Venice;

Old February 11th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Douglas Brown

Default Venice;

I would have visited Venice many times but for the (relatively) high cost of
the accommodation.
Can anyone recommend or rent me (+wife) a place resembling clean cheap and
comfortable?
We're prepared to self cater but B&B or hotel should be ok.
I'm celebrating 50 years of being alive in March (Friday 25th) hence the
search for a venue - although it may be impossible to go cheaply at that
time due to the Easter demand - I'd consider a week either side though and
any other time of year for future trips.
Anyway, I'd be pleased to hear any advice. We are responsible adults if you
are worried about recommending us to a personal friend!

Doug

Old February 11th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Beach Comber

My then fiance (now wife) and I went to Venice in the summer of 2003.
Rather than staying in the city we stayed out on Lido island. It is
about a 20 minute ride by water bus to St. Marks square, but the hotels
are much cheaper and the area is much quieter. Another advantage is
that Lido borders onto the Adriatic so you can go lie on the beach for
an hour in the morning before catching the boat for a day in the city.
I highly recommend it. We stayed in a 2-star, but the room was good
size and the staff very friendly.

Here is a link with another quick review I did of Lido along with a map
reference to show you where it is in relation to the city:

http://worldbeachlist.com/town.php?id=61590

Good luck and enjoy your 50th!

Beach Comber
http://worldbeachlist.com/

Old February 11th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Wierd Travelers

Besides Lido another choice is downtown Venice, not the tourist part
but the modern city.

Places are far cheaper and you can catch the local bus/train/taxi to
tourist Venice.

Old February 11th, 2005, 02:02 PM
B Vaughan

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:56:02 GMT, "Douglas Brown"
wrote:

I would have visited Venice many times but for the (relatively) high cost of
the accommodation.
Can anyone recommend or rent me (+wife) a place resembling clean cheap and
comfortable?
We're prepared to self cater but B&B or hotel should be ok.
I'm celebrating 50 years of being alive in March (Friday 25th) hence the
search for a venue - although it may be impossible to go cheaply at that
time due to the Easter demand - I'd consider a week either side though and
any other time of year for future trips.
Anyway, I'd be pleased to hear any advice. We are responsible adults if you
are worried about recommending us to a personal friend!

There are plenty of inexpensive hotels in Venice; I would prefer to
stay right in Venice not in outlying areas. I found some inexpensive
hotels in Let's Go, Italy a few years ago. Some of them might be too
basic for your tastes, but the descriptions in Let's Go are reliable
so you can guess if it's something acceptable.

Another reliable source of inexpensive hotels, a bit more upscale than
Let's Go, and without the detailed description, is www.fodors.com.
Click the city you're interested in under "Destinations". (For
Venice, you have to click "more" and scroll down on the next page.)
This will take you to the "Venice miniguide", which has lots of good
advice, including about hotels. For hotels, you can sort of various
criteria, including price.

With regard to Lido, another poster suggested that you could sun on
the beach. Believe me, around Easter you won't want to sun on the
beach. Especially this year, when it's in March.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old February 11th, 2005, 02:13 PM

Perhaps you should be less responsible and spend some money.

Old February 11th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Deep Foiled Malls

wrote:

I would have visited Venice many times but for the (relatively) high cost of
the accommodation.
Can anyone recommend or rent me (+wife) a place resembling clean cheap and
comfortable?
We're prepared to self cater but B&B or hotel should be ok.
I'm celebrating 50 years of being alive in March (Friday 25th) hence the
search for a venue - although it may be impossible to go cheaply at that
time due to the Easter demand - I'd consider a week either side though and
any other time of year for future trips.
Anyway, I'd be pleased to hear any advice. We are responsible adults if you
are worried about recommending us to a personal friend!

You can stay outside of Venice if you like, but realistically you
might as well just stay in a middle of the range place in Venice, as
it will only cost you maybe €30 - €40 more than if you stay elsewhere,
and it's nice to have a place close by so that if you get sick of
wandering around you can have a bit of a rest in your room mid
afternoon for example.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

Old February 11th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Frank F. Matthews

I suppose the question is what do you mean by cheap and comfortable. Do
you want a bath or will down the hall do? Will $200/night be cheap
(easy) or are you looking for $50 (unlikely)?

Old February 11th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
Douglas Brown typed:

I would have visited Venice many times but for the (relatively)
high
cost of the accommodation.
Can anyone recommend or rent me (+wife) a place resembling
clean
cheap and comfortable?

The question, as always when people ask for such recommendations,
is what do *you* mean by "cheap and comfortable"? We all have
different standards of what we consider cheap, and you also need
to define what comforts (for example, a private bath? an
elevator?) you require.

So you'll get more and better recommendations if you can define
those terms.

Beware the advice of those who will recommend accomodations on
the Lido , or worse, in Mestre. Although you can find cheaper
accomodations in either of those places, I think it makes no
sense to travel that far from home and become a commuter. Besides
all the inconvenience of not staying in the heart of Venice,
calculate how much your total vacation will cost you per hour
you're awake in Venice. Then multiply the number of hours you'd
spend commuting by that rate, and you'll see that the supposed
savings is actually a cost.

Personally, the location of a hotel is always the most important
criterion for me in choosing a hotel. I would much rather stay in
a simple modest hotel in the heart of Venice than in a grand
palatial suite in a hotel on the Lido or in Mestre, even if the
suite were cheaper.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old February 11th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Phred Bear

"Wierd Travelers" wrote in message
oups.com...
Besides Lido another choice is downtown Venice, not the tourist part
but the modern city.

Places are far cheaper and you can catch the local bus/train/taxi to
tourist Venice.

I think you will find that most people here are talking about Venice in
Italy. Not the one in either Louisiana or Illinois or Florida or even Los
Angeles.

As you may not be aware, it is difficult to catch a taxi in Venice, Italy,
because the streets are full of water.