How to get from Tongariro to Taranaki

Old November 1st, 2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

Default How to get from Tongariro to Taranaki

I've encounter some negative opinions about Abel Tasman National Park -
boring and crowdy in peak season. Is it realy so ? (I prefer mountains
to beaches) I'am thinking whether is it worth to spend some days in
Abel Tasman bacause I will have only 17 full days in NZ and every day
is very precious for me. I plan to travel from Auckland to Queenstown
and then take flight back to Auckland. Main point in my itinerary is 3
days trekking Ball Pass in Mt Cook National Park. Next would be 3-5
days trekking in Fiordland. Which track do you think is most
interesting in Fiordland ? Is the popular Milford Track overrun with
tourist in January ?
Is it possible to travel by night. It would be some saving of time and
money. I didn't found any night coach services.
My preliminary itinerary is following:
Auckland-Rotorua-Taupo-Tongariro Crossing-Picton - 5 days
Picton-(Abel Tasman ?)-Christchurch-Ball Pass-Fiordland - 12 days

Old November 1st, 2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
JohnM

In article . com,
writes
[...]

Don't even think about Abel Tasman you won't have the time. Take a
breather and relax. I can't believe you will have the time for the rest,
either, but hey, that's just me.

What you need to know though, is that the Nelson area has the nicest and
more consistent good weather you will find in NZ.

PS Are you booked on Milford? I thought there was a limit and you had to
book in advance.

--
JohnM
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:10 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

I take it you are a very experienced ice climber/router to be
considering the Ball Pass? Are taking your own ice pick, crampons
etc and lugging them with you?
Are you anticipating doing this route [and that is all it is!] alone -
if so please DON'T. It's not an easy 'track' as one may imagine!
Unfortunately far too many people decide to get on treks, walks etc in
the South Island's mountain regions with fatal results because they
under-estimate what they are undertaking.

Yes. I have expirience in ice climbing. I climb every winter in high
mountains in Poland (Tatra Mountains) - I live near the area. I belive
I can well prepare for treking. Of course I don't know Mt Cook area and
take guided tour http://www.alpinerecreation.co.nz/ballpass.html

Next would be 3-5 days trekking in Fiordland. Which track do you think is most
interesting in Fiordland ? Is the popular Milford Track overrun with
tourist in January ?
Is it possible to travel by night. It would be some saving of time and
money. I didn't found any night coach services.

I've realized that now it is impossible to book Milford Track for
January (book out till March)
Is it possible to pass Milford Track in one day very demanding trek
without booking ? Or trekking a few hours in one direction and return
to the entry point ?
Probably I will choose Routeburn track.

Thanx,
Michal

Old November 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
JohnM

In article . com,
writes
Probably I will choose Routeburn track.

A friend of mine is doing this in February and she booked it in
September. Check again.

--
JohnM