AA Boeing 777 DC power source under seat

Old June 3rd, 2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,sci.electronics.design
Mxsmanic

Default AA Boeing 777 DC power source under seat

J. Clarke writes:

Personally I would be very surprised if there was a separate circuit for
each outlet in any case.

Each outlet might well be separately fused.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,sci.electronics.design
R Brickston

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 15:57:25 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

J. Clarke writes:

Personally I would be very surprised if there was a separate circuit for
each outlet in any case.

Each outlet might well be separately fused.

In either or both of the above cases the voltage, in this specific
case 15V DC, would be the same for each plug if a splitter was used.
Just as it would be if you used a splitter in your automobile
cigarette lighter, there is the same number of volts going to each
device.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,sci.electronics.design
J. Clarke[_2_]

wrote:

J. Clarke writes:

Personally I would be very surprised if there was a separate
circuit for each outlet in any case.

Each outlet might well be separately fused.

In either or both of the above cases the voltage, in this specific
case 15V DC, would be the same for each plug if a splitter was used.
Just as it would be if you used a splitter in your automobile
cigarette lighter, there is the same number of volts going to each
device.

And if you're drawing excessive current then the result won't be "low
current", it will be _no_ current as the fuse blows.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old June 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,sci.electronics.design
R Brickston

wrote:

J. Clarke writes:

Personally I would be very surprised if there was a separate
circuit for each outlet in any case.

Each outlet might well be separately fused.

In either or both of the above cases the voltage, in this specific
case 15V DC, would be the same for each plug if a splitter was used.
Just as it would be if you used a splitter in your automobile
cigarette lighter, there is the same number of volts going to each
device.

And if you're drawing excessive current then the result won't be "low
current", it will be _no_ current as the fuse blows.

The odds of the event you describe being caused by an additional plug
on the system in question, imo, is zero. That said, one can imagine
because this system is aloft it may have a low tolerance for any
additional drain on a single fused, or circuit with fuse, per plug
design.

In any event, back to almost the original argument, plugging in an
aditional device does not halve the volts/amps. And going back *the*
original premise, Mr. notabushsupporter simply made a stupid gaff
remark based on his non-logical thought process, got caught out and
then tried to deny. Case closed, game, set, match.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,sci.electronics.design
Mxsmanic

R Brickston writes:

The odds of the event you describe being caused by an additional plug
on the system in question, imo, is zero.

Not if the receptacles are limited to 75 W. A single laptop can blow that;
two would definitely be riding the edge.

In any event, back to almost the original argument, plugging in an
aditional device does not halve the volts/amps.

A heavy load can lower the voltage in some cases.
Old June 4th, 2007, 07:04 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,sci.electronics.design
NotABushSupporter

R Brickston wrote:

The odds of the event you describe being caused by an additional plug
on the system in question, imo, is zero. That said, one can imagine
because this system is aloft it may have a low tolerance for any
additional drain on a single fused, or circuit with fuse, per plug
design.

In any event, back to almost the original argument, plugging in an
aditional device does not halve the volts/amps. And going back *the*
original premise, Mr. notabushsupporter simply made a stupid gaff
remark based on his non-logical thought process, got caught out and
then tried to deny. Case closed, game, set, match.

I didn't say it gave each device half the power. I said you couldn't
power 2 average laptops from one outlet.

In your post, YOU said "Sure, you get half the volts and amps to each
device. LOL! "

I said that the amount wouldn't be enough to power the average laptop.
I didn't say you would get half for each device.

You don't get a an unlimited amount power out of the socket.

https://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_...Technology.jsp
"with a maximum 75-watt capacity". How much power does the average
laptop use?

Old June 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,sci.electronics.design
J. Clarke[_2_]

NotABushSupporter wrote:
R Brickston wrote:

[...]

A laptop doesn't need "an unlimited amount of power".

https://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_...Technology.jsp
"with a maximum 75-watt capacity". How much power does the average
laptop use?

More than 75 watts, so clearly no laptop can be used with that outlet
according to your theory.

Old June 4th, 2007, 09:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,sci.electronics.design
NotABushSupporter

J. Clarke wrote:
NotABushSupporter wrote:

You don't get a an unlimited amount power out of the socket.

A laptop doesn't need "an unlimited amount of power".

No, but the response was relative to the plan using a splitter to share
the socket.

https://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_...Technology.jsp
"with a maximum 75-watt capacity". How much power does the average
laptop use?

More than 75 watts, so clearly no laptop can be used with that outlet
according to your theory.

Yeah, right.

1. The ability of the average laptop to use it, doesn't mean "no" laptop
can use `1it.

2. I think the average would be under 75. By aveage, I mean the average
maximum required.

I currently have a 65 watt AC adapter connected to it my Dell D610;

I have used my laptop on many flights. I have seen people have trouble
getting enough power from the airline power adapter for other models.
So, I stand by my reasoning that it would be unwise to count on using 2
laptops from a single adapter. Additionally, someone also indicated
something about an adapter in every other row. On an AA 777, in the
back, there not that many.
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,sci.electronics.design
R Brickston

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 23:04:50 -0700, NotABushSupporter
wrote:

R Brickston wrote:

[...]

You're still in denial on your original stupid statement. And now you
have the unmitigated gall to misquote a transcript that's openly
available to anyone who cares to google it:

I wrote: "Sure, you get half the volts and amps to each device. LOL!"

And you replied to that specific quote: "Which would not be enough to
power the aveage laptop. That is the point."

So, Mr. Clinton, the word "which" means in your above usage, "half the
volts."
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,sci.electronics.design
NotABushSupporter

wrote:

R Brickston wrote:

[...]

Yes, I was saying that 1/2 (of the 75) would not be enough to count on
for 2 laptops. I didn't say each would be limited to 1/2. You made that
statement. I wasn't agreeing with your statement. But... back to the
issue... If you try to use BOTH at the same time, there is a good chance
that neither will work.