Need companion for Half Dome hike?

Old September 3rd, 2004, 10:32 PM
micweb

I have always enjoyed chatting with the Europeans I meet in Yosemite.
They have really been pretty nice.

(rick++) wrote in message . com...
snip...
Euro-pests and families are mostly gone.

Old September 4th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Eugene Miya

In article , PeterL wrote:
I wouldn't call the half dome hike "backcountry".

Then, don't.

Old September 4th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Eugene Miya

Old September 4th, 2004, 02:26 AM
Eugene Miya

In article ,
wrote:
Ken wrote in message ...
(NoPoliticsHere) wrote in
om:
Looks like my buddy who'd planned to meet me at Yosemite for
our 9-19-04 Half Dome hike likely won't be able to make it,
so it'll be solo for me I guess.

Not much of a solo.

Sept. 19 is a Sunday. Don't be suprised if there are 200 other people doing
the same hike that day. Even if you're "solo", you won't be alone on the
trail, unless you start well before sunrise. After sunrise, there will be a
steady strem of hikers all the way up to the summit.

That's about right.

Even in mid Sept?

Yep.

How late in the year does this keep up?

Usually until the first snow which makes the rock slick.
And then some. It can go to November or even Dec. in really droughty
years.

Or does it ever let up?

Winter.

It's pretty sad when "backcountry"
gets so crowded they almost need traffic lights.

Well excepting one of the tunnels they only bring the lights out for
stretches of the road they have to work on and turn into single lane.

I wish I could go. Yosemite is high on my list of hiking "I wish"
places. But my list is very long and I get only so many vacation
days per year.

I used to live there. Many months. Jeff Trust who used to post to r.b.
works there as do other friends (we just exchanged some email about the
Dept. of the Int.'s payroll system which we just moved to).
I am headed S of there this weekend. It's very nice. Glacial polished
granite glissening white, pines if you are lower down. In summer the
Valley can get so bad that parking after 10 AM isn't possible (even in
the housing areas). But winter is nice (except the Valley is colder due
to the dense cold air pouring down invisibly). There are other places
nice in their way. Hard for instance to compare Yosemite (the Park)
to say Zion, or Crater Lake, or GC (never been a fan of holes in the
ground), or Rainier, or pick a spot.

Old September 4th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Eugene Miya

a Sunday. Don't be suprised if there are 200 other people
doing the same hike that day.

In article , Ken wrote:
wrote in
. com:
Even in mid Sept? How late in the year does this keep up?
Or does it ever let up? It's pretty sad when "backcountry"
gets so crowded they almost need traffic lights.

Half Dome is one of the most famous day hikes in the USA. During July and
August, you should expect crowds every day. During September, mid-week is
not so bad, but the weekend crowds will last until early October.

If you don't like crowds, try nearby Clouds Rest, which some people say is
more scenic, but with only 10% of the hikers. There are pleanty of other
beautiful hikes with much fewer visitors. Most hikers don't consider a hike
to be "backcountry" unless it takes more than one day, then the crowds thin
out considerably.

CR isn't a bad suggestion. There isn't the acrophobia associated
with the cables, or the slick rock which would otherwise be 5th class
were it not for Proctor.

Do both.

The thing for the Dome is the understanding after reading Robbins' account
of the ascent of the NW face (non-fiction), or
one of the murder scenes in Jeff Long's novel Angels of Light
(if one dares peek over the Visor).

And remember that a paraplegic (Wellman) hauled his ass up that side.

Old September 4th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Eugene Miya

In article ,
rick++ wrote:
Euro-pests .....

I will try that phrase on my English climbing buddies visiting in Sept.

Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----