Need companion for Half Dome hike?

Old September 4th, 2004, 02:46 AM
Eugene Miya

In article ,
rick++ wrote:
Euro-pests .....

I will try that phrase on my English climbing buddies visiting in Sept.

Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
web gateway!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----
Old September 5th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Jan Bøgh

rick++ wrote:

Euro-pests and families are mostly gone.

Warning: I will be there in late september!

Regards
Jan
Euro-pest

Old September 8th, 2004, 03:47 PM
rick++

If you don't like crowds, try nearby Clouds Rest, which some people say is
more scenic, but with only 10% of the hikers. There are pleanty of other
beautiful hikes with much fewer visitors. Most hikers don't consider a hike
to be "backcountry" unless it takes more than one day, then the crowds thin
out considerably.

You can do CR and Half Dome from Tuolumne. It makes a long day, with triple
uphill (three peaks), but has fewer people.
Old September 8th, 2004, 03:54 PM
rick++

Even in mid Sept? How late in the year does this keep up?
Or does it ever let up? It's pretty sad when "backcountry"
gets so crowded they almost need traffic lights.

One of my most interesting Yosemite experiences occurred when
the Park was evacuated during a 100 mph Chinnock wind circa
Nov. 1991. They were afraid that weak trees would fall on campers and vehicles.
They let a few campers sleep in the hotel lobbies.
Well the morning after evacuation, I hiked the Falls/HD trail.
Not a single person until I was coming down. Rare experience indeed.
Old September 13th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Mike Tamada wrote:
(rick++) wrote in message . com...
One of my most interesting Yosemite experiences occurred when
the Park was evacuated during a 100 mph Chinnock wind circa
Nov. 1991.

That was the post-Thanksgiving windstorm, yes? One heck of a memorable
event: the wind kicked up dust, and the lack of visibility caused a
horrendous accident on I-5 with over 100 vehicles. That same night
I was camping at Red Rock Canyon outside of Las Vegas, and the winds
were starting to lift my tent into the air -- with me in it!

Strange.
I remember that weekend as well.
I was at Joshua Tree (one of the last trips ever) attempting to
go climbing with one of the women in the news group. Very dusty.

Well, actually flew over that area back in June about 2K ft. the terrain
in a 182 had to navigate to avoid the MOAs.