Truck Scales on Canadian Highways

Old September 6th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Joy

Default Truck Scales on Canadian Highways

I have always wondered about the truck scales on the sides of major
highways. I would like to understand how they work.

Does a truck have to report to the scales once a trip or every time it
passes the scales? Once they find out how heavy the truck is, do they have
to pay fees based on the load? What is the reasoning?? Is it some kind of
user pay or is it a way to help moving vans measure the weight of their
load? Any explanations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Joy

Old September 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:12:12 GMT "Joy" wrote:

:I have always wondered about the truck scales on the sides of major
:highways. I would like to understand how they work.

:Does a truck have to report to the scales once a trip or every time it
:passes the scales?

Every time they pass an open scales.

: Once they find out how heavy the truck is, do they have
:to pay fees based on the load? What is the reasoning?? Is it some kind of
:user pay or is it a way to help moving vans measure the weight of their
:load? Any explanations would be appreciated!

They check the weight against the papers (and check the lading papers as
well).

If the weight is off, someone (possibly even the government) is being cheated.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old September 6th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 12:12:12 GMT "Joy" wrote:

:I have always wondered about the truck scales on the sides of major
:highways. I would like to understand how they work.

:Does a truck have to report to the scales once a trip or every time it
:passes the scales?

Every time they pass an open scales.

: Once they find out how heavy the truck is, do they

have
:to pay fees based on the load? What is the reasoning?? Is it some kind

of
:user pay or is it a way to help moving vans measure the weight of their
:load? Any explanations would be appreciated!

They check the weight against the papers (and check the lading papers as
well).

If the weight is off, someone (possibly even the government) is being

cheated.

Presumably they also check the vehicle isnt over its
allowable max weight too.

Keith

Old September 6th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Király

Keith Willshaw wrote:
Presumably they also check the vehicle isnt over its
allowable max weight too.

It's also for statistics. Data on goods moving throghout the country is
an important economic indicator.
Old September 6th, 2004, 05:18 PM
TNSAF

Joy wrote:
I have always wondered about the truck scales on the sides of major
highways. I would like to understand how they work.

Does a truck have to report to the scales once a trip or every time it
passes the scales? Once they find out how heavy the truck is, do
they have to pay fees based on the load? What is the reasoning?? Is
it some kind of user pay or is it a way to help moving vans measure
the weight of their load? Any explanations would be appreciated!

What I find interesting is they have to go through the scales even if the
commercial vehicle is not pulling a load at the time, or if the trailer is
obviously empty (like a flat bed)?

Old September 6th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Dave Smith

TNSAF wrote:

What I find interesting is they have to go through the scales even if the
commercial vehicle is not pulling a load at the time, or if the trailer is
obviously empty (like a flat bed)?

That is because they check a lot more than just weight.

Old September 7th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Dave Smith

Tom J wrote:

You've gotten some answers, but none from commercial drivers from what I see.

I recently retied from working in one of those inspection stations.

The scales are 2 fold. One is to check the weight by set of wheels to make sure
too much weight is not being placed on the road and bridges in the wrong places.
They also check over all weight of the rig to make sure they aren't operating
over loaded without an over load permit. (80,000 # gross in US -same in Canada
except in metric)

Most trucks are registered for about 36,500 kg, the metric equivalent of 80,00 lb.
but Canadian law allows for up to 65,000 kg. without special permits, provided
there enough axles to carry the weight. Most over dimensional permits require that
there be extra axles to bear the extra weight.

The other reason all commercial vehicles have to go through the scales every
trip is, they are visually looking at them as they pass through and can stop any
rig that they determine has defects that
need to be repaired before they continue.

Weight is actually low priority here in Ontario. That is not to say that the
people at the scales aren't looking for overloads or actively enforcing it, but
CVSA inspections are the top priority. You are right about vehicles being put out
of service for defects and are required to be repaired on site before proceeding.
Ontario has commercial vehicle impoundment for some defects. The "critical
defects" are defined in a regulation and any commercial vehicles that meet those
criteria are unloaded (on site) and towed to an impound facility for 15 days. The
impound is accompanied with a charge for operating an unsafe vehicle and fines
start at about $2,000.

At times they have a crew that is randomly pulling a rig out of line for a full
inspection of the rig, it's driver & the paperwork, including driver's log book
and the weigh bills for the load.

There are at least three periods each year when vehicles are stopped randomly for
CVSA inspections. The main one is RoadCheck, an annual 72 hour exercise that is
held across Canada, US and Mexico. The other is Operation Air Brake, two one day
random inspection initiatives, one which is announced and one which is not.

This is also done out on the side of the highway many times a day.

I worked in the area more than at a scale. You find much more of interest with the
guys who are going out of their way to avoid the scales.

Old September 7th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Tom J

"Joy" wrote in message
I have always wondered about the truck scales on the sides of major
highways. I would like to understand how they work.

Does a truck have to report to the scales once a trip or every time it
passes the scales? Once they find out how heavy the truck is, do they have
to pay fees based on the load? What is the reasoning?? Is it some kind of
user pay or is it a way to help moving vans measure the weight of their
load? Any explanations would be appreciated!

You've gotten some answers, but none from commercial drivers from what I see.
The scales are 2 fold. One is to check the weight by set of wheels to make
sure too much weight is not being placed on the road and bridges in the wrong
places. They also check over all weight of the rig to make sure they aren't
operating over loaded without an over load permit. (80,000 # gross in US -
same in Canada except in metric) The other reason all commercial vehicles
have to go through the scales every trip is, they are visually looking at them
as they pass through and can stop any rig that they determine has defects that
need to be repaired before they continue. At times they have a crew that is
randomly pulling a rig out of line for a full inspection of the rig, it's
driver & the paperwork, including driver's log book and the weigh bills for
the load. This is also done out on the side of the highway many times a day.

This should give you a little more insight.
Tom J