Hotel Rates: Amsterdam vs Rotterdam vs Den Haag

Old August 19th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Dennis G. Rears

Default Hotel Rates: Amsterdam vs Rotterdam vs Den Haag

I am planning a four day visit to the Netherlands in November. Arrival on
either Thursday/Friday with departure on Monday/Tuesday. I've been to AMS
plenty of times and have seen the city. With the exception of my arrival
date I expect to make day trips every day. My needs for lodging is minimal.
A clean safe air conditioned (In Nov this should not be a problem), I do not
care about heat. My main concern is about access to the excellent NL
transportation system.
I've been to Amsterdam a lot and want to base somewhere else. My interest
is the local culture and museums that stress history. I want to learn about
the Dutch seafaring history. I went to the Rijksmuseum in AMS and was
bowled over by what I saw. I only went to say I was there; Six hours later
they closed on me; I loved their sea faring exhibits. . I want to learn
more about their sea faring culture
The question I have is what city should I stay in? BTW, I will be flying
into Schipol.

dennis.

Old August 19th, 2004, 08:27 AM
/

Dennis G. Rears wrote:
(...) My needs for lodging is minimal.
A clean safe air conditioned (In Nov this should not be a problem), I do not
care about heat. My main concern is about access to the excellent NL
transportation system.
(...)
The question I have is what city should I stay in?

Have you considered Delft or Leiden? If you want a nice, not to
expensive hotel in a decent neighbourhood, at a walkable distance from
the station these towns are good options.

Krist

Old August 20th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Dennis G. Rears

wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:53:59 GMT, John Bermont

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 10:24:03 +0200, "/rist" wrote:

wrote:

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:27:13 +0200, "/rist" wrote:

Dennis G. Rears wrote:

(...) My needs for lodging is minimal.
A clean safe air conditioned (In Nov this should not be a problem),

I do not
care about heat. My main concern is about access to the excellent

NL
transportation system.
(...)
The question I have is what city should I stay in?

Have you considered Delft or Leiden? If you want a nice, not to
expensive hotel in a decent neighbourhood, at a walkable distance

from
the station these towns are good options.

or Haarlem?

Or even Gouda...

All places from where you can reach the big cities in under an hour,

and
all viable destinations in their own right.

Leiden has enough local attractions, no need to visit big cities,
Several of the Dutch national museums are located in Leiden

I love Haarlem but your message indicates that you would appreciate The
Hague. Rotterdam is too "modern" for me.

My message says Leiden.:-)

I would be open to any of them. I want to ecplore other places in the
Netherlands. Can anyone sugesstion hotels in Haalem or Leiden?

dennis

Old August 21st, 2004, 02:20 AM
Yves Bellefeuille

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Dennis G. Rears wrote:

I want to learn about the Dutch seafaring history.

If you're interested in the Netherlands' maritime history, try the
Amsterdam historical museum.

Yves Bellefeuille