d'avance

Oups, I forgot that this forum is all in English!
I translate (if someone doesn't understand French).
I'll arrive in Melbourne at the end of March for a 9-month internship at
the University. I'll be working in South Yarra, next Yarra Park. I'm
currently collecting information about accommodation. My first feeling
is that a good solution would be to share a house (or a flat) with some
Australian guys. I think that the best way to find is to look at the ads
at the University and in the newspaper but is there anyone who has a
better way (or even better, an accomodation to share)?
Moreover, I'd like to know where I could stay while I'll be looking for
a house to share? Somewhere not too expansive and with an easy access to
Yarra Park.
Thank you in advance (and all my apologies for the French message)
Cheers
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Geodyne

Bongrider wrote in
:

Oups, I forgot that this forum is all in English!
I translate (if someone doesn't understand French).
I'll arrive in Melbourne at the end of March for a 9-month internship
at the University. I'll be working in South Yarra, next Yarra Park.
I'm currently collecting information about accommodation. My first
feeling is that a good solution would be to share a house (or a flat)
with some Australian guys. I think that the best way to find is to
look at the ads at the University and in the newspaper but is there
anyone who has a better way (or even better, an accomodation to
share)? Moreover, I'd like to know where I could stay while I'll be
looking for a house to share? Somewhere not too expansive and with an
easy access to
Yarra Park.

Many people will be looking for people to share with at the beginning of
March, when the new university year begins.

In addition to ads at the university and the newspaper, you can also
look at share house ads online, at the sites www.domain.com.au and
www.realestate.com.au.

Geodyne
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:00 PM
AlmostBob

Are you sure about the park names,
Melbourne University is in Parkville, nearest to Royal Park,
RMIT University is in the city centre, nearest to Exhibition gardens, and
spread thru many blocks
Monash University is in Clayton, lotsa parks there 18km SE,
Swinbourne is near a park & Hawthorn FC 20km East,
Latrobe University is at Bundoora, Huge park 20km NE

Yarra park is 7km from the nearest corner of South Yarra

Unless you are working in the tennis centre, or in the hole (research
centre) under what used to be the rail yards there arent many options at
Yarra Park, but South Yarra is a nice place to live, lots to do, good public
transport so its not hard to get to anywhere from there

I wish I could speeak French (or anything else) looks interesting
The woids, The woids, Lookit the woids

--
Ever wonder why evian Water
is $3 for a half litre,

spell Evian backwards
_

Old January 28th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Bongrider

AlmostBob a écrit :
Are you sure about the park names,
Melbourne University is in Parkville, nearest to Royal Park,
RMIT University is in the city centre, nearest to Exhibition gardens, and
spread thru many blocks
Monash University is in Clayton, lotsa parks there 18km SE,
Swinbourne is near a park & Hawthorn FC 20km East,
Latrobe University is at Bundoora, Huge park 20km NE

Yarra park is 7km from the nearest corner of South Yarra

Unless you are working in the tennis centre, or in the hole (research
centre) under what used to be the rail yards there arent many options at
Yarra Park, but South Yarra is a nice place to live, lots to do, good public
transport so its not hard to get to anywhere from there

I wish I could speeak French (or anything else) looks interesting
The woids, The woids, Lookit the woids

Thank you. Now I'm not sure anymore about the location. To tell the
truth I got it from maporama.com. The exact address is:
Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research
Alan Gilbert Building The University of Melbourne
Parkville Victoria 3010
I've tried your yellow pages but I didn't find anything convincing.
Maybe someone can help me if he knows where is the place...
Old January 28th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Bongrider

Bongrider a écrit :
AlmostBob a écrit :

[...]

You were right, I've found the place on the University map: it's is in
Parkville, nearest to Royal Park.
So, I ask my question again (that time with the correct place):
I'd like to know where I could stay while I'll be looking for a house to
share (ie just for a couple of days)? Somewhere not too expansive and
with an easy access to Melbourne University (Parkville, nearest to Royal
Park). Maybe there is a good hotel, backpackers or anything?
Old January 28th, 2005, 03:27 PM
AlmostBob

Look for rentals in the following areas, Carlton (2 minutes walk east along
Grattan Street)
Brunswick 5 minutes North tram ride along swanston street or Royal Parade,
North Melbourne right on southern boundary of University
Flemington just west across the park

this part of the University web site http://www.unimelb.edu.au/campuses/ has
links to pdf files of the campus maps including the building names so you
can find the one you're after the maps are zoomable
http://www.pb.unimelb.edu.au/CampusMaps/Parkville.pdf reference M13 building
104 on the map right on Grattan Street, it was an open secret for ages that
the building was to be named after Gilbert on his retirement, but the old
fart didnt retire for ages. See the web site also for student services, to
help find accomodation, many realtors work with the University as students
are a ready source of bodies to put in flats

--
Ever wonder why evian Water
is $3 for a half litre,

spell Evian backwards
_

Old January 30th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Ken Pisichko

Folks,

I have just read this thread (it is a "warm Saturday night here on the
plains of western Canada at about -6C) and all I can do is marvel at the
helpfulness of contributors on this ng. Compared to the talk.politics...
and the misc. immigration... ngs that I scan occasionally, THIS news group
is really a slice of heaven. Like I tell my boys: be nice, and the world
WILL be nice to you (aka reciprocity is rewarding).

Carry on... and to the OP, you will LOVE OZ - it's beer and it's wine, and
it's life. Travel whenever you can - and beware of the sun in the northern
sky - it will confuse you for a while! Bon voyage et bonne chance!! (so
much for this Canuck's French grammar)..

Old January 30th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Mike McBain

Bien sur. If 'the University' means 'the University of Melbourne'
[because there are at least six others in the Melbourne region],
you could try UniLodge [commercial for students] or Graduate House
[part of University of Melbourne] for an initial couple of weeks.
It's almost impossible to get a feel for the psychic geography of
a city until you've lived there for a few weeks.

South Yarra is only 6 minutes by train from the CBD, but the suburbs
extend out 70 km in some directions. Don't sit at home and decide
to live in Crib Point. The commute could easily take 2 hours.

Old January 30th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Mike McBain

Bongrider writes:

Thank you. Now I'm not sure anymore about the location. To tell the
truth I got it from maporama.com. The exact address is:
Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research
Alan Gilbert Building The University of Melbourne
Parkville Victoria 3010

That's the University of Melbourne, in Parkville, about 1 km north
of the CBD. Nowhere near South Yarra. You'll probably want to live
in Carlton, Brunswick, Parkville [I wish], or Fitzroy. None of those
suburbs are cheap.