Scammed in Mexico

Old June 12th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Foot loose

Default Scammed in Mexico

On 9th June, I met a guy who went by the name Ross Bullough who was
also staying in Monkey Hostel, Camppache. Ross, if thats his real
name, was a player in a night that set me back over US$400 (A lot for
a backpacker!).

After being intimidated into paying an outrageous bill at El Diamante
Bar just outside of Campache town, Ross slipped from the hostel in the
morning with another wad of US dollars of mine in his pocket. The
waiter in the Bar was Mateo Alfonso according to his ID.

Now I canīt work out this Ross guy, but heīs potentialy scamming his
way across Mexico. The story he told was that he was a Canadian
Paratrooper, in Cancun for R&R, and he was making his way to Alcapulco
to meet up with an old friend, perhaps itīs all fiction. In appearance
heīs got the build and manner of a military man, approx 33 years old
with dark hair.

Sound familiar?
Old June 12th, 2004, 02:46 AM
clint

Yes, I was in Campache(dressed as a woman) to avoid theives. A man, by the
name of "Ross" bought me a drink. I refused to accompany him to his hotel
room, and he left(quite rudely!)
om...

Old June 12th, 2004, 06:25 AM
Guess Who?

Clint
When you were in Campeche "dressed as a woman", having this drinkypoo
with "Ross", he didn't want to go to the restroom with you, before he
made that "indecent proposal" to you, did he?
It sounds like the original poster got mixed up with a "hugger
mugger"! Too bad!
At least, you kept your virtue. I wonder if the OP can say as much?
Don

Old June 13th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Brian K

On 06/11/2004 9:19 PM Foot loose consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

[...]

Doesn't sound familiar at all. How did he intimidate you to pay this big
bar tab? What? Are you a sucker for bar drinking games? How did he
know you had another wad of US dollars unless you flashed it? There's
something missing from this story. Did he promise you drugs and run off
you your buzz money?

When I travel anywhere, I don't let anyone know how much money I have in
cash. It just makes sense. If they don't know how much you got, scam
artists can't see you as a mark.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old June 13th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Joe Clancy

"clint" wrote in message ...
I say dress as an eldrly woman, you avoid all this "intrigue!"
"Brian K" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

These types of scams are not uncommon in Mexico, there's a guy in D.F
who's been running these scams for a couple of years. This guy is male
black(American), 35-40 y/o, 5'10". He claims to be a football player,
a reverend, his story is that his wife and kids are stranded, his
baggage was LOST with his passport and money and speaks no Spanish. He
targets lone tourists and asks for $200-$400-00 usd. with the promise
of payback. He tryed this scam with me but I smelled a rat right from
the beginning. Beware, this creep works 5 de Mayo and the Zocolo
Old June 13th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Brian K

On 06/13/2004 11:57 AM Joe Clancy consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

"clint" wrote in message ...

I say dress as an eldrly woman, you avoid all this "intrigue!"
"Brian K" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

I speak enough Spanish to get by. I did not experience such a scam perhaps because the perp could see that if he approached me that I would offer to call the local police for him and translate.
________

Old June 15th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Foot loose

Yes, the story sounds strange. To throw more flesh on the tale. After
drinks in the hostal with the other guests, myself and Ross, headed
out to find a local bar, which all turned out to be closing. Ross, who
speaks spanish (I dont) managed to get recommended this Bar.

After heading up there, Ross barrowered US$60 on dubious grounds (my
stupidity). Up to now, Ross who could be a confidence trickster, had
been talking about his Army work, his roots back in Troronto etc had
confinced me of his character. Everything he said could be a load of
Bull (including his name).

Inside the bar, which was a semi-strip bar. We were presented with a
US$400 bill, no private dances or any other cohorts were had, only
beer. Ross then appeared to get unusally jittery, for a Paratropper,
and was all keen to pay up and get out of there, suggesting the police
might be demanded money if they got involved. The manager was also off
the premises, according to Ross,who was doing all the spanish talk
with the staff. I was adamant on not paying and held out for over half
an hour. During this time Ross kept saying lets bail out, without even
trying to negotiate. Eventually I paid up (VISA), not thinking to get
Ross t pay his half there and then.

Anyway back in the Hostel, I asked for the cash, which then he says he
will cover in the morning from his safety depost box. In the morning I
saw Ross briefly, before he said he would make a quick call to bar
before we went up and spoke to the manager. Ross slipped away in this
pretence.

In thinking about it afterwards, some things did not add up. Ross
through the conversation had got the information that I was carrying
both Visa and US$200. Other behaviour only looked strange in the
outcome. He had said the Bar owner was a Texan, and an x-army man
(information which I did not questio stupidly), a seargant even the
same as Ross, who would see reason when we spoke with him in the
morning. My guess is that his name was fake, which makes it all the
more suspicious. I will be contacting the Canadian Paratroppers to see
if suck a person exists.

So, he took off with the $60 definetly, plus US$200 for his share of
the bill even if he was not involved in the other scam. the rest, who
knows. It may look like I am a real twit, but when you are backpacking
around Mexico, it is the Mexicans you watch out for, not your fellow
travellers, up to now anyhow.
Old June 15th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Guess Who?

Foot loose
Yep! Something sounds "fishy", about your whole adventure with this
"Ross"...
I hope you'll be more leery next time you meet up with a Canuck,
Ex-Paratrooper!
As G.W. Bush says, "Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, and
you'll never fool me again!"
Write the money off, as an expensive education, in dealing with
fellow travelers.
Don