Alaska Highway

Old June 5th, 2007, 12:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Default Alaska Highway

Calif Bill wrote:
Last year, the Alcan was all paved

The only thing I've ever put on a vehicle of mine to say where it'd
been said "We Drove The Alaska Highway" because, in 1970, it was a
thousand miles of dirt and gravel resulting in fourteen flat tires.

It was called the last great adventure in North America. Guess there
ain't some now.

One could occasionally cruise at 50mph but faster wasn't a good idea.
The towns were about three hundred miles, a comfortable day's drive,
apart.

Old June 6th, 2007, 04:58 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
.. .
Calif Bill wrote:
Last year, the Alcan was all paved

The only thing I've ever put on a vehicle of mine to say where it'd
been said "We Drove The Alaska Highway" because, in 1970, it was a
thousand miles of dirt and gravel resulting in fourteen flat tires.

It was called the last great adventure in North America. Guess there
ain't some now.

One could occasionally cruise at 50mph but faster wasn't a good idea.
The towns were about three hundred miles, a comfortable day's drive,
apart.

You abused your car to get 14 flats. Aquaintence towed a trailer to Alaska
in 1960. No flats, no problems. But he said the guy who took him under his
wing, said to keep it about 25 max. He said he saw lots of broken vehicles.
But towing his small travel trailer with the family sedan went fine. Change
of station from Florida to Anchorage. With 2 small kids. The guy and his
wife who helped him were on their 6th trip.

Old June 6th, 2007, 12:37 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Calif Bill wrote:
You abused your car to get 14 flats.

That car's odometer turned 103,000 miles as we were crossing the San
Francisco Bay Bridge on the way to Alaska. It was floor-boarded all
the way across Nevada and Montana (90mph seemed to be the top speed).

When the car had about 125,000 on the odometer, I gave it to
m'girlfriend. Fifteen thousand miles later, she gave it to her
sister. I don't know how long that car lived but it never gave an
instant's trouble that I know about. It was built at the right hour
on the right day on the right line in the right plant by the right
workers. It was an incredible machine.

Somewhere on the Alaska trip, a kid moved it from one place to
another in a parking lot. He came running into the restaurant to ask
"What the hell do you have there?" "Whaddaya mean?" "Do you have a
V8?" "No. Just a 225 slant six." "What'd y'do to it?" "Well, before
leaving home, I changed the oil, and set the points and timing." He
didn't believe me. Before leaving I had to open the hood so that he
could see the most ordinary of underhood components. He was furious,
complaining that he had the same engine and it was nothing like mine.

Abuse?

I think it was a '67, mighta been a '65, Valiant that I bought for
$400 (shift on the dash).

Old June 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

--

14 flats. You should not have tried the 90 mph on the Alcan.

Old June 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Calif Bill wrote:
You should not have tried the 90 mph on the Alcan.

And you should read more carefully:

"Icono Clast" wrote:
One could occasionally cruise at 50mph [on the Alaska Highway]
but faster wasn't a good idea.

[The car] was floor-boarded all the way across Nevada and
Montana (90mph seemed to be the top speed).

Old June 8th, 2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

"Icono Clast" wrote:
One could occasionally cruise at 50mph [on the Alaska Highway]
but faster wasn't a good idea.

[The car] was floor-boarded all the way across Nevada and
Montana (90mph seemed to be the top speed).

I read it the first time, but 50 or 90, was too fast.