Classic Maritime Themes And Museum Quality Art!

Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:10 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Classic Maritime Themes And Museum Quality Art!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Holland America and thought it
would be of interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings,
they are available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Classic Maritime Themes And Museum Quality Art Define Holland America
Line And ms Westerdam

Seattle
Fine art and design is integral to the cruise experience aboard the ms
Westerdam and the unique interior design invites exploration and
discovery of this well-appointed ship. Third in the series of Holland
America Line Vista Class ships, the 1,848-passenger ms Westerdam joins
the fleet as the sister ship to the ms Zuiderdam and ms Oosterdam.

The art and design of the Westerdam, create a further evolution of the
elegance in design that characterizes the earlier Vista Class ships.
“Each of the Vista ships is designed to reflect a quiet elegance that
carries forward the Signature of Excellence theme.” says Frans
Dingemans, principle architect and designer of all Holland America
Line ships. “I would say the design is modest yet very warm and
elegant. I think of her as an elegant lady with great style.

“In keeping with the traditions that Holland America Line passengers
have come to associate with the ships, we have given the interior the
feel of a great classic ship yet with very contemporary style. With
that in mind I chose a theme for the design that reminds us of the
great history that both Holland and America share. After all, the
Dutch were some of the earliest settlers of America and such names as
Hoboken, Brooklyn, and even New Amsterdam, which became New York,
reflect Dutch heritage in America.”

According to Dingemans, the design reflects elements of that earlier
time when, in 1609, Henry Hudson set sail to eventually sail up the
Hudson River as far as Albany. In the staircases onboard the
Westerdam Dingemans has added a large painting of Dutch ships in the
New World and even a statue of Peter Stuyvesant who was the last Dutch
governor before the British took over in the late 17th century. In
one hallway are excellent models of ships from this period and in the
Explorers Lounge there are decorated glass panels which show how the
Dutch shipbuilding industry worked at that time. And to complete
this maritime theme we have a 17th century tile panel which shows the
Port of Rotterdam and the head office of the Dutch East India Company
or (VOC). ”

Even pirates figure prominently in the artistic story portrayed by
various works aboard the Westerdam. In the library stands a statue of
Piet Heijn, the Dutch fleet admiral who captured a whole Spanish fleet
laden with silver and treasure from the New World. Elsewhere on the
ship are art and antiques that reflect the trends of the 17th and 18th
centuries in Dutch art and especially the still life paintings of
flowers and rare items from the four corners of the world.

The impression of luxury begins when guests board the ship. “We have
deliberately not put a huge atrium in the center of the ship but
rather, the atrium functions more like a lobby in a fine hotel,”
Dingemans says. “There are the desks for passenger services of course,
but we want the guests to feel that they are in a space that welcomes
them and makes them feel at home.”

And while the hallmark of each Holland America ship is the great
number of museum quality artworks that are incorporated into the
design there are also works by major contemporary artists. “I am
fortunate to work with an owner that believes in creating an overall
design that incorporates the art into the total design, not just as
something that is tacked on after the ship is built,” says Dingemans.

“With Holland America we can design the ship as one might a great
home. And just as a wealthy person might do who has a fine collection
of art, we look for pieces that reflect good taste no matter what the
time. For instance we have some extremely fine silver doors from a
17th century Indian Palace and some exquisite Indian miniature
paintings from the same period.”

The Indian theme is carried along with the inclusion of two stylized
Indian falcons with silver patterns. These were once part of an
interior created by famed American designer Tony Duquette. “I included
these pieces because Duquette believed, as I do, that good art and
design combines many periods and styles,” says Dingemans. “

Elaborating on that idea, Dingemans points out that he selected some
rare South American Plank figures for their intrinsic beauty and
simplicity. These works are completely flattened, rectangular in shape
and often lacking in limb or extremities. “This simplified shape makes
them especially valuable to collectors today,” says Dingemans. “They
appear almost contemporary although they date from around 2000 BC.”

Modern art installations onboard the Westerdam range from the flowers
developed by VFD Interiors especially for use on the ships, to the
graphic works of Le Corbusier. “He was one of the most prolific and
influential architects of the 20th century,” says Dingemans. “His work
is amazing in that he created over 32,000 architectural plans and
drawings but also a huge collection of sketches, sculptures and
graphic works. In terms of the breadth of his creativity he can be
compared to the great Renaissance masters.”

Dingemans points out that there is an important work by Dutch artist
Corneille in the Lido Restaurant. “He is not only famous but one of
the artists recognized in Europe to have changed art in their time,”
he says. “You find everything in this painting. It’s a landscape and
everything is there including a woman enjoying the view, but it is
painted in a unique style.

“On the aft pool deck we have a wonderful seal by Maggi Giles, who is
recognized as one of the finest ceramic artists living today. And then
we have used works by Tim Maguire, who paints pictures of huge flowers
in startlingly vibrant color. His work is full of light and texture.
That’s also part of the fascination of Has Sas’ photographs. He
records the every changing light that can be found in the north part
of the Netherlands.”

