traveling from San Diego to Mexico

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default traveling from San Diego to Mexico

"Tim923" wrote in message
Wasn't Tijuana safer in the 60s? My mom and aunt visited then and didn't
say they had any trouble.

2006 story
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=37039

I think it's only been this way for the last 5 years or so. Drug dealings,
gangs, 'mafia types' found they could get away with doing anything to people
leaving the country. I guess they figure - who are they going to report us
to ? To a country that they snuck into ? They have so much firepower that
the 'good guys' are outgunned. Then they got on both sides of border.

San Diego School teachers info page:
http://www.millievilaplana.com/project/quest.htm

Do a Google search for
Mexican border gangs

Old September 14th, 2010, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dymphna[_39_]

It's not just Tijuana. My SIL is from Monterrey and it is bad even down
there. Her dad and sister were driving and they came upon a road block.
Her dad called her sister and told her to turn around and get out of
there. An hour later they heard on the news that everyone who had
stopped at the road block were dead.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old September 16th, 2010, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

GV wrote:
I'd say it was pretty safe in the 1990's, especially during the day. In the
early 90's my ex-wife, her parents, and I used to drive down to the border,
park on the U.S. side, and walk over to downtown TJ! No problems at all!

I visited Tijuana when I was 15, in 1990. I was on a school trip with
other 14 and 15 year olds. We crossed into Mexico as a big group, and
then our teachers turned us loose. "Stay in groups of three or more,
don't wander down any dark alleys or get too far away from the tourist
zone. Meet back here in four hours."

That was it. Nobody got into any trouble.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:46 AM
robert01 robert01 is offline
Member

Location: u.k.

Hi

someday Mexico will be a safe and prosperous
place to travel. That Baja California looks like a huge amount of
uncommercialized coastline. I've heard it is cheaper than San Diego, but
more dangerous.

Thanks