Mozambique

Old June 10th, 2004, 11:35 PM
crazykatja

Default Mozambique

Hi all,

I am going to travel in August and September around Southern Africa,
starting in Joburg I head to Mozambique, Maputo, on 1 August. Then I
will travel from Maputo to Beira and later up to Malawi.

Does anybody of you has information where is best to cross the border?

Do you know about hitch-hiking in Mozambique?

Which roads have steady traffic? Are there any other cheap transport
opportunities?

What about staying in tent?

Does anybody know if there are opportunities to stay for free?

Any information are very much appreciated!

Katja
http://AFRICA.kligys.com
www.cc-k.com
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Marc Lurie

Hello Katja,

I know the area very well, so here's my input...

Between SA and Maputo there are two border options. The most usual is
Ressano Garcia, near Komatipoort. The border crossing is usually quite
quick, except when busses are going through.

There is camping available outside Maputo (58km north, at Casa Lisa).
I'm not sure about camping inside Maputo.

The most used route between Maputo and Beira is the coastal road via
Xai-Xai, Inhambane, Vilankoulo, Inhassorro. Its is a reasonable road,
with plenty of camping areas at fairly regular intervals, although
there is not very much between Inhassoro and Beira where the road goes
far inland to avoid the flood plain of the River Save.

There is a campsite called Biques in Beira.

From Beira you would probably go via Chimoio to Tete, and then cross
the border into Malawi at Zobue. Again, this road is mostly reasonable
but less travelled than the coastal road. Once in Malawi, head
straight for the lake.

I take it from your name that you are a woman, and I hope you are not
planning to travel alone. It would be difficult enough for a man to do
the trip alone, but a lone woman would, in my opinion, be foolhardy to
try. Also, hitch-hiking might pose some difficulties. I know that many
people have done it, and I'm usually happy to give rides to
travellers, but it can be very dangerous.

Cheap transport is available. Safe transport is also available.
Finding transport that is both safe and cheap is not regularly
available :- 0

My suggestion is to be very carefull when selecting your mode of
travel. I have seen far too many accidents in Mozambique, and the
majority are single-vehicle accidents due to speeding, unroadworthy
vehicles, animals, and damaged bridges. etc.

Camping is possible (and quite pleasant) in most places in Mozambique,
particularly on the coast, but small hotels or pensao's are also
available at reasonable prices. The food in Mozambique is usually
fantastic, and can be very cheap if you go to the right places.

Be aware of Malaria, and have a wonderful time. Mozambique is one of
the most amazing countries to visit.

Regards,

Marc - Johannesburg

Old June 15th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Zimgekko

my friend Margie Toens lives in Vilankulos and is a travel rep/consultant/guru.
Contact her for more info on mozambique

Pat
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Fogar

my friend Margie Toens lives in Vilankulos and is a travel rep/consultant/guru.
Contact her for more info on mozambique

I need to contact a person lives in Maputo.
Have you some email address, please?
thanks

bye Fogar
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:53 PM

(crazykatja)

Hi all,
I am going to travel in August and
September around Southern Africa,
starting in Joburg I head to
Mozambique, Maputo, on 1 August.
Then I will travel from Maputo to Beira
and later up to Malawi.

Does anybody of you has information
where is best to cross the border?

Stay home and support your local economy. They got them cannibals in
Af'ka.

Do you know about hitch-hiking in
Mozambique?

They like the hitchhikers in A-1 Sauce.

Which roads have steady traffic?

The ones to the welfare office.

Are there any other cheap transport
opportunities?

Are you a cheapo, Take a cab. If you can't afford to go stay home and
support your local economy

What about staying in tent?

Are you that ugly that no hotel will rent out a room to you?

Does anybody know if there are
opportunities to stay for free?

Cheap Ass.

Any information are very much
appreciated!

Beware of dem cannibals.

Katja
http://AFRICA.kligys.com
www.cc-k.com

Old July 16th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Vince

Make sure you check up on sites like the 'US Embasssy in Maputo' website
security issues, regularly.
The beautiful 'Marginal' has seen more & more muggings etc.
It's unfortunate but desperation leads to anti-social behaviour and tourists
are a number one target. There are many fantastic places with great people
in Maputo, but a lot of areas should be given very careful thought before
going near them. Rather make contact with a person who can be trusted.
The old romantic vision of Africa is no longer.

m...