any recommendations for an AI in Caribbean in May?

Old February 20th, 2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.resorts.all-inclusive

Default any recommendations for an AI in Caribbean in May?

Hi,
My husband and I would like to spend a week in mid-May at an
all-inclusive in the Caribbean area. Anyone have any suggestions. I
have been looking at Couples and Sandals in Jamaica, but I'm open to
anything. The following are most important to us:
1) good watersports - especially scuba, snorkeling and kayaking
2) Clean accomodations that are not too noisy at night when we are
trying to sleep
3) Good beaches or nice pools to relax when not doing activities
Thanks!

Old March 8th, 2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.travel.resorts.all-inclusive

OH, I totally agree with GL Negril. Was there in January, nude beach side
(the only place we got nude though was in the room). No one under 18
allowed on the property. Hedo II is across the street. When we were there,
it was totally booked by a private group and "tours" were not permitted.
Hedo II sometimes is accessible by Grand Lido guests.

When you come on the "free" shuttle from the airport you are met at the
front by a bell person who takes care of the bags. They will be delivered
to your room promptly after check-in.

You walk down an outside, covered hallway to the check-in area. They will
offer you your first drink while you sit and relax on the couch while the
staff checks you in. You are then escorted to the room and shown around
your fairly large room. Our room had a king bed (actually twins pushed
together with a king sheet), TV and bureau and two night tables on the upper
level. Step down two steps to the lower level and you have a desk, couch
and coffee table. The bathroom has the usual toilet and sink and our unit
had a Jacuzzi tub with shower. Don't know if all units had this.

People were extremely friendly, bars were close enough you didn't have to
walk a mile for the drinks. Their top shelf booze is not really top shelf.
They had JW Black and Red & Chavis for scotch and two Appletons for rum and
these are the only hard stuff I drink. Beer is many of the US brands but
they also had the necessary Red Stripe. Even had free mini-bar in room
stocked each day with beer, soft drinks, etc.

Food - 24 hour room service is fairly good but not excellent.

Breakfast and lunch are buffet style and the selection and quality is good
to very good. During breakfast there was a duo playing acoustic guitar and
cello (SP). They were good enough that my wife and I asked if they had a CD
of their music. They were sold out unfortunately. Evening music is also
quite good with their house band.

Dinner - Regular dinner is in a restaurant style setting with table service.
No reservation needed at the main restaurant. Food was excellent. Well
presented and prepared.

There is a few specialty restaurants (make reservations the day you check
in.) French was excellent. Great taste in the food and service was
spectacular. Japanese was very good to excellent and I really don't care
too much for Japanese cooking. Food here was cooked right at the table (as
usual in a JAP. restaurant.) The "chef" was one of the funniest people I
have ever seen. Kept the whole table in stitches while he cooked the food.
He could have passed for a true Japanese cook the way he handled his cooking
tools but he was Jamaican. Didn't try the Italian (pasta & pizza.)

Scuba is extra but there is snorkeling, wind surfing, Hobie Cat sailing (two
size boats, get the larger of the two as the smaller is hard to handle in
some weather conditions), kayaking are all available. There is a nude beach
side and a modest side to the resort. You don't need to see the nudes unless
you are lucky enough to get a ground floor room on the nude beach side like
we did. It's great to look out your French doors to the patio and see a
couple playing nude chess on the life-size chess board. Plenty of lounge
chairs at the pool and the beaches. Pool is good size and this is where the
resort scuba course is conducted. There is also a daily exercise class in
the pool.

Now, let me say that you get what you pay for sometimes and sometimes you
don't. This resort, while not the cheapest, is 200% better than SuperClubs
cheaper by $500 for 7 nights (1 step down in their brands) Breezes resort.
I stayed at Breezes, Cable Beach, Nassau and that trip was a total disaster.

Hope this review helps.

Old June 2nd, 2006, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.resorts.all-inclusive

lox wrote:

Hi,
My husband and I would like to spend a week in mid-May at an
all-inclusive in the Caribbean area. Anyone have any suggestions. I
have been looking at Couples and Sandals in Jamaica, but I'm open to
anything. The following are most important to us:
1) good watersports - especially scuba, snorkeling and kayaking
2) Clean accomodations that are not too noisy at night when we are
trying to sleep
3) Good beaches or nice pools to relax when not doing activities
Thanks!

Not "Official" Caribbean, but the Club Med, Columbus Isle (San Salvador Island,
Bahamas) comes to mind. Some of the very best diving in the hemisphere. Good
snorkeling, kayaks, sailing, beautiful beach, etc... Very quiet in the evening.
For a faster paced resort, with more active nightlife (but still not moisy), check
Club Med, Turkoise (Turks & Cacios). Also great diving, good snorkeling, I think
they just added kayaks, but not positive, sailing, beautiful 12 mile beach.
Check my trip reports and pictures from both at:
www.hammocktree.org/ms/trips.html
Mike