Death Valley in August with kids (should I avoid it ?)

Old May 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Death Valley in August with kids (should I avoid it ?)

Next August and September I will be on vacation in the South West with
my wife and our two kids (12 and 8 years old). I've booked everything
(hotels, car, etc.) since February and I can't stand the wait to
leave!

Anyhow I have a big concern: on August, 25th I should drive from Las
Vegas to Furnace Creek in the Death Valley. I would sleep at Furnace
Creek and then I would leave to go to Lee Vining CA.

Yes I know that August is not the best month to go there!

My car will be a Suv and I plan to arrive in the DV in the late
afternoon and leave early in the morning.

Do you think that driving and passing the night in the Death Valley
could be dangerous for my kids'health?
Should I change my route ?

I would really appreciate any experienced advice.
Thanks from Italy
Alf

Old May 31st, 2007, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On May 31, 8:02 am, wrote:
Next August and September I will be on vacation in the South West with
my wife and our two kids (12 and 8 years old). I've booked everything
(hotels, car, etc.) since February and I can't stand the wait to
leave!

Anyhow I have a big concern: on August, 25th I should drive from Las
Vegas to Furnace Creek in the Death Valley. I would sleep at Furnace
Creek and then I would leave to go to Lee Vining CA.

Yes I know that August is not the best month to go there!

My car will be a Suv and I plan to arrive in the DV in the late
afternoon and leave early in the morning.

Do you think that driving and passing the night in the Death Valley
could be dangerous for my kids'health?
Should I change my route ?

I would really appreciate any experienced advice.
Thanks from Italy
Alf

Not unless you leave them out there exposed to the sun with no water.
People go to Death Valley to experience the intense heat. If that's
not your intention then I would not go there. Just make sure your car
is in good working condition and you carry lots of drinking water with
you.

Old May 31st, 2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Do you think that driving and passing the night
in the Death Valley could be dangerous for my kids'health?

Alf, Death Valley is a National Park and thousands of tourists visit
it safely every year. The heat in August is extreme, but if your car
and motel room are air conditioned, and if you use common sense,
you'll be fine.

Make sure your car is in good condition and has plenty of gas, and
carry extra water in the car. Stick to the main roads and don't wander
far from the car at the overlooks. Avoid any hiking in the August
heat, and if you should decide to go for even a very short walk, avoid
the mid-day heat and make sure everyone carries LOTS of water. The
main danger is dehydration, which can happen very quickly there.

Death Valley has beautiful desert scenery and is well worth a visit.
Have fun!

James

Old May 31st, 2007, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Todd Michel McComb

In article om,
wrote:
Avoid any hiking in the August heat, and if you should decide to
go for even a very short walk, avoid the mid-day heat and make
sure everyone carries LOTS of water.

This is probably good advice if you are not an experienced desert
hiker. However, I have certainly hiked in the middle of the day
in August in extreme heat, and it is something a person can do
without incident.

You need proper clothing, LOTS of water as stated, and also salty
snacks. In extreme conditions, you cannot drink water without salty
snacks. It will kill you.

Anyway, staying at the Furnace Creek Lodge and driving a rental car
from a credible company should be just fine. Then bring the water
and the snacks, use some caution with how much you exert yourself,
and you're all set. You'll enjoy it.

Old May 31st, 2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On May 31, 9:11 pm, wrote:
Do you think that driving and passing the night
in the Death Valley could be dangerous for my kids'health?

Alf, Death Valley is a National Park and thousands of tourists visit
it safely every year. The heat in August is extreme, but if your car
and motel room are air conditioned, and if you use common sense,
you'll be fine.

Thanks James.
I was told that when driving in the Death Valley you have to switch
off the air conditioned!!!
Is it possible to drive with the air conditioned ON ?
Really ???
Please, help me to clarify this.

Old May 31st, 2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On May 31, 3:11 pm, wrote:
On May 31, 9:11 pm, wrote: Do you think that driving and passing the night
in the Death Valley could be dangerous for my kids'health?

Alf, Death Valley is a National Park and thousands of tourists visit
it safely every year. The heat in August is extreme, but if your car
and motel room are air conditioned, and if you use common sense,
you'll be fine.

Thanks James.
I was told that when driving in the Death Valley you have to switch
off the air conditioned!!!
Is it possible to drive with the air conditioned ON ?
Really ???
Please, help me to clarify this.

On certain stretches, e.g. when the car is going uphill and using a
lot of power, if you also use the air con, your car may overheat. But
on flat stretches of road you can use the air con, no problem.

Old May 31st, 2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Jun 1, 12:38 am, PeterL wrote:
On May 31, 3:11 pm, wrote:

On certain stretches, e.g. when the car is going uphill and using a
lot of power, if you also use the air con, your car may overheat. But
on flat stretches of road you can use the air con, no problem.

That's ok. Are there many miles going uphill or is the road mainly
flat ?
Thanks for your help.

Old May 31st, 2007, 11:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Jun 1, 12:38 am, PeterL wrote:

On certain stretches, e.g. when the car is going uphill and using a
lot of power, if you also use the air con, your car may overheat. But
on flat stretches of road you can use the air con, no problem.

That's a precious information for me.
My route is from Vegas to Furnace Creek and then to Lee Vining. Do you
know it there are many miles going uphill or is the road mainly flat ?