Is Bangkok safe?

Old September 19th, 2006, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thailand
Kiran

Default Is Bangkok safe?

Just heard about a real/attempted coup in Thailand. I had never thought
of Thailand as an unsafe place, but am a little concrened as my cousin
is planning to visit Bangkok in March '07. To get to the point, can
Bangkok be ragrded as reasonably safe for tourists or should I advise
my cousin to skip it now and visit it some other time?
Old September 19th, 2006, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thailand
Frank F. Matthews

Kiran wrote:

Just heard about a real/attempted coup in Thailand. I had never thought
of Thailand as an unsafe place, but am a little concrened as my cousin
is planning to visit Bangkok in March '07. To get to the point, can
Bangkok be ragrded as reasonably safe for tourists or should I advise
my cousin to skip it now and visit it some other time?

I would not consider anywhere undergoing a coup to be safe. However it
is likely that things will be quite calm by March. Probably all will be
settled by next week.

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thailand
nobody[_1_]

Kiran wrote:

Just heard about a real/attempted coup in Thailand. I had never thought
of Thailand as an unsafe place, but am a little concrened as my cousin
is planning to visit Bangkok in March '07.

There have been something line 18 coups in the last 6 decades if I
remember the statistic correctly. None of they have been severely
bloodly. The king is still in power and will probably choose a new prime
minister very soon. Seems that it is the normal way to make big changes
in Thailand's governments. Remember that the last election was
controversial in Thailand.
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thailand
mrtravel[_1_]

nobody wrote:

Kiran wrote:

Just heard about a real/attempted coup in Thailand. I had never thought
of Thailand as an unsafe place, but am a little concrened as my cousin
is planning to visit Bangkok in March '07.

There have been something line 18 coups in the last 6 decades if I
remember the statistic correctly. None of they have been severely
bloodly. The king is still in power and will probably choose a new prime
minister very soon. Seems that it is the normal way to make big changes
in Thailand's governments. Remember that the last election was
controversial in Thailand.

Of course, in the last election, the PM won by a landslide....
I guess the King and military leaders didn't like that.
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thailand
nobody[_1_]

mrtravel wrote:
Of course, in the last election, the PM won by a landslide....
I guess the King and military leaders didn't like that.

The opposition boycotted the election. So obviously, those who voted
voted for Mr Takshen.
Old September 20th, 2006, 02:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia,soc.culture.thailand
mrtravel[_1_]

nobody wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

Of course, in the last election, the PM won by a landslide....
I guess the King and military leaders didn't like that.

The opposition boycotted the election. So obviously, those who voted
voted for Mr Takshen.

I see.. Boycotting instead of voting makes a lot of sense
Then, when you lose, you get rid of the PM by using the military
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Gerrit 't Hart

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..
nobody wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

Of course, in the last election, the PM won by a landslide....
I guess the King and military leaders didn't like that.

The opposition boycotted the election. So obviously, those who voted
voted for Mr Takshen.

I see.. Boycotting instead of voting makes a lot of sense
Then, when you lose, you get rid of the PM by using the military

I thought the OP's question was about safety in Thailand for tourists not
the relative merits of the government vs military.
As someone has said earlier there have been lots of coups in Thailand and we
don't hear of too many safety issues for tourists. I was there soon after
one of these coups and apart from a few soldiers on strategic street corners
we didn't notice a thing.

Gerrit

Old September 20th, 2006, 07:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Peter Webb

"Gerrit 't Hart" wrote in message

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..
nobody wrote:
mrtravel wrote:

Of course, in the last election, the PM won by a landslide....
I guess the King and military leaders didn't like that.

The opposition boycotted the election. So obviously, those who voted
voted for Mr Takshen.

I see.. Boycotting instead of voting makes a lot of sense
Then, when you lose, you get rid of the PM by using the military

I thought the OP's question was about safety in Thailand for tourists not
the relative merits of the government vs military.
As someone has said earlier there have been lots of coups in Thailand and
we
don't hear of too many safety issues for tourists. I was there soon after
one of these coups and apart from a few soldiers on strategic street
corners
we didn't notice a thing.

Gerrit

I was their during the last one (92 or so ?). The reason I knew it was
happening because the traffic was in worse gridlock than usual, and I asked
a tuk-tuk driver waht was going on. He told me that it was due to the large
(but peaceful) street demonstrations. In Thailand, business always go on as
usual, and there is no better business than tourism.

Don't worry about it.

Old September 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
ant[_7_]

Peter Webb wrote:
Don't worry about it.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-c...dvice/Thailand

--
ant
Don't try to email me;

Old September 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

nobody wrote:
Kiran wrote:

Just heard about a real/attempted coup in Thailand. I had never thought
of Thailand as an unsafe place, but am a little concrened as my cousin
is planning to visit Bangkok in March '07.

There have been something line 18 coups in the last 6 decades if I
remember the statistic correctly. None of they have been severely
bloodly. The king is still in power and will probably choose a new prime
minister very soon. Seems that it is the normal way to make big changes
in Thailand's governments. Remember that the last election was
controversial in Thailand.

October is usual coup month dont worry abt March. this ones a bit early