Celebrated sculptor Susannah Holt has created another of her animal
groupings for the pool area. This time she has chosen a group of
Atlantic Spotted Dolphin. She depicts the scarce marine mammals as
they move through the waters around the Bahamas. According to Holt,
these dolphin are not endangered, but they are severely depleted in
recent years. She chose them because of their striking markings.

For the art in the cabins, Dingemans chose the flowers painted by
Charles Belle. “They have a peaceful sense of movement and really
capture the essence of the flowers,” says Dingemans.

“I’ve tried to make everything on board work to enhance the experience
of the cruise — hallways that curve and invite exploration, art and
antiques that will surprise or delight you. I think one of the best
things about good design and fine art is that it can make you feel
comfortable with it and yet have pleasant surprises.”

About Holland America Line
In 2004, Holland America's fleet of 13, five-star, premium ships will
offer nearly 500 sailings from 15 North American home ports, including
new departures from Norfolk, VA; Baltimore, MD; and Boston, Mass.
Recent additions to the fleet include the 1,848-passenger Vista ships,
ms Zuiderdam and ms Oosterdam. In April 2004, the third Vista sister,
ms Westerdam joins the fleet. The fleet will visit all seven
continents in 2004, while increasing the number of cruises to popular
destinations such as Alaska (139 cruises scheduled), the Caribbean
(191), Europe (58) and Canada/New England (26).

Holland America excels in service, amenities and special programs.
Known for consistent and attentive service, its ships have one of the
highest staff-members-to-guest ratios. Spacious staterooms average 25
percent larger and verandahs twice as large as those on other lines'
ships. Menus are among the most extensive at-sea. Dining choices
include formal elegance, alternative specialty dining in the Pacific
Northwest-themed Pinnacle Grill, casual fare and complimentary 24-hour
room service.

The winner of the 10th consecutive "Best Overall Cruise Value" award
from the World Ocean & Cruise Liner Society (WOCLS), the line offers
the only trip cancellation program in the industry that provides cash
back for canceling for any reason prior to 24 hours before departure.
For more information, consult a professional travel agent.

World's Leading Cruise Lines
The highest-rated premium cruise line in the world in the 2003 Travel
& Leisure magazine "World's Best" Awards, Holland America is a member
of the exclusive World's Leading Cruise Lines alliance, which also
includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line,
Seabourn Cruise Line, Costa Cruises and Windstar Cruises. Sharing a
passion to please each guest and a commitment to quality and value,
the member lines appeal to a wide range of lifestyles and budgets. The
World's Leading Cruise Lines offer exciting and enriching cruise
vacations to the world's most desirable destinations. Conde Nast
Traveler magazine readers also ranked Holland America Line as the top
premium cruise line in the world in the much-anticipated 2003 Readers'
Choice Awards.

Old October 24th, 2007, 04:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
PeteBaroni

Default I'm an Artist I need HELP!

http://www.INeedaClick.com

CAN ANYONE HELP?
I'm an artist and I'm about to be homeless because I'm drowning in debt.

PLEASE help me.

Old October 24th, 2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rog'

"PeteBaroni" wrote:
CAN ANYONE HELP?
I'm an artist and I'm about to be homeless because
I'm drowning in debt. PLEASE help me.

Check the yellow pages for "Homeless Shelters"

Old October 24th, 2007, 07:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_1_]

On 10/23/2007 11:09 PM PeteBaroni plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger
and said:
http://www.INeedaClick.com

CAN ANYONE HELP?
I'm an artist and I'm about to be homeless because I'm drowning in debt.

PLEASE help me.

I'm an artist and I have a day job. I walk dogs. Don't look for a hand
out. Be creative, get your self out of debt by working. Don't give me
some sad sack story of why you can't work. I am disabled and I do it --
so can you.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old October 24th, 2007, 08:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Daniel R. Bonham

"Brian K" wrote in message

I'm an artist and I have a day job. I walk dogs. Don't look for a hand
out. Be creative, get your self out of debt by working. Don't give me
some sad sack story of why you can't work. I am disabled and I do it --
so can you.

Oh I'm feeling the love in this group. I had no way to help nor any useful
advice so I refrained from posting. Others found it necessary to throw out
zingers or make baseless ASSumptions about a this person's situation. It
further shows how nasty this newsgroup has become. It is not about cruising
anymore. It is about taking every opportunity to post a nastigram to
someone.

Old October 24th, 2007, 08:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JohnT[_3_]

"PeteBaroni" wrote in message
lkabouttravelling.com...
http://www.INeedarealitycheck.com

CAN ANYONE HELP?
I'm an artist and I'm about to be homeless because I'm drowning in debt.

PLEASE help me.

Get a job that allows you to pay your bills.
--

JohnT

Old October 24th, 2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rog'

"Daniel R. Bonham" wrote:
Oh I'm feeling the love in this group. I had no way to help nor any
useful advice so I refrained from posting. Others found it necessary
to throw out zingers or make baseless ASSumptions about a this
person's situation. It further shows how nasty this newsgroup has
become. It is not about cruising anymore.

Oh, like the OP was about cruising? Or even legit?
Take off those rose-colored glasses and grow a thicker hide.