Venice;

Old February 12th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Frank Clarke

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 22:40:50 -0000, "Phred Bear" wrote:

As you may not be aware, it is difficult to catch a taxi in Venice, Italy,
because the streets are full of water.

Poor drainage? ;-)

(change Arabic number to Roman numeral to email)
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Rather than staying in the city we stayed out on Lido island.

This is SUPERB advice. Take a look at www.venere.com and start comparing
the Lido hotels to the mainland ones. The disadvantage to Lido is that
there are actually a few vehicles there with tires that operate on
gasoline--though you will hardly notice them amidst the lush beauty. In
fact, it is a a resort atmosphere that tends to be NICER than any resort you
have ever stayed at. Lido is gorgeous, and the vapo ride to San Marco (all
15 minutes of it) is lucious--and the prices are excellent. A NO brainer,
unless you are intensely committed to a romantic/claustrophobic ideal of
what Venice is supposed to be.

Old February 12th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message
http://www.geocities.com/petelory/

"Douglas Brown" wrote in message
I would have visited Venice many times but for the (relatively) high cost

of
the accommodation.
Can anyone recommend or rent me (+wife) a place resembling clean cheap
and
comfortable?
We're prepared to self cater but B&B or hotel should be ok.
I'm celebrating 50 years of being alive in March (Friday 25th) hence the
search for a venue - although it may be impossible to go cheaply at that
time due to the Easter demand - I'd consider a week either side though
and
any other time of year for future trips.
Anyway, I'd be pleased to hear any advice. We are responsible adults if

you
are worried about recommending us to a personal friend!

Doug

Old February 12th, 2005, 04:52 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

cheesy

cheesier

cheesiest

Old February 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Bob Fusillo

If you mean by the below the flat I recommended, I wonder how you know or
what your basis of comparison is.
I am a regular resident of Venice, and have lived there on and off -- in all
kinds of accomodations -- for 45 years. The flat -- the Pete Bell
address -- is to my knowledge, by far the best value, best location, best
equipped place under 250 euros a nite anywhere in town. The landlord is an
international banker who has won major awards for his musical -- classical
and jazz-- compositions. The flat is clean and the neighbors are nice
people. What kind of cheese do you prefer?
rjf

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote in message
cheesy

cheesier

cheesiest

Old February 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
Bob Fusillo typed:

If you mean by the below the flat I recommended, I wonder how
you
know or what your basis of comparison is.
I am a regular resident of Venice, and have lived there on and
off --
in all kinds of accomodations -- for 45 years. The flat -- the
Pete
Bell
address -- is to my knowledge, by far the best value, best
location,
best equipped place under 250 euros a nite anywhere in town.

I missed your earlier message. Would you mind posting the info
about the flat again. I don't expect to visit Venice again this
year, but maybe next year.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old February 12th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Douglas W. Hoyt

"Bob Fusillo" wrote in message
If you mean by the below the flat I recommended, I wonder how you know or
what your basis of comparison is.

No, I apologize. I trust your judgement and if you recommend it I believe
you. But next time I go to the website I'll turn off the sound!

Old February 12th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Bob Fusillo

The music IS a bit soppy. Odd. The melody is one he used in a classical
quartet that won a Gold Lion Award two years ago. But the quartet was not
like that. On the second page there is a link to some info about nite
life -- Piero plays piano on it with a group of jazz musicians and it is
rather nice. He keeps after me to do a concert with him, but I think I am
past it. Really a nice guy, and a very thoughtful landlord.

Old February 12th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Bob Fusillo

"Ken Blake" wrote in message

I missed your earlier message. Would you mind posting the info
about the flat again. I don't expect to visit Venice again this
year, but maybe next year.

http://www.geocities.com/petelory/

OK, so turn down the sound. At least on the first page.

Old February 12th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Mimi

"Douglas W. Hoyt" wrote in message
Rather than staying in the city we stayed out on Lido island.

This is SUPERB advice. Take a look at www.venere.com and start comparing
the Lido hotels to the mainland ones. The disadvantage to Lido is that
there are actually a few vehicles there with tires that operate on
gasoline--though you will hardly notice them amidst the lush beauty. In
fact, it is a a resort atmosphere that tends to be NICER than any resort
you have ever stayed at. Lido is gorgeous, and the vapo ride to San Marco
(all 15 minutes of it) is lucious--and the prices are excellent. A NO
brainer, unless you are intensely committed to a romantic/claustrophobic
ideal of what Venice is supposed to be.

In which case you will be disappointed. I didn't think the Lido was so
great. The vast majority of the beaches are private with walls blocking off
the view from the street. The town is pleasant, but not unlike lots of towns
in Italy. The only thing special is the vaporetto to Venice.

Staying in Mestre or the Lido is just not the Venice experience. Better than
nothing but not the real Venice experience.

Marianne