London's Heathrow Airport T3, T4 questions

Old February 12th, 2007, 09:28 AM posted to soc.culture.british,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.local.london
Kiran

Default London's Heathrow Airport T3, T4 questions

Thanks to all who generously helped with advice and information on how
to get to South Croydon from Heathrow. I have a couple more questions:

1. I would be arriving in T3 (American Airlines). Is there a shop there
where I could buy a SIM card for my mobile phone (unlocked, gsm, has
the right frequencies)?

2. A few days later, I have to see someone off at T3 (American). Then I
have to catch a BA flight from T4 myself. (This flight leaves 1 hr
after the earlier one from T3.)

How long should I allow to commute between the two terminals? What is
the fastest way? Can I walk?
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:16 AM posted to soc.culture.british,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.local.london
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 09:28:48 on Mon, 12
Feb 2007, Kiran remarked:
Thanks to all who generously helped with advice and information on how
to get to South Croydon from Heathrow. I have a couple more questions:

1. I would be arriving in T3 (American Airlines). Is there a shop there
where I could buy a SIM card for my mobile phone (unlocked, gsm, has
the right frequencies)?

The easiest to find will probably be a Virgin PAYG SIM, which will cost
£5 including £5 of airtime. You can then buy vouchers to top it up. I'm
not sure if you'll find a suitable shop landside at the terminal though,
most of them are airside/departures at Heathrow.

2. A few days later, I have to see someone off at T3 (American). Then I
have to catch a BA flight from T4 myself. (This flight leaves 1 hr
after the earlier one from T3.)

How long should I allow to commute between the two terminals? What is
the fastest way?

The Heathrow Express train, which is free between the two terminals. The
journey takes about five minutes, and there's a train every 15 minutes.

Allowing time to get to the T123 station (the T4 station is much closer
to its terminal building), I'd allow half an hour. Remember that you
also need to allow the normal time to check in and clear security at T4.

Can I walk?

No, it' the other side of the apron.
--
Roland Perry
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM posted to soc.culture.british,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.local.london
Skokkie

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 09:28:48 on Mon, 12
Feb 2007, Kiran remarked:
Thanks to all who generously helped with advice and information on how
to get to South Croydon from Heathrow. I have a couple more questions:

1. I would be arriving in T3 (American Airlines). Is there a shop there
where I could buy a SIM card for my mobile phone (unlocked, gsm, has
the right frequencies)?

The easiest to find will probably be a Virgin PAYG SIM, which will cost
£5 including £5 of airtime. You can then buy vouchers to top it up. I'm
not sure if you'll find a suitable shop landside at the terminal though,
most of them are airside/departures at Heathrow.

You cannot buy one until you are past customs and inside the terminal
We keep two on hand here in SA. We use them ourselves and also loan them to
people who are going over, They are then available on mobile when they step
off the plane and can tell people in the departure longe about their
progress. They can also organise contacts with people before they leave,
knowing what their number will be.

Would it be a bit of a moneyspinner for Virgin to sell PAYG cards at the
major airports in other countries? Use their existing Virgin outlets or do
it through the airline? The advantage of having lots of people arrive in the
UK as established virgin customers would be amazin. Make em show their
passports before they buy one and the surveillance society is satisfied

Old February 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM posted to soc.culture.british,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.local.london
AKT

Roland Perry wrote:

: The easiest to find will probably be a Virgin PAYG SIM... I'm
: not sure if you'll find a suitable shop landside at the terminal though,
: most of them are airside/departures at Heathrow.

I don't know Heathrow, but does it make any business sense to try to
sell UK sim cards to people who are departing the country?
Old February 12th, 2007, 07:40 PM posted to soc.culture.british,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.local.london
Skokkie

"AKT" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:

: The easiest to find will probably be a Virgin PAYG SIM... I'm
: not sure if you'll find a suitable shop landside at the terminal though,
: most of them are airside/departures at Heathrow.

I don't know Heathrow, but does it make any business sense to try to
sell UK sim cards to people who are departing the country?

Seriously It would make good business sense to sell them simcards for the
countries that they are departing to.

Old February 12th, 2007, 08:24 PM posted to soc.culture.british,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,alt.travel.uk.air,uk.local.london
TMOliver

"Skokkie" wrote ...

"AKT" wrote ...
Roland Perry wrote:

: The easiest to find will probably be a Virgin PAYG SIM... I'm
: not sure if you'll find a suitable shop landside at the terminal
though,
: most of them are airside/departures at Heathrow.

I don't know Heathrow, but does it make any business sense to try to
sell UK sim cards to people who are departing the country?

Seriously It would make good business sense to sell them simcards for the
countries that they are departing to.

....And echoes my complaint that I've never seen anyone selling or renting
"Wal-Mart" cheap ($14.99 for the phone alone this week, plus preload cards
at a variety of prices/loadouts) in the arrival terminals. Even a
reasonably priced "QuickRent" with modest charges to/fm one's home country
might go like hotcakes, using a deposit refunded on turnin at departure.

The secret is "Point of sale", putting the product near the customers who
want/need it...

TMO

Old February 12th, 2007, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

Magda wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:08:49 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, Deeply Filled Mortician
arranged some electrons, so they looked like
this:

... Yeah - to Brits who are going abroad on vacation or business and believe
... (even though it may not be the case) that airport shopping is cheaper.
... I have never found much in the way of bargains in airports.

IME it's not worth it, either. Once I was already at the airport waiting for my flight
when I realised that I had forgotten my perfume at home. I bought another flask there; it
was about 5 Euro cheaper than the usual price. Big deal...

What is your favoured scent, luv...???

--
Best
Greg

Old February 12th, 2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

Martin wrote:

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:08:49 +0100, Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

Let is be knownst that on Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:09:57 -0600,
writted:

*From:* AKT
*Date:* Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:41:06 GMT

Roland Perry wrote:

: The easiest to find will probably be a Virgin PAYG SIM... I'm
: not sure if you'll find a suitable shop landside at the terminal
though, : most of them are airside/departures at Heathrow.

I don't know Heathrow, but does it make any business sense to try to
sell UK sim cards to people who are departing the country?

Yeah - to Brits who are going abroad on vacation or business and believe
(even though it may not be the case) that airport shopping is cheaper.

I have never found much in the way of bargains in airports.

There used to be lots at Schiphol in the real Duty Free days. I bought nearly
all my camera stuff there.

Dixons (Currys whatever) at UK airports sells stuff minus tax. I bought
my partner another ipod (shuffle) on a recent trip. Technically, I think
you're liable to that tax when you re-enter, but I've never been stopped
by customs on a flight into the UK from anywhere, and don't expect to
be...

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne-